IGNORED

Where to live with a city commute.

jlaz90

Good friend of mine has a house in Vernon Twp., he's putting it on the market next month....he has  1 acre of flat property, in-ground pool, 4 bedroom, 2.5 baths and across the street is thousands of acres of land to hunt. 

Edited by BHC

Live close to where you work and commute to where you play. Even a 1 hour commute of 60 miles is 30,000 miles a year, 500 hours on the road, time is money, a car every 4 years, and $5,000 a year for gas. The closer you live to the city the more mass transit choices you have and no parking fees. Save your money and buy a piece of property that should increase in value over time rather than throwing money away on a commute. Just food for thought.

6 hours ago, birddogger said:

... there is little in the way of open hunting land in North Jersey which is also close to NY city and even if there was...the price would be astronomical and the number of anti hunters  non hunters and police in the area would make it darn near impossible to do anything outdoors that resembles hunting without getting harassed, even on your own property. 

What?

Norvin Green is right next to Haskell, and hiking up the hills in there gives you a view of the Wanaque reservoir at your feet and the skyline of NYC in the distance.  The cops in Wanaque and Bloomingdale are hunters as well as being involved in the outdoors.  I hunt up a hill in my back yard, and I am a 45-minute commute (on a Sunday) to Times Square.  I drive into Lincoln Center every Tuesday morning to teach, and that's a 90-minute commute depending on traffic.

There is a TON of open hunting land in North Jersey.  Tens of thousands of acres, and a lot of it is between Wanaque, Bloomingdale, Ringwood, and West Milford.  All towns minutes from where I live with very active hunting in them.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

On 3/31/2018 at 5:40 PM, MRMCR said:

Lots of commuters here in Cranford......I see them lining up for the bus and for the train......they all look so Happy.........

X2 for Cranford. But I don't see commuters smiling to get on the bus. But there is no better place to raise a family.

3 hours ago, optowalt said:

X2 for Cranford. But I don't see commuters smiling to get on the bus. But there is no better place to raise a family.

Been in Cranford for almost 30 years....I would disagree and say there are many better places ........but hey thats just me.....

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

• 2 months later...

I guess my definition of "close" differs from other's.  To me, a 90 minute commute is NOT close.  A 60 minute commute is not close either... not to me anyway.  To me...close is a half hour or less.

Even on I -80, the open areas in western NJ are(to me)  a loooong way from NYC, and that is without any politically motivated "construction related delays" on the GW bridge. 

RayG

On 4/1/2018 at 10:31 AM, Haskell_Hunter said:

You want to live in Haskell.  Everyone does, but they won't admit it.

The town is surrounded by 15,000 acres of state land, the vast majority of it huntable.  Bus route 197 goes right through town and gets you to Port Authority in about an hour, 1:20 depending on the weather.  Route 194 is nearby as well as 193.  So you have a ton of options.  If you want to drive 20 minutes down Rt 23 to take the train, that too is an option.  You're right off of Rt 287, so you can go 208 to 4 to the GWB, or you can cross over the Tappan Zee and take 9 down to the city.

Lots of hiking trails our your back door as well as places to fish.

West Milford is a 10 minute drive away.  Haskell is truly the center of the universe.

We can all learn something revolving around you Haskell, no kidding. 

Give me a call and I’ll be glad to help you out.

I’ll www.NorthJerseyMike.com

www.NorthJerseyPads.com

check out my newest listing at:

198 Brook Valley Rd., Kinnelon 

Open House Sunday 1-4

Edited by NorthJerseyMike

"God bless America and the 2nd Amendment!" 

www.NorthJerseyMike.com

UBNJ Member

OLM Knights of Columbus, Kinnelon, NJ

Readington/ Whitehouse station. There’s a train into the city, it’s hunterdon county ( great schools and more Deer per square mile than anywhere I’ve ever been) I don’t think there is a house in this area that doesn’t have Deer on there lawn at some time or another. If you find a house on a few acres, you freezer would be full of venison. I shot a big buck on my property one month before the closing before I owned it,  the very first time I hunted here.  Oh, and I also shot the buck in my avatar on my measly 6 acres. 

Edited by Bowhunter2004

• 3 weeks later...
You want to live in Haskell.  Everyone does, but they won't admit it.
The town is surrounded by 15,000 acres of state land, the vast majority of it huntable.  Bus route 197 goes right through town and gets you to Port Authority in about an hour, 1:20 depending on the weather.  Route 194 is nearby as well as 193.  So you have a ton of options.  If you want to drive 20 minutes down Rt 23 to take the train, that too is an option.  You're right off of Rt 287, so you can go 208 to 4 to the GWB, or you can cross over the Tappan Zee and take 9 down to the city.
Lots of hiking trails our your back door as well as places to fish.
West Milford is a 10 minute drive away.  Haskell is truly the center of the universe.
Bergen Co. 1/2hr. from the city by bus, train, or car. Not much for hunting locally. Most of the land is built up or unaffordable.
Haskell is only 25 minutes away.