IGNORED

Is a 22 magnum good for coyote/fox

johnyanu

I would definitely not use it on coyotes.  My buddy used a 22 mag one year and lost a few dogs to it.  He moved up to a 204 and never lost one again.  Coyotes are tough and need a bullet that will mushroom into a vital or skull bone to drop them with consistency.  My average shot on coyotes has been between 60-75 yards

21 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

I would definitely not use it on coyotes.  My buddy used a 22 mag one year and lost a few dogs to it.  He moved up to a 204 and never lost one again.  Coyotes are tough and need a bullet that will mushroom into a vital or skull bone to drop them with consistency.  My average shot on coyotes has been between 60-75 yards

Those winchester 22 mag rounds are moving 1900fps. When they hit they tend to frag. Ive never seen a mushroomed round in a coyote ive shot. My 204,556 and 22 250 all blew threw it. 223 did the least amount of fur damage. 204 made a mess but i love that little bastard.

22 mag is as mentioned more of a fox round. A head shot in a yote 100 yards and in will do the trick but most body shots you will have a runner.   My choice for yotes is .204 35 grain Berger Bullet in the HSM ammo. It is much more fur friendly than VmaX ballistic tips. Those damn Vmax turn into little bombs if they hit any bone.  We run a three gun setup when predator hunting during daylight here in NJ and anytime in NY. 17 Hornet for any foxes that come out, .204 for the yotes and have a Shotgun for close encounters. If I had to pick one gun it would be the .2o4 with the HSM 35 grain setup. A yote or bobcat(Not in NJ before any keyboard police comment) comes out you just hold and squeeze and if a fox comes out you just need to hit the soft spots and it won’t rip it up to bad. 

20 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

I tend to shy away from “predator” loads as they explode and frag quickly usually creating big exit holes.  If I want the least amount of fur damage a shoot fmj or match bullets.  I usually use my 243 for shooting coyotes but really like a 223 for all around predator hunting

I use match since FMJ are illegal to hunt with in NJ. 

.22mag is fine for 75 yards and less. Head shots or right behind the shoulder will drop them. I use a .17hmr almost exclusively and have never lost one out to 150 yards. Again, head shot or right behind the shoulder and down they go. I love my 22-250 but the damage they do to the fur just isn’t worth it to me. I forget the actual weight but I killed one over 50lbs with my .17hmr and dropped it stone dead right behind the shoulder. 

C66516C7-750D-43E9-AABD-3C06DB573ACF.jpeg

ECC653DE-78B4-406A-AB61-3F86C3A9D045.jpeg

7E1278E6-B95D-45DE-B121-B752445A70E3.jpeg