IGNORED

Ravens blistering 500 FPS xbow

hammer4reel

Too much technology/innovation for me. Too many things that can go wrong. I don't need to hold my breath every time I use it. It's not "fun" to me. I just recently went "advanced" buying a Crossbow with a mechanical draw. Always had rope cocked bows. I don't hunt with the new bow unless I have a B/U in the truck. 

I purchased the new bow only under the condition that it can be drawn with a rope cocker should the mechanical draw fail. It's not fun being in the South African bush with only your peck_r in your hand when a mechanical draw breaks down. 

Besides, you're shooting deer at an average of about 25 yds. You don't need a $3500 bow for that. There are bows that shoot lights out for 1/4 the price. You can replace the $800 bow 4 times in the time that the $3500 bow becomes obsolete again. 

Whatever trips your trigger. 

Edited by archer36

I was that guy that had to have the new faster model every year. I would like to think I’m over that. I’ve had the same crossbow for some time now. But do think I don’t get the urge to oust the buy now button 

18 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Too much technology/innovation for me. Too many things that can go wrong. I don't need to hold my breath every time I use it. It's not "fun" to me. I just recently went "advanced" buying a Crossbow with a mechanical draw. Always had rope cocked bows. I don't hunt with the new bow unless I have a B/U in the truck. 

I purchased the new bow only under the condition that it can be drawn with a rope cocker should the mechanical draw fail. It's not fun being in the South African bush with only your peck_r in your hand when a mechanical draw breaks down. 

Besides, you're shooting deer at an average of about 25 yds. You don't need a $3500 bow for that. There are bows that shoot lights out for 1/4 the price. You can replace the $800 bow 4 times in the time that the $3500 bow becomes obsolete again. 

Whatever trips your trigger. 

Lots of guys shoot a crossbow so they can carry the most effective  for the season with them .

‘many crossbows are fine within reasonable ranges, some being better at much longer effective ranges .

narrower crossbows are easier to hold , transport etc.

‘some guys don’t care about that , as shown how many still shoot Excalibur’s .

guys looking for the easiest , most compact will def be looking at these .

tons of guys spending a few grand on compounds every few years that can’t hit a softball at 30 yards .

guys wanting to shoot 50 yards or more will be looking for the best of the best 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, hammer4reel said:

Lots of guys shoot a crossbow so they can carry the most effective  for the season with them .

‘many crossbows are fine within reasonable ranges, some being better at much longer effective ranges .

narrower crossbows are easier to hold , transport etc.

‘some guys don’t care about that , as shown how many still shoot Excalibur’s .

guys looking for the easiest , most compact will def be looking at these .

tons of guys spending a few grand on compounds every few years that can’t hit a softball at 30 yards .

guys wanting to shoot 50 yards or more will be looking for the best of the best 

I would say that 50 or 60 yds is the "maximum" "ethical" range. Even at 500 fps, a deer can move a few feet in the time it takes the arrow to reach the target at 75-100 yds. Everything has to be perfect. My furthest was 60 yds many years ago when I first started crossbow hunting.  Bow shot 350 fps. Open field, no wind, deer with head down. It was a perfect shot, complete pass thru, and quick kill. I never tried it again and I am shooting much faster bows. The problem with new and faster bows is that it makes people "think" they can harvest animals further. We saw ads years ago stating, "meet your new rifle". It can also lead to more lost game. Any bow from 250 fps and up can kill as effectively as a 500 fps bow. Most of the 500 fps will be wasted at average distances deer are harvested at. Try finding your arrow once it's buried 2 ft in the ground  also. LOL

Edited by archer36

I buy about every 10-12 years for the new technology.  Buying cheaper and getting the same thing I had doesn't make sense.  Able to decock it without burning up discharge arrows or carrying and shooting a target after every hunt which burns up strings, much quieter, much narrower, less weight, easier to carry, more comfortable stock design, better safety, better trigger, less likely to slice off a thumb, better balance, better scope, stronger cocking mechanism, bow sends arrows 50% farther in the same amount of time as the old bow. It all comes with a price just like anything else.  Top of the line racing bicycles were 3-5k when I raced, now they are 8-10k++++.  

I bought a cheap washing machine because the technology stays the same with them.  I didn't want all the electronic bells and whistles that fail, or pay $600 in parts for 4 drum shocks when they go bad on front loaders.  Some things are a priority, and others are not.  A lot depends on how much I will be using it, and how much I rely on it to perform well.

2 hours ago, archer36 said:

I would say that 50 or 60 yds is the "maximum" "ethical" range. Even at 500 fps, a deer can move a few feet in the time it takes the arrow to reach the target at 75-100 yds. Everything has to be perfect. My furthest was 60 yds many years ago when I first started crossbow hunting.  Bow shot 350 fps. Open field, no wind, deer with head down. It was a perfect shot, complete pass thru, and quick kill. I never tried it again and I am shooting much faster bows. The problem with new and faster bows is that it makes people "think" they can harvest animals further. We saw ads years ago stating, "meet your new rifle". It can also lead to more lost game. Any bow from 250 fps and up can kill as effectively as a 500 fps bow. Most of the 500 fps will be wasted at average distances deer are harvested at. Try finding your arrow once it's buried 2 ft in the ground  also. LOL

An accurate bow shooting 500 in good conditions will definetly be effective beyond 60 yards .

guys have been shooting game ethically at longer distances with compounds for 40 years .

off a bipod , out if a blind a feeding deer at 80 -100 yards will likely have way less reaction than they do at 15.

Less wind drift , heavy bolt , good trigger shooting 1” groups will be very easy for guys who practice with them .

‘it wasn’t meant to keep yardages to normal bow shots .

‘they are building efficient devices to double that range in a competent persons hands .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

it is alot of money. but if its what you love then you spend the money. same reason i bought a $2000 kayak and not a walmart special on clearance. to each their own. hobbies can be as cheap or expensive as youd like especially in the fishing and hunting world. i say who ever buys the crossbow, have fun and enjoy.