IGNORED

Jerky Sticks

Nanuk

So I figured I try to make these with ordinary ground beef before I screw around with Venison . Mix 5 lbs of ground beef with HiMountain Inferno cut with brown sugar for a sweet heat . Just threw them in set it at 160 and we’ll play it by ear .. Anyone have experience with this and what temps worked for you . 

A2E13723-78C7-4384-97C6-7DDFFE901C25.jpeg

850C405B-0516-4EE7-A561-1680386A242F.jpeg

E975B9F4-EE33-48CF-AE6E-C8EC6B46A686.jpeg

Well to be completely honest I don’t like they way mine came out … inferno is just what it is hot as shit even after cutting it . The texture is ok but I’ve done this with ground beef once before and had a similar outcome. The beef fat renders too easily leaving a dry crumbly texture . Now I will say they ain’t horrible but not my taste . Gonna try a small batch of snack sticks with casing , I like those better z. 

1 minute ago, Nanuk said:

Well to be completely honest I don’t like they way mine came out … inferno is just what it is hot as shit even after cutting it . The texture is ok but I’ve done this with ground beef once before and had a similar outcome. The beef fat renders too easily leaving a dry crumbly texture . Now I will say they ain’t horrible but not my taste . Gonna try a small batch of snack sticks with casing , I like those better z. 

I felt exactly the same when I did mine .

the extra time stuffing the casings just seems to be a much better product .

with def a better mouth appeal .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

15 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

I felt exactly the same when I did mine .

the extra time stuffing the casings just seems to be a much better product .

with def a better mouth appeal .

Beef is best left for whole muscle jerky . Ground pork and Venison just work well together  and that’s all there is to it . I won’t waste my time with ground beef again …  Thai weekend small trial batch of venison / pork snack sticks in casings . 

When I do it with venison, I don't use casings mainly because I like them thinner. I use very little pork fat(10%) and use the curing and seasoning from the high mountain jerky packs but tweak the flavor to what I want. I try to keep the temp at 160 and rotate them often. When using the SmokinIt smoker much like yours I use a fan that increases air flow and draws the moisture out. You do need to stay on top of it as you have a small wind for it to dry out. I think the extra cure gives a firmer product. They aren't moist like a slim jim but moist enough to where the consistency isn't compromised. 

I found I can get away with more fat when done on the recteq though.  

1 hour ago, Hunter115522 said:

I do my snack sticks 50% pork, and 50% venison. For my taste it's the perfect balance and fat amount. 

Yeah , this was a trial Beef only without casing … no bueno 👎🏼 Edible but not my liking, I like slim Jim sticks with a casing  or whole muscle strips