IGNORED

All Around Midshore Rod

Greg

I currently have a star rods 7’ (sgb70h) spinner that sucks for casting and lighter lures. I have it paired with a saragosa 8k spooled with 50lb braid and a too heavy of a top shot I’m gonna drop down to 30lb momoi. The rod has landed bft’s and mahi so it does the job, just not well enough I think.

Would need to be able to do it all from  throwing a plug to a ronz for bft/yft’s and would also need to be able to  cast lighter lures such as a bucktail or waxwing at pots for mahi.

Yes I’m aware two rods would be better and am willing for a little trade off for convinience as I do alot of trips on buddys boat and we have multiple rods filling up holders as is and true plugging rods are available on the boat for use if targeting topwater.

In my opinion your not going to get the performance you are looking for trying to have an all around rod fir such a wide variety.  I think the closest you will get is the trevala jigging rod.  But even than using a spinning reel with capacity to handle the tuna you seek your going to drastically cut down your casting

13 minutes ago, Greg said:

I currently have a star rods 7’ (sgb70h) spinner that sucks for casting and lighter lures. I have it paired with a saragosa 8k spooled with 50lb braid and a too heavy of a top shot I’m gonna drop down to 30lb momoi. The rod has landed bft’s and mahi so it does the job, just not well enough I think.

Would need to be able to do it all from  throwing a plug to a ronz for bft/yft’s and would also need to be able to  cast lighter lures such as a bucktail or waxwing at pots for mahi.

Yes I’m aware two rods would be better and am willing for a little trade off for convinience as I do alot of trips on buddys boat and we have multiple rods filling up holders as is and true plugging rods are available on the boat for use if targeting topwater.

On the road you described what is the most common fish and size you've caught in the last year?

Most guys ain't putting a lot of pressure on fish. I would definitely lower the briad strength to 30lb or even 20lb. More line capacity. Also if casting is your main concern go with a rod that has a faster tip or even try an 8' length. The lighter briad will help casting distance. 

10 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

Also, the best braid for casting from a spinning reel is Jerry Brown, without a doubt....I use on ALL my spinning reels.

Try Berkley X9 , save a ton of money and you will also like it .

I use it for both fresh water , and salt on a ton of different sized reels .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

29 minutes ago, Greg said:

2 different rods would fit those choices way better than using the wrong one for both .

as well as no need for that large a reel for pot fishing mahi , heck a 4000 is plenty 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

Like others say it's hard to pin point just one.    But , laugh at me all you want , my spinning combo uglystick seatiger with a penn 10500 slammer never once let me down yet, 60lb yellow fin/blue fin have been caught on this setup many of times, and probably cost me $ under $400 , I know there are better setups, but I can't afford them, lol

1 hour ago, Dominant buck said:

Like others say it's hard to pin point just one.    But , laugh at me all you want , my spinning combo uglystick seatiger with a penn 10500 slammer never once let me down yet, 60lb yellow fin/blue fin have been caught on this setup many of times, and probably cost me $ under $400 , I know there are better setups, but I can't afford them, lol

If you go to Alaska . About 85% of the outfits you will see are tiger lite jigging rods (79 bucks)  , with Penn LD fathoms on them .(229 bucks ) 

they land fish from 100-350 pounds on them every day of their season .year after year .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

3 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

Try Berkley X9 , save a ton of money and you will also like it .

I use it for both fresh water , and salt on a ton of different sized reels .

I just looked at this.....not a hollow core. Most of mine is hollow, so that I can splice an end loop. So probably would not be what I would use. Also, VERY thick diameter. I looked at the Pro Spec which is also very large diameter compared to others. If diameter doesn't matter, I use Cortland c16. Cortland C16 comes in a 40 lb hollow and the Seagar threadlock comes in a 50 lb hollow. All my Stellas & jigging reels are spooled with JB Hollow one & my conventional bait reels have c16. 

7 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

I just looked at this.....not a hollow core. Most of mine is hollow, so that I can splice an end loop. So probably would not be what I would use. Also, VERY thick diameter. I looked at the Pro Spec which is also very large diameter compared to others. If diameter doesn't matter, I use Cortland c16. Cortland C16 comes in a 40 lb hollow and the Seagar threadlock comes in a 50 lb hollow. All my Stellas & jigging reels are spooled with JB Hollow one & my conventional bait reels have c16. 

Why splice when you can use a simple perfection loop to accomplish the same thing? Serious question not busting balls

AWM

1 hour ago, nmc02 said:

X9 is one of the thinnest braids there is .

your hollow core in same poundage is 30% thicker across the board .

I guarantee you set on the same rod throwing a popper there is NO WAY the hollow core will even cast 2/3 as far 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

3 hours ago, MGHunter66 said:

Why splice when you can use a simple perfection loop to accomplish the same thing? Serious question not busting balls

When tuna fishing or any type, want as smooth transition as possible through guides. Loop to loop connection (like attaching a fly leader to flyline) is smoothest transition there is....big fish always find weakest point. I was having conversation w a very good captain recently and he was shocked when I told him I crimp hooks on when using light leader for leader shy tuna....crimp hooks on 30 & 50 lb flouro leader. This allows for breaking strength to remain the same. Any knot will lessen true strength of line, except crimp. Some argue a Palomar does not.