IGNORED

Fake people

Lee Ron

Agree 100%.    It AMAZES me how much personal info etc... people share on this (and other) web forums.  There are some people on here who know who I am, but they're people I know in "real life". Shocks me how about the only details some folks dont give out freely are social security number and mother's maiden name!

Some of us have nothing to hide  :) 

Agree 100%.    It AMAZES me how much personal info etc... people share on this (and other) web forums.  There are some people on here who know who I am, but they're people I know in "real life". Shocks me how about the only details some folks dont give out freely are social security number and mother's maiden name!

For the last 10 years of my career, about 50% of my job was finding people, either missing and endangered children/people, fugitives or people who just didn't want to be found. LE has some good data bases available to use but Face Book and My Space were invaluable tools. People put so much information on there it's not hard to find out more than you ever imagined, and I'm by no means an expert at it. Combine that with other types of Social Media and the internet is not so anonymous any longer. 

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

For the last 10 years of my career, about 50% of my job was finding people, either missing and endangered children/people, fugitives or people who just didn't want to be found. LE has some good data bases available to use but Face Book and My Space were invaluable tools. People put so much information on there it's not hard to find out more than you ever imagined, and I'm by no means an expert at it. Combine that with other types of Social Media and the internet is not so anonymous any longer. 

Once you connect to the Internet, you are constantly being tracked and monitored.  There is nothing about the Internet that is anonymous anymore.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Once you connect to the Internet, you are constantly being tracked and monitored.  There is nothing about the Internet that is anonymous anymore.

What about IP masking, is that worth looking into to help?

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

What about IP masking, is that worth looking into to help?

No.

The minute your browser goes to a site, like this one, you're being served advertising from Google and Facebook.  The more sites you go to, the more cookies and other tracking elements go into effect.  So you'd have to surf without cookies or Javascript running in your browser.  You'd be amazed how much can be pulled from your computer use Javascript.

Every time you use your IPs or Google's (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4) DNS servers you are giving them information about what you're browsing and what your browser is loading.  So you'd need to redirect your DNS also.

Every single device on your home network would need redirection because those devices are sending information out to the Internet as well.  Cell phones, IP-TV, your router, etc.  All of these devices call out to the Internet and Google and Facebook will capture your IP address and begin creating a profile of you.  That profile will also contain every IP address you use (mobile computing has constant IP address changes).  They will capture your email addresses.  They'll correlate email addresses, browser data and IP addresses into your profile.

You have to remember that Facebook's and Google's revenue all comes from advertising.  The value-add they provide back to people seeking advertising is targeted advertising--reaching the audience the seller intends to market to.  So their incentive is to build tracking systems that have the ability to find you and identify you using a combination of methods.  The more you use the Internet, the better their profile of you becomes.  And most users of the Internet do the same things over and over again.  So you become very predictable.

Assume that if you're on the Internet, have an email address, or use Google or Facebook for anything, you have no privacy at all.

Click on this link and be amazed at everything that a browser can give up.

http://webkay.robinlinus.com

Edited by Haskell_Hunter

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

They will capture your email addresses.  They'll correlate email addresses, browser data and IP addresses into your profile.

Here's a really creepy example of this (at least I think that's what's going on).

I don't use FB personally to connect with friends and family.    But I do use a fake FB account to follow some bands, news, weather, sports teams, hobbies, enter contests, etc....

Well, after a while, some real-life acquaintances starting getting "People you may know" FB alerts with my fake FB account, even though I NEVER interact with them........at all...... on FB.  I'm not quite sure how they're doing this, unless they can somehow capture data based on who you're interacting with via email send/receives as well as by knowing my IP address.

Edited by BenedictGomez

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

Here's a really creepy example of this (at least I think that's what's going on).

I don't use FB personally to connect with friends and family.    But I do use a fake FB account to follow some bands, news, weather, sports teams, hobbies, enter contests, etc....

Well, after a while, some real-life acquaintances starting getting "People you may know" FB alerts with my fake FB account, even though I NEVER interact with them........at all...... on FB.  I'm not quite sure how they're doing this, unless they can somehow capture data based on who you're interacting with via email send/receives as well as by knowing my IP address.

Yes, all of the above.

You logged in.  They got your IP address.  Doesn't matter if it's fake or not.  They can track all traffic from your IP address, and with that information they'll know the fake account is yours.  Even if you used a fake email account, they'll know that's you.  Then, Facebook knows that the fake email account is yours.

I tell my students--both the undergrads and graduates--that the two biggest stalkers on the Internet are Google and Facebook.  You're seeing how well they do their jobs.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

Oh, I should also note that your friends will give up your personal information like lightning.  If you're in a photo they post on Facebook and attach your name to it, Facebook then has a good amount of info on you with that one photo.  They do facial recognition, so any other photos of you are now tracked.  If you are in someone's address book (and you'll notice that Facebook and Google as well as a lot of other sites, want you to upload your address books), your name, email address, phone numbers, possibly birth date and a whole lot of other information is there about you.

Now realize you didn't give FB any of this information.  All of your friends did.  Because you gave it to them and they gave it to FB.

It's actually really creepy how they pull all of this information together and build a profile of you.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

I would add LinkedIn (which is owned by MSFT) to the uber-creepy list.  

LinkedIN's disturbing because you cant lie & fake your info on that website since it's your online resume.  I've had LinkedIN successfully send me, "contacts you may know" that were people I've barely interacted with in life. 

C-R-E-E-P-Y.

Edited by BenedictGomez

Guess my Fake People post got Deleted it was overboard My apologies.  :down:

Every aspect of our lives is Tracked and Recorded. As a hacker, I learned to beware.  I have 3 AD Blockers -- Adblock plus- Ad Guard Ad Blocker -   Ad BlockRunning at the same time- McAffe Complete with Web Adviser.  All very helpful some sites request to turn them off to allow :censored:   :censored:  :censored:  No Way Thank You. 

The world wide web is all-Knowing.  Mr, Haskell knows far too well. The Dangers

I have been Locked - Blue Screened-  Hacked - Infected. Spammed -  Been doing computers for 45 Years Apple 2C my first personal one.  Been thru 7 with 4 still in use.

Big Brother is watching And I don't Give a  :censored:  Because I am Connected 24 - 7  From C-Pap to Smart TV  and my dumbPhone I keep off till I need to Make a Call.

:cupcoffee:

If anyone wants info on anyone it is on the web but may cost you $$$  

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif