IGNORED

boat registration

4 minutes ago, Kype said:

i bought a boat and trailer. you think anyone will give me a hard time this weekend being that its not registered because DMV is not open?

At my local ramp- yes. I think it depends on where you are. Always a big weekend for ticketing boats.

Are there not rules for COVID wher you get extensions though?

Edited by Hawkeye57

The DMVs are opening for this kind of thing next week (I'm still waiting to be able to get plates, a title, and new registration for  car I bought back in March! - but I still have the temporary registration for it that NJ extended to the end of the month).

Do you get temp registrations when you buy a boat? If so, the DMV extended all temp tags. See: https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/

"All driver licenses, non-driver IDs, vehicle registrations, inspection stickers, and temporary tags expiring before May 31 have been extended to July 31. Documents expiring in June or July are extended by two months."

I assume that is for boats too... But I really can't say.

Edited by mazzgolf

I have been riding my motorcycle without registration for months now. My registration expires at the end of September and I don't usually renew it until the next spring since I park it for the winter. Well Covid happened before I had a chance to renew, and I lost the mail in registration. I went last week and they told me only Monday is open for private vehicles.
BTW when I go to renew my registration in April they only give me till September, despite the bike being parked all winter. They are good at taking our money. 

• BowhunterNJ changed the title to boat registration
1 hour ago, Kype said:

i bought a boat and trailer. you think anyone will give me a hard time this weekend being that its not registered because DMV is not open?

I been running mine since early June without title transfer and registration. Not my fault the DMV is a joke right now.  

Just fish and be happy!!!

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

20 minutes ago, Kype said:

the trailer doesnt even have a plate on it

It's July 4 weekend... I'd say screw it. I highly doubt any police officer will be writing tickets for things not being registered properly with the DMV being closed for months now. Just have with you the sales paperwork - if you get stopped, just tell them you'd love to get it registered IF THE DMV WOULD JUST OPEN UP!

22 minutes ago, Kype said:

the trailer doesnt even have a plate on it

Make one out of cardboard and write (WILL REGISTER WHEN DMV ALLOWS" on it with a big black sharpy. 

I think cops know the deal - I would just go fish...  LETS SEE PICS OF NEW BOAT KYLE!

I shot a big 10pt once….

3 hours ago, Hawkeye57 said:

At my local ramp- yes. I think it depends on where you are. Always a big weekend for ticketing boats.

Are there not rules for COVID wher you get extensions though?

You can't extend something that hasn't been properly transferred, titled and registered initially. The boat and trailer in his case are both not properly titled and registered and the extension criteria doesn't apply.

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

35 minutes ago, Bucndoe said:

You can't extend something that hasn't been properly transferred, titled and registered initially. The boat and trailer in his case are both not properly titled and registered and the extension criteria doesn't apply.

But he, like I - are legal owners and holders of all titles, by law.   The fact the DMV can't make us "street legal" is not our fault and not for lack of trying.  I would just keep fishing until DMV is available. 

I shot a big 10pt once….

21 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

But he, like I - are legal owners and holders of all titles, by law.   The fact the DMV can't make us "street legal" is not our fault and not for lack of trying.  I would just keep fishing until DMV is available. 

The second you start a phrase with the word "but", everything that follows it is negated. Do as you wish. I answered the question based on the facts. If he didn't register the trailer, most likely the boat and trailer aren't properly titled to him either. If the person that he bought the boat from still had the plates and registration for both the trailer and boat, and they were still current, he could legally operate on the highways and waters. That is if he was loaning him the boat and trailer to use. Probably not going to happen with insurance liabilities though. With the current state of affairs it is what it is for now.

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."