IGNORED

cracked Carlson choke tube!

mazzgolf

12 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Anyone ever have this happen to you? I was looking at my choke tubes tonight and just saw this.... !@#$% :angry: 

choke-tube-cracked-2.jpg.229e1097f859c695c956663952a6c2d3.jpgchoke-tube-cracked-1.jpg.5593931669103520348f6d82a753b152.jpg

by our Lifetime Warranty! If any damage would occur with your choke tube/s just package them up and mail it to us for a replacement. Please call or e-mail us prior to sending the choke tube back for replacement.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

I just emailed the Carlson people. I did see that lifetime warranty statement they have on their website. Unfortunately, duck season ends in 4 weeks. So I doubt I will get a replacement in time. Looks like I'll just use a factory choke in the meantime.

I have never shot anything other than normal factory loads through this - the only thing that has gone through this choke tube is steelshot and lead shot, sizes between #7.5 through BB. Just normal target loads, waterfowl loads, and pheasant loads.

17 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Wow! That looks eerily similar! Snow goose hunt - was it really cold that day? When it happened to me, it was very cold outside -- in the teens Fahrenheit. Wonder if the cold makes it brittle?

They're made of stainless steel, pretty thin, thinner than the hull of the Titanic.Tragic on the Victory ships,broke in half ww11 Susceptible to frigid weather.

https://www.cliftonsteel.com/knowledge-center/thermal-cracking

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

33 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Wow! That looks eerily similar! Snow goose hunt - was it really cold that day? When it happened to me, it was very cold outside -- in the teens Fahrenheit. Wonder if the cold makes it brittle?

It was a pretty cold day , but I don’t believe it was that cold ! We had been jump shooting birds all afternoon , and I was running 3-1/2” black cloud bb  so the choke had been taking a beating but within reason and covered under warrant . 

Carlsons was no questioned asked , they replaced it no issues. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my replacement Carlson Cremator choke in the mail. I had to mail in the cracked one first - once they got it, they sent me back a new one to replace it.

They also sent with it a choke wrench and a plastic case that can hold 3 chokes - nothing elaborate, but even though it's a cheapie choke case, I have a use for it, so that was nice.

On 12/28/2022 at 9:21 PM, mazzgolf said:

Anyone ever have this happen to you? I was looking at my choke tubes tonight and just saw this.... !@#$% :angry: 

choke-tube-cracked-2.jpg.229e1097f859c695c956663952a6c2d3.jpgchoke-tube-cracked-1.jpg.5593931669103520348f6d82a753b152.jpg

Carlson is a good company I would bet they replace it with no hassle.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

1 hour ago, mazzgolf said:

Just got my replacement Carlson Cremator choke in the mail. I had to mail in the cracked one first - once they got it, they sent me back a new one to replace it.

They also sent with it a choke wrench and a plastic case that can hold 3 chokes - nothing elaborate, but even though it's a cheapie choke case, I have a use for it, so that was nice.

Great they stood behind their product.

Did they have any thoughts on the matter? Possible cause?

2 minutes ago, Jim_ said:

Great they stood behind their product.

Did they have any thoughts on the matter? Possible cause?

They never said a word about it. Just "our apologizes - send it in and we'll get you a new one." I get the feeling they've seen this kind of failure more than once (well, more than twice, since @Bad64chevelle said he got a new one due to an almost identical failure).

They received my broken one on January 4 (I sent it Priority Mail on the 29th). I got a new today, the 9th. So, I can't complain about the turnaround. I received a new one 5 days after they got my old one.