IGNORED

Daily Check-In, Motivation and Accountability Thread

Rug do you worry about you insulin levels with all the fasting ?Your Pancreas .  Do you worry about your micro nutrients ? I know 3 to 4 hour fast before cardio and then eating right after works. 12 hour fast at night works well . Mostly when sleeping . With your workouts which are pretty heavy a protein shake  may not be enough .Protein shake is not a replacement for clean food and maintaining Muscle . I know your eating steak which is great but you may need  to do that daily . Check out the vertical diet by Stan Effering . Watch his videos he explains a lot about diet and  nutrition . You can PM me I will tell what my 66 years of experience has taught me . I am no body builder or power lifter just stay in decent shape and have done it all except steroids . Still workout on regular basis and try to eat good . Still like a beer and pizza . LOL 

Frank 

33 minutes ago, electricstart said:

Rug do you worry about you insulin levels with all the fasting ?Your Pancreas .  Do you worry about your micro nutrients ? I know 3 to 4 hour fast before cardio and then eating right after works. 12 hour fast at night works well . Mostly when sleeping . With your workouts which are pretty heavy a protein shake  may not be enough .Protein shake is not a replacement for clean food and maintaining Muscle . I know your eating steak which is great but you may need  to do that daily . Check out the vertical diet by Stan Effering . Watch his videos he explains a lot about diet and  nutrition . You can PM me I will tell what my 66 years of experience has taught me . I am no body builder or power lifter just stay in decent shape and have done it all except steroids . Still workout on regular basis and try to eat good . Still like a beer and pizza . LOL 

Frank 

My fasting blood glucose is excellent.    I've read a lot about intermittent fasting and haven't ever come across anything that would make it harmful.  That doesn't mean it's impossible, but it doesn't seem to be very common.  In most folks, even in the clinical studies, it improves fasting blood glucose levels.  Eating too many carbs and eating too frequently is what damages the pancreas.  You only get a certain amount of Beta cells and if they get damaged or destroyed, they do not regenerate.  

I'm familiar with Stan and the vertical diet.  I do incorporate white rice and oats occasionally as they are fairly safe carb sources.  

I'm not worried about micronutrients in the least.  Most can be found in muscle meats.  I also eat organ meats (beef liver, chicken liver, beef heart) fairly regularly.  I supplement daily with a B-Complex, C, D, Zinc and Magnesium Threonate.  I also have a large variety of salts that I use daily.. Pink Himalayan, Celtic Sea Salt, Black Hawaiian and even some Red Salt when I see a good quality one.  These all contain a variety of minerals based on where the salt is take from.  

My pre-training shake is typically 1-2 cups of wild blueberries, 25-50 grams of whey protein isolate and some raw cacao powder.  I will throw in a banana, some cinnamon, etc.  Any supplements I take (including the shake) is just that...a Supplement to a well-planned out diet.  Oddly enough, I'm not a picky eater at all. I pretty much like every type of food on the planet.  Any ethnic cuisine you can think of, all meats, fruits, veggies, etc.  I just choose not to eat them or not eat many of them regularly because they are detrimental to human health.  

My main meal each day is typically some sort of organic, grassfed ruminant meat (beef or lamb) from a small local farm.  Organic Pastured eggs.  Organic Heritage Breed Pork.  Venison and Pheasant that I've hunted.  Lots of wild caught (never farmed) seafood like Salmon and sardines. Occasional poultry.  I eat some other fruits regularly, and some veggies a few times per week.  

I do like beer and pizza as well, but gluten is super inflammatory for me, and cheap dairy (that isn't raw and grassfed) gives me digestive issues, joint pain and even skin issues.  There are a ton of resources out there now about Intermittent fasting, Animal-based diets, carnivore diets, etc and the recent Harvard and Johns Hopkins  studies that have been done have showed excellent improvements in health markers.  

I'd be happy to chat via PM if you'd like to.  Send me a message. I'm always available

21 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

My fasting blood glucose is excellent.    I've read a lot about intermittent fasting and haven't ever come across anything that would make it harmful.  That doesn't mean it's impossible, but it doesn't seem to be very common.  In most folks, even in the clinical studies, it improves fasting blood glucose levels.  Eating too many carbs and eating too frequently is what damages the pancreas.  You only get a certain amount of Beta cells and if they get damaged or destroyed, they do not regenerate.  

I'm familiar with Stan and the vertical diet.  I do incorporate white rice and oats occasionally as they are fairly safe carb sources.  

I'm not worried about micronutrients in the least.  Most can be found in muscle meats.  I also eat organ meats (beef liver, chicken liver, beef heart) fairly regularly.  I supplement daily with a B-Complex, C, D, Zinc and Magnesium Threonate.  I also have a large variety of salts that I use daily.. Pink Himalayan, Celtic Sea Salt, Black Hawaiian and even some Red Salt when I see a good quality one.  These all contain a variety of minerals based on where the salt is take from.  

My pre-training shake is typically 1-2 cups of wild blueberries, 25-50 grams of whey protein isolate and some raw cacao powder.  I will throw in a banana, some cinnamon, etc.  Any supplements I take (including the shake) is just that...a Supplement to a well-planned out diet.  Oddly enough, I'm not a picky eater at all. I pretty much like every type of food on the planet.  Any ethnic cuisine you can think of, all meats, fruits, veggies, etc.  I just choose not to eat them or not eat many of them regularly because they are detrimental to human health.  

My main meal each day is typically some sort of organic, grassfed ruminant meat (beef or lamb) from a small local farm.  Organic Pastured eggs.  Organic Heritage Breed Pork.  Venison and Pheasant that I've hunted.  Lots of wild caught (never farmed) seafood like Salmon and sardines. Occasional poultry.  I eat some other fruits regularly, and some veggies a few times per week.  

I do like beer and pizza as well, but gluten is super inflammatory for me, and cheap dairy (that isn't raw and grassfed) gives me digestive issues, joint pain and even skin issues.  There are a ton of resources out there now about Intermittent fasting, Animal-based diets, carnivore diets, etc and the recent Harvard and Johns Hopkins  studies that have been done have showed excellent improvements in health markers.  

I'd be happy to chat via PM if you'd like to.  Send me a message. I'm always available

Personally I’d prefer that unless you’re discussing private issues to keep it out here in the public. I’m learning a lot of interesting stuff. Thanks 

without me, my rifle is nothing

As long as your doing a complete blood test yearly or even every 6 months and all is good keep going .One thing I will mention I needed iodine and  salt really helped with some dizziness I was experiencing with heavy workouts propel drink electrolytes was not enough .  1/4 teaspoon mixed in water 1/2 hour before exercise and I salt my food .Looks like you have a great diet .Venison Is probably the best nutritious food a human can eat Fish (Salmon ) second . Of course you do need other foods for micros without supplementation .Squats which I did not do for many years is probably best overall exercise a human should do light or heavy .   As you can tell  I am not a big fan of fasting though 12 hours at night is enough for me .I got to eat 3 meals a day . I do stop after dinner no snacks so it ends up being at least 12 hour fast . A guy I worked with went on a crazy diet which was a lot of  24 hour fasting and ended up ruining his pancreas and ended up a diabetic was only reason I mentioned . I really don't know all details so please don't go by that .. The Blood work is very  important . Blood pressure also important . Keep an  eye on it . Mine runs a little high occasionally no pills yet and don't plan on taking them . If I am over 200 lb its high under I am good . I am 10 over now but feel good . I will drop ten in summer. TDietz we will keep it online . Glad you like and learning . Rug knows his stuff. 

Frank

3 hours ago, electricstart said:

As long as your doing a complete blood test yearly or even every 6 months and all is good keep going .One thing I will mention I needed iodine and  salt really helped with some dizziness I was experiencing with heavy workouts propel drink electrolytes was not enough .  1/4 teaspoon mixed in water 1/2 hour before exercise and I salt my food .Looks like you have a great diet .Venison Is probably the best nutritious food a human can eat Fish (Salmon ) second . Of course you do need other foods for micros without supplementation .Squats which I did not do for many years is probably best overall exercise a human should do light or heavy .   As you can tell  I am not a big fan of fasting though 12 hours at night is enough for me .I got to eat 3 meals a day . I do stop after dinner no snacks so it ends up being at least 12 hour fast . A guy I worked with went on a crazy diet which was a lot of  24 hour fasting and ended up ruining his pancreas and ended up a diabetic was only reason I mentioned . I really don't know all details so please don't go by that .. The Blood work is very  important . Blood pressure also important . Keep an  eye on it . Mine runs a little high occasionally no pills yet and don't plan on taking them . If I am over 200 lb its high under I am good . I am 10 over now but feel good . I will drop ten in summer. TDietz we will keep it online . Glad you like and learning . Rug knows his stuff. 

Frank

I do my annual physical and bloodwork.  I request additional things too, like full thyroid panels, Vitamin D levels, Testosterone levels, Magnesium levels, etc.  Everything is all good.  I'm actually doing a year-long experiment on myself right now when it comes to coffee. I'm a huge coffee snob and have only drank french pressed coffee for the past 15 years or so.  I noticed a gradual creep in LDL levels, with the only constant being the coffee. so since August (when my physical was) I have been using a pour-over method for my coffee to try to remove much of the cafestol and kahweol to see how it affects my LDL. Aside from that, my HDL is high, my LDL particles are largely un-oxidized, my CRP and SED Rate are ridiculously low (basically no systemic inflammation), my triglycerides are low and everything else is great.  I actually have to stop supplementing Vitamin D during sunny months because my levels were actually too high.  

For a few years, I was cooking with coconut oil and I had noticed that driving up my LDL, so I removed it from my diet and watched the numbers go back down to normal.  I am a huge believer in evolutionarily appropriate diets..i.e. you should eat what your ancestors ate as they evolved.  My ancestors came from Italy, Eastern Europe and Scandinavia and they don't eat coconuts there. Hence why regular coconut oil consumption didn't agree with my health.  

At this stage of the game, I'm basically biohacking myself.  I've been eating in a paleo/ancestral manner since 2010 and have just been refining things by adding/subtracting foods, playing with fasting, etc.  I'm developing the best health plan I can develop, mentally and physically.  

I wonder what the situation was with your co-worker and what may have happened.  Human beings are complex creatures and there will always be outliers any time a variable is changed.  

Salt... Daily, I use quite a bit of all of the salts I mentioned above and don't really ever run in to electrolyte issues.  I'm definitely not shy about how much I use. My sodium levels are always within range and my blood pressure is typically roughly 120/80.  I really do keep close track of just about everything, including my training performance, my sleep quality, etc. I'm fascinated by all of this stuff. 

Edited by not on the rug

22 hours ago, Bojaffa said:

Yesterday did a 9 mile MTB ride at KVSP.  Was great to be out. Today did a four mile walk. Start back on the weights tomorrow. . 
    Ron what MTB team are you riding with?  

My wife and I are coaches for a youth mtb team. The team is the Warren/Sussex Composite mtb team, grades 6-12. The governing body is NJ NICA. 

I am the Lorax - I speak for the trees. 

I had a rest day yesterday.  Stopped at friends' on my way home, he gave me 2 cheese hotdogs on shoprite buns with yellow mustard for lunch......I felt it. Took a good nap when I got home, (I nap better during full moon periods),  got up, delivered a case of raw honey to a neighbor, made venison fajitas for dinner, slept like a rock last night. Dr. appointment this morning, probably do some walking, maybe get the bicycle out for a bit, start a red oak fire in the grill and grill up the end of the ribeye roast that's been dry aging in bottom of the fridge all week, try to hit the gym hard tomorrow morning.

I think this world can use more "woods athletes",  keep up the good work guys!! Thank You

without me, my rifle is nothing

33 minutes ago, Bojaffa said:

Good workout today. Chest and triceps. Lighter weight higher volume of sets and reps. Did a few sets of preachers also. Always gotta hit some biceps. You know what I mean. Hoping to get out early tomorrow for a ride before any rain. 

Nice!  Curls for the girls!

I always found that assistance work like curls, DB shoulder exercises and tricep exercises like close-grip bench and skull crushers go a long way in making you stronger overall.  They just can't be the foundation of a training plan like so many folks try to make them out to be.  

I'm taking the day off to prep for the arrival of the new pup.  It's like bringing home a new baby that already knows how to run and puts everything in their mouths

13 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

Nice!  Curls for the girls!

I always found that assistance work like curls, DB shoulder exercises and tricep exercises like close-grip bench and skull crushers go a long way in making you stronger overall.  They just can't be the foundation of a training plan like so many folks try to make them out to be.  

I'm taking the day off to prep for the arrival of the new pup.  It's like bringing home a new baby that already knows how to run and puts everything in their mouths

Curls for girls was the eightys . Now its a six -pack. I have a twelve pack going.lol