IGNORED

If you want meat, shoot a doe.

Rusty

If you want meat, shoot a doe.   

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

• Agree
    • Disagree

If it is legal and you want to shoot it-- go for it. I haven't killed a doe in a few years now. I made it a point not to kill a doe this year because of the ehd that hit the area. I probably won't next year either. But not going to limit my newer hunters I take out. If they want to shoot a doe that is fine. Only time does become off limits for them is mid october to mid november since that is their live bait and instills the discipline to hold out for a buck. They can shoot any buck though. Already warned them that the next one would have to be bigger or they can't shoot it. 

I do not think a couple extra does shot one season is going to hurt the deer herd anywhere. In 2020/21 there was a lot of great bucks killed where I hunt. I thought there was going to be some slim pickings because of how many big bucks were killed. I did not find the answer because of ehd. EHD wiping out 50-70% of a herd will have a bigger affect.   

20 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

As far as the statement , about which deer to shoot for meat .

‘depends on the herd conditions of where I’m hunting .

Yup.  We have spots where we shoot as many does as we can and other spots where we won’t shoot any does at all.   

16 hours ago, Rusty said:

Tell Matt he should give me a raise.  

Help you pay for that new pickup truck that you bought that I haven't seen pics!:nerd:

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

1 minute ago, Rusty said:

I only ordered it last fall.   It’ll be at least another 6 months before it comes in    

Slow boat from China?

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

If you’re truly  a meat hunter you’re shooting whatever gives you an opportunity to fill the freezer.  Otherwise I would say it’s more selective hunting.  I like 2 deer a year for myself.  Don’t care how I get them whether it’s here or in PA.  But I need 2 to survive.  After that I can be selective as to what I will or won’t kill.