IGNORED

"QDM" Advice

dlist777

I used quotes because I know I can't run a QDM program on 60 acres.  But here goes...

I have a 60 acre property I hunt.  It has houses on one side, a road on another, an industrial complex on the third a a corporate campus on the fourth.  So, there really isn't much hunting going on around it (across the road there is a bit).  I don't bait on this property and it's mostly woods.  

When I hunt I see does nearly every hunt and probably get a doe within shooting distance ever 3rd hunt or so.  I've never taken a doe on this property.  I've hunted it for 3 seasons.  I took a 5 pointer one year that was probably a yearling...maybe 2.5.  It was one of my first bucks.  This season, I passed on two other yearlings.  I saw a 2.5 y/o nice 8 pointer once during the rut but got no shot.  

Beginning right after xmas, I put a feeder on the property and a camera just to see what's on the property.  I routinely have does coming to the feeder.  I've had as many as 7 on camera at the same time.  I can't really tell what the total doe population is, but it's at least 7.  I've had two yearling bucks come on rare occasions (the doe practically live at the feeder).  I've had one fork horn come by that I swear is an older buck, but this is an APR protected area so he gets to die of natural causes.  

I'm the only hunter on this property.  If I want to increase my chances of getting a buck, I know I shouldn't shoot yearlings.  I won't shoot anymore.  But, my question is:  should I shoot does?  My logic was not to shoot does; the more does the more chance a buck will cruise by during the rut.  But, I'm wondering if I missing anything...could having too many does "crowd out" bucks?  I have a few other properties I have access to where I have shot enough does to fill my freezer so I don't need to kill does here.  

Hmm if it were my property and i had permission to do so I would focus on creating some security cover/buck bedding if it doesn’t already exist. Figure out the natural food sources, potentially put in a strategic food plot if possible and necessary.

I would leave the doe’s alone til you really have the place figured out. I shoot does usually only for EAB if I have a buck I’m trying to hunt on an early season pattern then I’ll consider doe hunting late season, muzz and winter bow if I don’t kill a buck and want some more meat for the year.

That’s just how I would approach it.

I would take what you need(doe) and not over think it. I never heard of does crowding out the bucks. It also sounds like having a corporate park and industrial park around you the deer may be using your woods as bedding. So I would be more concerned with only hunting there when the wind is right as to not push any mature bucks out. And yes leave the young bucks alone if that is where you are at in your hunting stage.

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

I would take what you need(doe) and not over think it. I never heard of does crowding out the bucks. It also sounds like having a corporate park and industrial park around you the deer may be using your woods as bedding. So I would be more concerned with only hunting there when the wind is right as to not push any mature bucks out. And yes leave the young bucks alone if that is where you are at in your hunting stage.

The deer definitely use the property mainly for bedding.  I see them browsing from time to time.  But, it the corporate campus seems to be like a farmer's field to them.  I catch them moving out towards it in the evening and back in the mornings.  Thx for the feedback.  

I am in the same boat you are except I am on 40 acres for the 4th year.

I took does every year but I never hunted the property with a gun. Like you, I could see many deer but at first not too many bucks.

It took me 4 years to learn the property and to understand deer movement. This year I took two very mature deer and I can see more. If you have does, bucks are there as well but mature bucks will not give you too many looks. Mt advise is no gun hunting and during September, October and November don't take any does because the bucks are 5 minutes behind them.

Create cover and food. Give the deer a reason to come and stay. Hunt the exterior and leave the interior as a sanctuary. Only hunt it when the wind is right. Supplement feed year round. Draw those deer from other areas and keep them there. Properties like yours sound like it can be a goldmine if handled properly. I believe that any deer shot in any particular area changes see behavior in one way or another. As for shooting does or younger bucks, I would run multiple cameras there all the time to see what really is coming through the property and what is living there. If your focus is to keep good bucks there, I would not shoot anything but your target bucks.

Figure out where you want the deer to bed, based upon the primary food source, approaches to stand sites, prevailing wind. Then get a few bags of 10-10-10 fertilizer and spread them to thicken the area you want buck to bed. Hunt sparingly with the proper wind and you should see the best buck in your area.

"All men die, not all men really live". WW

Create cover and food. Give the deer a reason to come and stay. Hunt the exterior and leave the interior as a sanctuary. Only hunt it when the wind is right. Supplement feed year round. Draw those deer from other areas and keep them there. Properties like yours sound like it can be a goldmine if handled properly. I believe that any deer shot in any particular area changes see behavior in one way or another. As for shooting does or younger bucks, I would run multiple cameras there all the time to see what really is coming through the property and what is living there. If your focus is to keep good bucks there, I would not shoot anything but your target bucks.

Well said.

The most important things by far is cover and pressure. If you can create the habitat, the deer will pile in. Designate as much as you can as a sanctuary and stick to the plan. Stay out. Hunt the outer edges. If you have some open areas convert them to food. If I could only plant one food source it would be clover. I also do beans , rye ,wheat and brassicas. If you dont have a water source on the property, you can dig a small hole or two. If you provide cover,food and water year round, the deer develop a routine on your property making them much more predictable. I have 3 stands on my 50 acres in Nj. One is strictly a rut stand I can get just inside my bedding area without emptying the place out and its only hunted when the bucks are cruising. The other 2 stands are on the edges of the property on the trails they use to enter the food plots. Evening hunts only except during the rut. I also supplemental feed most of the season. I have had a feeder going but I found only the does and small bucks will go to it. I got rid of it.

I dont think does will crowd out bucks. Nj deer will tolerate each other to stay alive.

I dont hunt the early season, dont shoot does, dont hunt blind. I watch multiple cameras until a good buck shows and then figure out a plan to hunt him. If there is no buck to hunt, I dont hunt.

If you need to hunt or shoot a doe, have a back up property. Ive been doing this for 5 years on my 70 in Illinois also and 3 years here in Nj. It is really much easier to attract deer here in Nj than Illinois due to pressure. Its actually very easy if you hunt it smart and stay out.

I highly recommend picking up these books

https://books.google.com/books/about/White_Tailed_Deer_Management_and_Habitat.html?id=JBecCwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button

https://www.amazon.com/Mature-Buck-Success-Design-Sturgis/dp/0988290022#immersive-view_1515718269465

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

Give the deer food (Daytime browse, as well as a food plot in some fashion). Give them security cover. Water is easy to do also. Also make sure you plan it all aRound a Damn near 100% bombproof entry and exit. And your scent control needs to be above and beyond for the long haul.

There is a huge wealth of information by some of the best habitat experts out there. Do some reading and watching and make your own decision on which ideas and methods you feel will apply the best.

Even if food plots aren't an option, managing the forest makes a huge difference.  A forest in very poor condition may only support as few as 5 deer/ mile, while a well managed forest can support 50.    

Give them cover, food, and minimal disturbance and they will be there.