IGNORED

Well, after about 30 shots on my Centerpoint Patriot 415 the string breaks as I was shooting it.

Cripple Shot

The problem with Crossbows is that it's the Wild Wild West when it comes to any organization setting standards for the industry like the Compound Bow Market has. Crossbow manufacturers can choose any arrow they want to claim their speed rating but may not supply said arrow because they know it has negative long term effects. Some will supply you with said arrow but will not "recommend" long term use of the arrow. So you don't know what you are getting when they say "shoots 400 fps". It may end up shooting much less. I know that TenPoint was using a 370 gr arrow to get their speed ratings for a while. I called them up and asked this question. At that time, they claim the speed was with the "supplied" arrow which was not 370 gr but much heavier. So, unless you have a chrono, you don't know what you are getting. I'm not trying to split hairs over 10-20 fps because in the real world hunting situations, it means squat. It's a matter of bait and switch.

We need an organization to set standards, like the AMO does. Specify speed ratings with one standard, not what the manufacturer decides. 

These non-uniform standards applies to other aspects of crossbow manufacturing. This is a little off topic but part of the problem. 

Edited by archer36

10 hours ago, MGHunter66 said:

Not true unless you are using light weight bolts to achieve speed. 
Also if you want fast and longevity, a quality xbow that is a bit more $$$ will get you there. 

Yet it is proven true over & over again.  it's not just about proper projectile.  Some innovations used to chase speed arent fully tested or sufficiently evolved from the initial concept & cause problems.

44 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

For example? Name a few

I'm not out there talking to a lot of other crossbow shooters but in my small circle my Stryker 380 broke a string twice & blew up the cams, Crippleshot & my buddy both broke strings on brand new Centerpoints & not even covered on warrantee, another friend just bought a Ten Point with 400+ fps & had problems with the scope.  I'm sure other s have some similar experiences.

Whoever said that about chasing too much speed knew what they were talking about imo....

9 minutes ago, gregtpal said:

I'm not out there talking to a lot of other crossbow shooters but in my small circle my Stryker 380 broke a string twice & blew up the cams, Crippleshot & my buddy both broke strings on brand new Centerpoints & not even covered on warrantee, another friend just bought a Ten Point with 400+ fps & had problems with the scope.  I'm sure other s have some similar experiences.

Whoever said that about chasing too much speed knew what they were talking about imo....

Well, I think you just agreed to MGhunter66 post to which you responded to 

Also if you want fast and longevity, a quality xbow that is a bit more $$$ will get you there. 

4 hours ago, archer36 said:

The problem with Crossbows is that it's the Wild Wild West when it comes to any organization setting standards for the industry like the Compound Bow Market has. Crossbow manufacturers can choose any arrow they want to claim their speed rating but may not supply said arrow because they know it has negative long term effects. Some will supply you with said arrow but will not "recommend" long term use of the arrow. So you don't know what you are getting when they say "shoots 400 fps". It may end up shooting much less. I know that TenPoint was using a 370 gr arrow to get their speed ratings for a while. I called them up and asked this question. At that time, they claim the speed was with the "supplied" arrow which was not 370 gr but much heavier. So, unless you have a chrono, you don't know what you are getting. I'm not trying to split hairs over 10-20 fps because in the real world hunting situations, it means squat. It's a matter of bait and switch.

We need an organization to set standards, like the AMO does. Specify speed ratings with one standard, not what the manufacturer decides. 

These non-uniform standards applies to other aspects of crossbow manufacturing. This is a little off topic but part of the problem. 

that's a great point. I am surprised how many manufacturers claim "X" FPS and the bow actually shoots 5-15% slower. Sounds like a standards and lack of regulatory oversight issue.

1 hour ago, heavybergara said:

that's a great point. I am surprised how many manufacturers claim "X" FPS and the bow actually shoots 5-15% slower. Sounds like a standards and lack of regulatory oversight issue.

I think they all have to and do tell you how the advertised speed was achieved. It’s up to you to read it 

Edited by Lunatic

@Cripple Shot glad you are OK. Scary - can't imagine what it felt and sounded like. Where did you take it? I know a buddy of mine is friends with the Rack Shack guys. Bob's in Glassboro just restrung my bow (had to order the string, was done in less than 2 weeks). Shooters is a ways down by Tuckerton - don't know where you live. Cheyenne Mtn is a ways up north - I asked them about restringing my bow and they indicated a couple weeks turnaround time.

Anyway, I have a feeling I'm catching you late and you already have the bow somewhere being taken care of.  Good luck and hope it is ready for the start of the season.

BTW: Winslow bow range is the nearest public range to my house. :)  I like their set up. :up:

2 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

@Cripple Shot glad you are OK. Scary - can't imagine what it felt and sounded like. Where did you take it? I know a buddy of mine is friends with the Rack Shack guys. Bob's in Glassboro just restrung my bow (had to order the string, was done in less than 2 weeks). Shooters is a ways down by Tuckerton - don't know where you live. Cheyenne Mtn is a ways up north - I asked them about restringing my bow and they indicated a couple weeks turnaround time.

Anyway, I have a feeling I'm catching you late and you already have the bow somewhere being taken care of.  Good luck and hope it is ready for the start of the season.

BTW: Winslow bow range is the nearest public range to my house. :)  I like their set up. :up:

Yeah. I needed my Accudraw fixed. Called Cheyenne and they said call back later they are too busy. So I called Shooters and he said bring it in and he should be able to fix it while I wait. It was 20 miles further but worth it. It was fixed in 10 minutes.

I know very little about crossbows and am not interested in hunting with one, but respect those who do. That being said, I hear of strings breaking on relatively new crossbows all the time. Is this very common? Poor quality, poor engineering, or user error?????!!! No way any weapon should break after taking 30 shots, no excuse for it. The company should be over night shipping a new string and paying for repair, if everything stated is factual.