IGNORED

great episode - for those that lost their dads

JHbowhunter

Realtree Roadtips, 'Hunting the land of giants'....   Producer Stephen McNelly is in Iowa, in his stand and shot his buck of a lifetime and having just lost his father...   I can surely relate to that, having shot my best buck (at that time) in 2018 while my father was very close to the end and then last season  2019 shooting one even bigger off his property where I never shot a buck in my  life.  

For those of you that think there is no higher power or no spirituality to hunting - I call BS.    It's no coincidence. 

If you have OUTDOOR CHANNEL you should be able to see this magnificent buck taken by a grieving fellow hunter.  He just buried his dad 8 days prior to harvesting his best buck ever.  

This really hit home for me.   

Anyone else have something similar?

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Saw it. The buck was insane.  True giant.  

Absolutely believe in higher power.  

Not a religious man by any means but believe things do happen for a reason.  My dad passed suddenly in May 2017. Rough week. As one would expect.  Wife said go fishing.  Decided to fish a stretch of water that holds smallmouth bass. Average fish is 10-12".  Caught a few fish then hooked something good. It stayed deep. Figured it was a catfish. Ended up being a 24" walleye. My biggest by far.  Kept it and had a good dinner with my boys. I know my dad had a part in that moment.  

And then now...a friend of mine passed away suddenly a few weeks ago. His wife text me from his number. He was 54.  Had a heart attack.  Heart breaking. Reason why I mention him is because every summer he'd go out to west Pennsylvania and go look at the elk. He'd send me all kinds of pics of these beautiful elk.  We always put in for the elk lottery. Well I was insanely lucky enough to draw a tag for one of those elk this fall.  Extremely fortunate.   Pretty sure George had a hand in me getting a tag.  

Everything happens for a reason. Maybe good, maybe bad but I do believe their is a higher power. 

Gotta go.  Got something in my eye....

I remember one of the few times seeing my father cry was when his Uncle, who got him into hunting passed. The very next hunt out he shot his biggest buck of his life.

Then my father passed and I shot the biggest buck of my life. I’ve had some very successful hunts after his passing on some great deer, but none bigger then the 146” buck after my father passed. I may never see a bigger Jersey buck. I find it hard to believe they don’t have something to do with it. 

Opening day of fall bow 2013, I was on stand and enjoying the sunrise.  There was the normal opening day excitement, however it was the first hunting season without my dad.  He had passed earlier that year on Super Bowl Sunday.  
      We spent a lot of time in the woods together and I was reflecting on some of our memories.  It was a beautiful morning as the woods were alive that morning with squirrels scurrying and birds chirping.  It did not take long before I had a bachelor group of bucks come through my set.  I put a shot on a nice 9 pt. and watched him go down in sight.

After the shot I stayed in the tree for 30 minutes taking it all in.  Then, I climbed down and went to check out my  buck.  It was very emotional and I began to tear up, thanking pops for the experience.  It was an awesome moment, that was abruptly interrupted by a tree cutting crew.  
    My dad always had a unique sense of humor.  It was very fitting that as I was enjoying that beautiful experience, he sent that crew directly to my tree.  I couldn’t believe it, so I did what he taught me.  “Get that buck cleaned up, in the truck, and on ice...”  

Thanks for the topic, I am enjoying your stories.  Be safe and happy hunting.

I lost my father when I was 11 yrs old on Xmas Eve. So for almost 39 years now, I had to figure this game we call life out. Made some mistakes, made some good choices also. But, I always believed my father is around somewhere. When I'm stuck, ill ask him for guidance. I like to think he answers  me with a positive  outcome. Sounds corny,  but whatever 

LET EM GO SO HE CAN GROW

I lost my dad over 7 years ago now.   I've had my fair share of amazing moments in nature since he passed and there isn't a single time I grab a shotgun, rifle, handgun or bow without thinking of him.  Whenever I put my hands on an animal I've taken, my eyes well up a little bit (or sometimes a lot).  I'm always grateful for the things he taught me in all aspects of life and now I'm doing my best to pass those things along to my little one.  The circle of life is weird shit.  

The episode is on tomorrow morning at 730 on the sportsman's channel.  Aside from the heart tugging story I recommend watching to see this buck. It's the first buck harvested in the show. It's insane.  

Everyone likes a different look as far as antlers go but that thing is tops in my book.  The mass is unreal. Don't know if it scores 160 or 200.  No idea. Don't care. 

Saw it! Unreal how it really hits home.. my best friends dad passed away 2 years ago. His last were life goes fast. My father taught us everything and worked midnights to be with us everyday.. I spend at least 4 days a week with him and still, myself working full time and being a full time dad is not easy, however a day does not pass I don’t talk to him or see him. That video really hit home. My father is the most special person in my life.. Each day spent together means so much!

Thanks JHbowhunter for sharing and may you arrow another monster this year as dad looks down and guides that arrow home👍