IGNORED

Scent control?!?!

Turkeyslayer

Special Garden State Strategy: You can also find the game trail or thick cover where a buck likes to hang out not far from a (marked) trail on public land.  Depending on how you place your stand facing away from the trail and beyond the required minimum distance, you can make him think you're just another bird watcher or mountain biker passing on through. 

5 hours ago, bucky said:

That's why I don't hunt mornings any more, the wind  constantly shifts in the mornings because of the rising temperatures.  Usually by mid morning the winds are set up for the day, with 50 years in the woods I don't care if I'm missing some hunting time, afternoons are prime time in my opinion

Interesting. I just checked and I hunt PM 3 time more often than AM. However, I have a 37.6% success ration Am and only 16% PM. Based on 443 hunts. I may have to hunt more AM:shock:

16 hours ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

In my vast hunting experiences in several states and across multiple terrain, I have learned one thing about whitetail deer.  They are as dumb as rocks.  However, they do have a limited ability to learn.

Deer in NH are never around people.  They migrate from VT to Canada to Maine and back to NH in a three-day loop.  When they smell humans, they make themselves scarce.  However, I also hunt Zone 3 in NJ.  Those deer are always within a mile of a house.  All they smell are human smells.  I've gone to my blind in NJ and sat there watching deer come within 5' of the blind constantly staring at me.  They know they smell a human, they just can't see one to be spooked by me.  They've learned to be cautious of humans, but they do not fear them like the NH deer.

So when I hunt in NH or NJ I don't use scent control.  NJ is always bait and wait, and in NH I want them to smell me so I can push their tracks further into the woods, tire them out, and hope for a clear shot with a rifle.  Two different ways to hunt, and I do not use scent control for either.

Deer are gonna' smell you.  You just need to be prepared for their behavior when they do.

says the guy in the gas mask

4 hours ago, Lunatic said:

Interesting. I just checked and I hunt PM 3 time more often than AM. However, I have a 37.6% success ration Am and only 16% PM. Based on 443 hunts. I may have to hunt more AM:shock:

Based on all the nice bucks I have killed 100% were killed in the afternoon and one opportunity missed on a cold morning due to bow string hitting my heavy coat sleeve;)

5 minutes ago, bucky said:

Based on all the nice bucks I have killed 100% were killed in the afternoon and one opportunity missed on a cold morning due to bow string hitting my heavy coat sleeve;)

My numbers are not bucks, I mostly hunt for meet so the kills are does and bucks. Anyway I can not dismiss the fact my mornings have twice the success rate of the PM hunts. I actually didn't know that, 
I should check my buck kills, and I will

3 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

My numbers are not bucks, I mostly hunt for meet so the kills are does and bucks. Anyway I can not dismiss the fact my mornings have twice the success rate of the PM hunts. I actually didn't know that, 
I should check my buck kills, and I will

Well my Am buck success ration is 5.5 and PM 4.1 . Not much of a difference but AM wins again/.

Just now, Lunatic said:

Well my Am buck success ration is 5.5 and PM 4.1 . Not much of a difference but AM wins again/.

My pm rates are higher because I could hunt every day after work and only hunt mornings on weekends and during vacations, I can shoot plenty of deer in the morning but bigger bucks not so much, mornings are very rare for me now

21 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

Lord take me now. I said "MATURE" deer, the alpha doe or a mature buck.    Young deer are really stupid and haven't figured out just yet that their nose is 100% survival and what danger is and who the apex predator is and those are not the ones I were referring to. 

How did I ever manage to miss this soap opera on here?? 

Walk away Jacko.....

1 hour ago, bucky said:

My pm rates are higher because I could hunt every day after work and only hunt mornings on weekends and during vacations, I can shoot plenty of deer in the morning but bigger bucks not so much, mornings are very rare for me now

The rate I posted is a ration of number of kills to number of hunts, am and then pm. So hunting more one or the other is not relevant to the ration I hunt 3times as many pms than ams but my am kill ratio is double. 
I find myself hunting fewer mornings as well. 

On 8/15/2021 at 7:00 PM, JHbowhunter said:

Can someone please take over feeding the troll?  I am getting cramps in my fingers and need to cook up some venison sausage for my son and I and his gf...    There is also a martini somewhere with my name on it!    Yikes!!!!   

I was wrong about having the stamina to feed it all night long and take off from work tomorrow.   Ok I lied  - that was indeed, BS...

But this thread is already stinking from the foul stench of that. 

one of my favorite  movies

On 8/15/2021 at 7:08 PM, nmc02 said:

I don't care how you do it, as long as legal. I personally choose not to use a crossbow, but don't care if others do. In my opinion, the guys that year in and year out kill big bucks here in NJ are great hunters. Anyone can kill a big buck in the Midwest, as they live there. Good luck everyone 

I agree and ill add that nj hunters who take mature deer year after year on public are often a different breed of hunter.

Comparing those hunters who take mature deer on public to those that take deer on private is night and day.