IGNORED

Well, after about 30 shots on my Centerpoint Patriot 415 the string breaks as I was shooting it.

Cripple Shot

7 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

I know very little about crossbows and am not interested in hunting with one, but respect those who do. That being said, I hear of strings breaking on relatively new crossbows all the time. Is this very common? Poor quality, poor engineering, or user error?????!!! No way any weapon should break after taking 30 shots, no excuse for it. The company should be over night shipping a new string and paying for repair, if everything stated is factual.

The problem is it's hard to tell who is at fault. I would guess on a new bow, it's most likely user error. On a bow two years or older, more likely wear and tear. Crossbows are getting too sophisticated. Breakdowns will be common due to both human error and untested technology. I refuse to buy any crossbow that cannot be manually cocked. The newer ones almost require mechanical draws and in some instances, it's the only possible way. There going to be a lot of pissed off people in the future. When you have to send out your bow for repairs and wait weeks for it to come back, you will question all that need for sophistication. I don't care how fast any bow says it can shoot. If it's broke, it shoots ZERO fps 

Edited by archer36

10 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

I know very little about crossbows and am not interested in hunting with one, but respect those who do. That being said, I hear of strings breaking on relatively new crossbows all the time. Is this very common? Poor quality, poor engineering, or user error?????!!! No way any weapon should break after taking 30 shots, no excuse for it. The company should be over night shipping a new string and paying for repair, if everything stated is factual.

I would say the biggest issue is user error and maintenance. #1 Cracked bolts and nocks cause more blow ups than anything else. Creates a dry fire type situation. You have to inspect every bolt and nock every time they are shot, the extreme force created by xbows allows no forgiveness and actually increases vulnerability. #2 Is the nock not being against the string squarely, even the tiniest gap can lead to the string jumping past the nock/bolt will create the wtf explosion. #3 Is lower cost xbows are lower cost for a reason. You ain’t getting longevity and reliable performance from cast and injection molded parts as you would from machined and forged items

AWM

It's a tool not a toy, a tool I have deep respect for inspection and maintenance priority number one!

I only use capture nocks.

Keep a close eye out on my string,the windings at the cam especially the server which I never lubricate collects dust that can mess up the trigger mechanism.

Hand cock only.

Only shoot Black eagle executioner arrows.

Still nervous every time I'm about to squeeze that trigger.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Well, I went today to Shooter's. and from just a visual inspection everything looks good. I'll know more after it's in the press when the they put the string on it. I'm going back Wednesday after string arrives. (The press should show any problems if there are any.)

BTW, The Cventerpoint arrows that came with, weigh 396 grain. I never shot with them , but I have shot with Carbon Express arrows weighing 409.8 grain. I then went to the Victory Archer Decimators that weigh 450.4 grain. Pictures of the Centerpoint and the Decimators on the scale.

DSCN2153.JPG

DSCN2154.JPG

My "Handle" is not my aim, I'm paralyzed as a C 4-5 quadriplegic.

14 minutes ago, archer36 said:

The bow is powerful enough to handle it.

But will I? This never happened to me and I'll be more hesitant as I go forward for sure. One thing is for sure, every step will be looked at with much more caution as it's shot.

I wanted to add a little more about why I was shooting last Wednesday. I recently bought a Spyderweb Target and wanted to see if the new "easy pull" heads would help improve getting the arrows out of my older Cabala's bag target along with the NEW Spyderweb target.

Every time I shot before with the Satellite tips they would stick in both targets. The last time I was at Winslow range my father couldn't get the arrow out of the NEW Spyderweb target until we lubed the tips. (Not something that should ever have to be done or should be done.) After only shooting 7 shots in an hour and a half. We had to travel home with one arrow stuck into the target until he was able to have help.

Which leads me back to Wednesday, after my first two shots had no problem with the bag target it was time to test the spyderweb. Never got to find out because of what happened. I'm in process of retuning the Web target because the bag had given my father no problems. 

Edited by Cripple Shot