IGNORED

Gonna be a chilly hike in the A.M.

Rusty

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

Found what we were looking for. 

Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 12.19.25 PM.png

There's a rock like this on Black Rock mountain in Sterling Forest. It's on top of a cliff that looks down on an area sometimes called Beech Valley. It's also referred to as Tranquility Ridge. The other side of the valley is Beech Mountain.  The state line is at the bottom of the cliff. Looking south Monksville reservoir is visible.  Besides the view the thing that makes this spot unique is the dated initials chiseled into the rock. Many go back to the 1930's. A few go back to the 19th century.

The park management changed the access rules to this area about two years ago. They don't want anyone going in there unless they are actively hunting.  Why they come up with these rules is a mystery, likely some stupid thing.

A section of the trail leading there has become severely overgrown. I spoke to the park management about it. They did nothing. However, it's easy to circumvent this section of trail by bushwacking parallel to it.

The area isn't good for deer hunting, at least I never saw one there. Now its worse because it would be a long drag with a deer. When the trail was intact I could get in with my deer cart.

I have had some success there turkey hunting.  I will be there this spring.

Been to that rock with the scouts, then down the hill to greenwood lake to get picked up.   That ended our hikes of the AT that year.  Hiked weekends from the lehigh river gorge by Palmerton PA to there, camping over Friday and Saturday nights.  Will never forget it because it rained every weekend.  Thunderstorms and all day rains.  Got caught once in one with 60mph gusts that uprooted trees.  AT was a running brook for most of another hike.  

Going for a hike tomorrow in Totowa, around laurel grove cemetery to try to find family headstones.  Won't go far, but by the map it looks like a lot of walking.

Edited by Greybeard

8 minutes ago, deadonshot2 said:

@Rusty- for a guy who wants everyone to post pics all the time, you only posted a pic of a big rock from a ten mile scenic hike? What is that about? We need pictures. This thread is useless without pics. As far as we know you took a walk down the street and said you hiked 10 miles. LOL.

I am pretty lame when it comes to taking pictures.  This is the only other picture that I took, if you look really hard you can just see the NYC skyline.  This if from Bearfort Mountain.  

Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 4.55.06 PM.png

1 minute ago, Rusty said:

I am pretty lame when it comes to taking pictures.  This is the only other picture that I took, if you look really hard you can just see the NYC skyline.  This if from Bearfort Mountain.  

Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 4.55.06 PM.png

10 miles and one picture? Very disappointed. LOL. Thank you for sharing. I was actually looking forward to seeing several but I will settle with one this time. But remember, we like pictures. LOL. But I admit, I don't take many pictures either other than my trail cams.