IGNORED

The Katydids are singing!!!

2 hours ago, LittleM said:

Heard them, as well.  But summer is far from over (unfortunately).  I'll be happy when its October 15th +/-

It's a promise of things to come.  I look forward to it every summer, kinda like the Farm and Horse Show.  :D

Hope that doesn't make me metro something.  :lookaround:

2 hours ago, 3Blade said:

Oops I'm a retard, I thought they were the same:lookaround::rofl:

Yeah that's what I meant,, cicadas:D

I thought the same thing Mike, and thought the hotter it gets the louder they get. I looked both up and thought the cicada's only hatched every so many years apart. The ones we are hearing are apparently known as the dog day cicadas...I copied it below. 

Love both sounds in the summer Rusty! 

The sound of cicadas is as much a part of summer as baseball, barbeques and fireflies. So why all the hype lately about them? It's true that we are treated every summer to the wonderful buzzing songs of cicadas. But the ones that are all over the news are a different species then those we hear on the long hot, hazy, humid days of summer. The typical summer cicadas are commonly known as "dog-day" cicadas because they are most common during the hottest days of summer. These are the big green ones with bulging eyes that buzz in a seemingly endless drone from early morning to evening and that are often found dead or dying on the sidewalk or driveway.

In New Jersey we have a number of species of "dog-day" cicadas that occur in different habitats (Genus Tibicen and Neocicada). We also have a species in the Genus Okanagana. I was lucky to be able to document the first breeding record of this species (O. rimosa) in New Jersey with a colleague who found a mating pair in the northern part of the state. For those interested in the distribution of cicadas in the New Jersey and the United States, Allen Sanborn and Polly Phillips have written an excellent paper titled Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico that is well worth reading. Allen is an absolute cicada expert and was amazingly helpful when we published our paper.      

The cicadas in the news are the Periodical cicadas, so named because they emerge only every 17 years and then in huge numbers. The Periodical cicadas emerge in different places around the country depending on the year and each emergence is given a "Brood Number". The cicadas that will be emerging this year in New Jersey are Brood II. There are few species that may emerge within this brood. These mass cicada emergences are one of those biological phenomenons not be missed when it happens. 

3 hours ago, madeinuk said:

Useless trivia:

There is a type of Katydid that  has the largest balls to bodyweight ratio of any species on our planet.  Coming in at 14% of total weight.

What about the bucks over at Jack's house?

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

15 hours ago, Rusty said:

I heard the first lone Katydid singing last night.  You know what that means:

• it's the first sign that fall is coming
  • the temperatures start dropping
  • the days are noticably shorter
  • the antlers are done growing
  • it won't be long until bow season  

So funny. Just had the dogs out and listened.  Hearing them, I was brought back instantly to the nights of fishing for eels at the Delaware River when I was a kid with my family. Coleman propane lanterns, bells for indicators used on broken sticks to prop our rods up with, the works. Man, the thoughts and stories of Bigfoot "watching us" were always told just to mess with us.....too funny.