IGNORED

Bad weather buck down

This little dog was on my farm twice this week. I shot the buck  last night, I got down, found blood and marked it. I was pretty sure I heard him go down but was not positive. It started to rain again on the way home which got me a little concerned. I called Darren and asked him if he had time to help track tomorrow just in case all the blood washed away. 

The dog was probably thinking not this guy again. As we approached the hit sight a buzzard flew from the trees. 

I spotted a white belly laying in the food plot which I could not see last night about 80 yards away. We let the dog do his thing.  He picked up the trail pretty fast and went right to the deer. At some times, you could only see his tail above the turnips. This dog has 146 recoveries. Amazing. 

20181028_075723.thumb.jpg.b5293e49e0c17fb5b5fd1ae990c55f60.jpg

www.liftxrentals.com

The 1st buck made it another 75 yards from where I seen him go down. I didnt have my phone with me when I found him. I went back and called the CO. I figured their would be plenty of time for pics once the situation was squared away. To be honest, I was fairly shocked when he told me he had to take the deer. It got me thinking, what happens if you shoot a deer and recover after the last day of a season? What about the last day before the close of hunting? It didnt make sense to me. If you shoot a buck on last day of 6 day and find it on that Sunday?

www.liftxrentals.com

8 minutes ago, tcook8296 said:

The 1st buck made it another 75 yards from where I seen him go down. I didnt have my phone with me when I found him. I went back and called the CO. I figured their would be plenty of time for pics once the situation was squared away. To be honest, I was fairly shocked when he told me he had to take the deer. It got me thinking, what happens if you shoot a deer and recover after the last day of a season? What about the last day before the close of hunting? It didnt make sense to me. If you shoot a buck on last day of 6 day and find it on that Sunday?

If this ever happens to me, I have several CO's in my phone, I will call them and explain I want to tag a buck I hit, and will recover "after the season" - how does that work?  They need a better system so I would think if you call and even leave a recording you "hit one" and need to recover next day or ensuing days - they would honor that tag. 

How did he take the deer? He just upped and dragged it out? Wasn't it sort of stanky and starting to decompose?  Jet sled? Did he have help?  What will they do with it?  He is on your property - what accommodations did he require?

This is irking  me that the CO was not more accommodating on your private property. 

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

11 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

If this ever happens to me, I have several CO's in my phone, I will call them and explain I want to tag a buck I hit, and will recover "after the season" - how does that work?  They need a better system so I would think if you call and even leave a recording you "hit one" and need to recover next day or ensuing days - they would honor that tag. 

How did he take the deer? He just upped and dragged it out? Wasn't it sort of stanky and starting to decompose?  Jet sled? Did he have helps?  What will they do with it?  He is on your property - what accommodations did he require?

There is documentation as to when the deer was shot. 

Whenever a tracking dog is called in, there is paperwork that needs to be filled out and it gets called in to fish and game. . I had 2 different tracking dogs, filled out 2 forms and they called it in 2 days in a row.  It was very evident, the deer was there a few days. The eyes were gone and the ass was chewed out. He only took the head and left the body. He cut it off where the deer was found. I shot it legally during the regular bow season and my buck tag was not filled

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

16 minutes ago, tcook8296 said:

There is documentation as to when the deer was shot. 

Whenever a tracking dog is called in, there is paperwork that needs to be filled out and it gets called in to fish and game. . I had 2 different tracking dogs, filled out 2 forms and they called it in 2 days in a row.  It was very evident, the deer was there a few days. The eyes were gone and the ass was chewed out. He only took the head and left the body. He cut it off where the deer was found. I shot it legally during the regular bow season and my buck tag was not filled

ah - ok.  So they leave the carcass and just take the head. All triggered by the registered tracking dogs.  I had visions of a CO lugging the carcass across the field.   

This proves one point to me, when it comes to the state.  Even they put a premium on big antlers - yet their stupid permit seasons and buck tags are all about "revenue" they don't give a sh#t about mature bucks and big racks, or management like we do - per se.   Except - he made damn sure he took the rack with him. 

Thanks for the education.  

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….