IGNORED

Sunday firearm deer hunting-Thoughts?

Do you support Sunday firearm deer hunting in NJ?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support Sunday firearm deer hunting in NJ?

• Yes on all public and private lands
    • Only on private lands
    • Only on public lands
    • No

18 minutes ago, gregtpal said:

There isnt even a consensus to allow sunday hunting ..throw in a couple more controversial issues at the same time is the best way to make sure nothing gets changed imo

unless they are going to shorten the season I don't want to see anything that adds to the seasons for any weapon choice.

I have no issue with allowing hunting on sundays with any weapon if they input Responsible seasons 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, buckhound said:

do you actually feel hunting is work? sunday is a day of rest and relaxing i get that  but for me that is what hunting is..i go to church on sunday but still would get an early hunt and sit  in afternoon when possible providing the wife has no family plans i want to be involved in. just a thought 

I don't support antiquated blue laws or religion crossing with laws.  The US is made up of many people from many religions, you can't have one religion driving laws for everyone.  

And YES hunting is work!  But it's work we enjoy :)

11 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

I don't support antiquated blue laws or religion crossing with laws.  The US is made up of many people from many religions, you can't have one religion driving laws for everyone.  

And YES hunting is work!  But it's work we enjoy :)

not arguing laws i am saying i don't feel something i enjoy is work that said we should all be free to choose if we want to hunt sunday or not.. if you feel its a day of rest and family by all means stay home. 

Wow the voting is very close, we need more votes to work this out! default_thumb_up.gif I'm all for more hunting opportunity (i.e. time to be afield) but I'm also in the camp that we have too many tags.  It's a tough balance, some areas and properties do need aggressive management and others do not.  The current DMZs aren't granular enough to manage them properly IMO.  I think statewide should have a very conservative tag system and then certain areas should have more liberal limits as needed.  For the life of me, I can't understand why public lands ever went unlimited antlerless and some are still very liberal antlerless limits.  If the objective is to control the deer herd, then hunters need to gain access to areas that need management.  You don't solve the management problem by killing all or the majority of deer in area A while doing nothing to address the growing and overpopulated deer in area B.  

I think your response has been one of the more thoughtful ones. [mention=2077]njsfsc[/mention]

Hubby and I are split on this also. As someone who bow & gun hunts and works M-F, I kind of understand more than one side of the argument/debate as It’s not really a black/white issue as there are many gray areas. The state’s blanket approach does not work, the zones are very large and what happens in one DMU doesn’t necessarily reflect what happens in another DMU in the same zone.

Hubby doesn’t think it should be done period. If it ever were done- I think there would have to be some kind of restriction such as only on private, antler restriction, WMA drive restriction, just something where it’s not a free for all. Neither one of us believe that “more” government is ever the answer, but this thread has definitely turned into a shit show, which is why unfortunately we hunters could never be able to make the decision or any rules/laws pertaining to hunting.

If the state really cared about what was best for the deer population, they would gather much more detailed & in depth research, open more “non-huntable” or “more populated” land to be hunted, even if it were just for bow as many people aren’t comfortable with gun hunters being so close to their house. Also, gain a better sense of the buck:doe ratio and what kind of management is needed for hunting to be optimal, as NJ has some great genetics and could produce some world class deer. It would take a lot of work on the state’s part to really effectively figure out what kind of regulations work in what areas. In some areas the deer populated has been decimated, where others it is truly a nuisance/hazard.

Unfortunately I think they are more interested in the revenue and I wouldn’t be surprised that if they actually did open sundays for more hunting, that they would create a separate permit for it to create more revenue.

In the short, i think science should really determine the answer, not a bunch of hunters who all want to get our way. [emoji2370]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

as its a lot harder to get within 20 yards of a deer than it is 150..

Never said it wasn't.  I was referring to your comment about the amount  / different types of games you can hunt with a gun.  Deer to Deer / Apples to Oranges.