IGNORED

true waterfowlin' tomorrow

mazzgolf

Gonna pour tomorrow morning (at least down here in the south) -- it is going to be true waterfowl hunting tomorrow. I'll try to brave it. I recently scouted a new place and found a small amount of wood ducks tucked into the woods... easy and quick to get in and out in case I can't hang and I melt :D  But ever since I squirrel hunted here and found some birds I've been looking forward to trying this spot. I'm not even sure if it will be worth it. I saw a couple ducks here and there... but nothing like a honey hole. I might get skunked and soaked at the same time.... or I might limit out on woodies... I have no idea what'll happen.

Anyone else going to play duck hunter tomorrow?

Gonna pour tomorrow morning (at least down here in the south) -- it is going to be true waterfowl hunting tomorrow. I'll try to brave it. I recently scouted a new place and found a small amount of wood ducks tucked into the woods... easy and quick to get in and out in case I can't hang and I melt [emoji3]  But ever since I squirrel hunted here and found some birds I've been looking forward to trying this spot. I'm not even sure if it will be worth it. I saw a couple ducks here and there... but nothing like a honey hole. I might get skunked and soaked at the same time.... or I might limit out on woodies... I have no idea what'll happen.
Anyone else going to play duck hunter tomorrow?
I'm hunting tomorrow morning. Where in the south are you hunting

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

Good luck. It will be a scouting mission none the less. I have never done really well if it pours the way they are saying it will. I just don’t think they want to fly in it as much as we want to be out in it. Light rain, clouds, and some wind, yes. Full on down pour not so much. Regardless,  give it hell! You go when you can go, that’s it. Good luck. 

Well, THAT didn't work :lookaround:

Got in at dark this morning - the water wasn't moving much but it was definitely higher than when I just scouted this past weekend... bottom was real soft and the water was getting up to my waist and going deeper. Decided it wasn't worth it - it was just me solo so I turned around and backed out... didn't want to do anything stupid.

I got back to where I entered the water and sat until shooting time to see what would be flying around. Soon after shooting time, after I let out some wood duck calls, I heard at least one wood duck in the exact spot I wanted to walk to! But I couldn't get there. DRAT! I walked to another spot where I could see the water from the path and didn't see any birds where I saw them before. So that wood duck was the only bird I heard or saw.

Gave it the college try, but it wasn't very fruitful. I should get a small kayak for places like this - if I only had a small 8 foot "something" to float on the water I think I would have been ok to get to where I wanted to go. My 12-foot 2-man sneakboat is just a little too big for excursions like this.

At least you gave it a go. Like you said, I would try and find a used kayak or something. Not many places you can duck hunt in NJ without some kind of a watercraft let alone getting to birds without a good dog. We certainly don’t have nice 2 foot hard bottom rice fields to walk in like California.