IGNORED

my first spot and stalk deer

Kype

after recovering this deer i realized that it was a button buck. I am still VERY proud of this deer even know it is a button buck. please dont judge me for shooting a button. i did not know it was one until i recovered it. 

so here we go. last night i posted a thread under general hunting asking if anyone was heading out today 11/14. my concern was the high winds. i also stated that with my job i was limited to hunting with being on call last week and working next Saturday. so i woke up at 4am and decided to go on a deer hunt despite the winds, who knows what will happen. 

i get in stand at 530am. winds are blowing like crazy, im sitting in my tree stand and the tree is moving back and forth, leaves blowing everywhere. i asked my self what am i doing here etc.. around 730am i saw 3 does to my right running full speed through a thicket. never saw them again. around 8am i saw 3 more does running the edge of field and disappeared. By 830am i had it with the wind. i made a decision to drop the bow down and climb out. 

behind my treestand about 40 yards is a drainage ditch. never has water in it, only during massive rain events although that ditch is always moist and quite enough to walk on. on any other given hunt i will make a hard right and walk to a trail that takes me back to my truck. today something stopped me and made a left. i decided to walk the ditch to an area that i know deer always bed down in. i would say this ditch is 100 yards long. i walked that ditch this morning as slow as i ever walked. everything was perfect to sneek up on where i know deer bed down. i was quite, wind was at my face. i already had an arrow knocked and my trigger on the loop. i get the end and i see a deer. the deer sees me, stands up, turns quartering away from me. i took the shot. my arrow went right through the heart. the deer ran at most 20 yards. pretty proud of myself for taking my time and walking really slow and getting close enough for shot with a bow.  i am celebrating tonight with a backstrap dinner, baked potatoe, and green beans. 

here he is.

1114150829.jpg