IGNORED

Funny Woodcock + Pheasant Stories.

Fred Flintstone

Back a good 30 years and hunting in Bloomingrove ,NY on Open Land-(still open)- my Dog Flushed up a Woodcock in a heavy Field. Bam,I connected  and quickly my Dog fetched that Timberdoodle.

5 Minutes later- another Woodcock gets flushed up. Erratic Flight and Bam- another Woodcock. I was right about the migration  the Night before on a cloudless night.

Now my dog is Hot on another Scent when,I hear it.-- Bells and Shouting. Soon 2 Dogs- Far ranging German Shorthairs as,I remember come barreling down into where,I am Hunting followed by 2 race walking hunters- both in full orange like me.

Like Bees to Honey- my shots brought all 4 in. More Woodcock get up and more Shouting. Plenty of Shooting. I was able to get 1 more Woodcock before leaving as these 2 Guys were 20 yards away. Funny now- but not then. 

Now one Fall Day about 40 Minutes before Sundown in this open area where  Pheasants "used" to be released from October  to December again in Bloomingrove, NY- Here come a Grand Sight.  

A Truck with Pheasant Crates drives into the Field! Quickly,I leash my dog and unload my Shotgun . The Truck stopping in the middle of the Field and right there Pheasants were released  out of a good 6 crates. 24 Pheasants and a half + half mixture  of Roosters + Hens.

The Driver and helper now drive out as we all exchange Waves. I have 30 minutes left of Legal Shooting time.  Talk about winning the " Pheasant  Lottery"!

I load back up and release my excited Dog. A Rooster Pheasant gets up and,I connect. And a 2nd Rooster. With my limit,I quickly leash my dog.

Next morning- a Saturday,I was the first Pheasant  Hunter to Park! And another 2 Pheasants to fill my limit. Too bad today- no Pheasants are stocked in this open area. All go to Crowded Stewart State Forest now.

Now in this same open area,I was out on a Tuesday or Wednesday  morning at Sunrise having put in for a day off from work. In NY- Release dates for Pheasants is a Secret. It is " week of" and you make your best guess.

I wanted to hunt the recently Mowed Highline and after a 1/4 mile+ walk,I released  my Dog and " hit the Motherlode"!

2 Rooster Pheasants  Flush up and,I connect on one of them. Just a few minutes later and a Cackling Rooster explodes up and Bam,I have my Limit for the day.

Now back out at the Parking area and almost to my Truck,I see a line of 5 Trucks and cars slow down and they all turn into this parking area!

A big group of 8 or so Pheasant Hunters get out- all in their 60s + 70s. All Retired obviously.  They were not Happy to see Rooster Tail Feathers sticking out of my Orange Vest or my Panting Dog-LOL!

I heard low Grumbling about- " How did this guy find out". I guessed right is all and the " Early Bird Gets The Worm" is often True in Pheasant,Woodcock,+ Turkey Hunting.

Now one Fall day in another open Land areas that had 2 connecting Huge Fields,I walked in early with my Brother  in law. That morning a good 8 or so other Pheasant Hunters arrived early as well.

Plenty of Pheasants got up everywhere. I think everybody probably  got at least 1 Pheasant.

On walking out with my Brother in law we see a most unusual sight. Someone arriving late had actually  driven down the dirt access road and parked right at the connecting  2 Huge Fields!

We could not believe  it and sure enough that Truck was Peppered with Birdshot! 

Probably  the last time he parked at the Fields Juncture.  

Hope Y'ALL enjoyed these old stories!

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

Years back open day at Pequot my dog kicked a beautiful roster not on feather out of place.

Walking out an older gentleman commented and said what a beautiful cock I have🤗🤔 

I said thank you, you are the first man that's EVER told me that 🤣

Not a complete a$$ hole just one of the dingle berries that hang off it.

This picture is from when I was 10-11 years old. My dad and his buddies used to rent out a cabin at the Fairview Lakes YMCA. That year one of the guys there hit this pheasant with his truck down the road and decided to bring it back to camp. My brother and I were playing outside as they pulled up. They handed us the bird and said take it inside and show your dad. As I walked into the living room of the camp the damn thing started to flap it’s wings! Scared the living hell outta me to the point that my only reaction was to squeeze it as hard as I could. Needless to say my 1st ever pheasant kill was by hand 😂. My dad, brother and I still laugh every time we talk about it. 

B043317E-76D6-49DE-AFFA-C1BC0E23D099.jpeg

3 hours ago, BillW0323 said:

This picture is from when I was 10-11 years old. My dad and his buddies used to rent out a cabin at the Fairview Lakes YMCA. That year one of the guys there hit this pheasant with his truck down the road and decided to bring it back to camp. My brother and I were playing outside as they pulled up. They handed us the bird and said take it inside and show your dad. As I walked into the living room of the camp the damn thing started to flap it’s wings! Scared the living hell outta me to the point that my only reaction was to squeeze it as hard as I could. Needless to say my 1st ever pheasant kill was by hand 😂. My dad, brother and I still laugh every time we talk about it. 

B043317E-76D6-49DE-AFFA-C1BC0E23D099.jpeg

Great Picture!

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

Good Story Fred, I wish I could still walk all day but left knee says no. Surgery #2 scheduled for 5 Jan right after deer season for me which will have me on my feet in time for TURKEY season :happy:

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

Maybe 25 years ago I was at Berkshire Valley WMA on opening day of pheasant season when my Brittany slammed on point in a small grove of sumac trees. I stepped in and up came a woodcock which I dropped. Another hunter not far away yelled at me, “So now we’re shooting woodpeckers?!?”.  I explained it was a woodcock and it was the closing day for them and legal to shoot. When he heard “woodcock” he asked if he could see it because he had only ever heard of them but had never seen one. He quickly apologized for his shouted comment and we spent several minutes talking about woodcock habitat. My guess is I helped make a wild bird hunter that day. The woodpecker comment cracked me up at the time as I recall.