IGNORED

Please pass me up!

JHbowhunter

This thread reminded me of something that happened several years back. 

Early bow season had come and gone without a buck. I hadn't seen a lot and because of work obligations I really hadn't had a lot of time in the woods. I was hunting private land on Round Mountain bordering the county park lands, normally a pretty good spot but, like I said, not so good that year for me. 

One day a found a scrape line going up the mountain above Rt 31. The next day I had off was a Friday. I climbed up the mountain early in the morning and set up my climber. I was situated in my stand at least and hour to and hour and a half before shooting light. Dawn came and I started seeing deer. The problem was, they were below me and sidehilling, all heading North. It was probably about 8:30 when I first saw the buck. He was a good buck, but this year he was a great buck. He was following the same trail the rest of the deer had been on and I thought he would pass below me out of range too. When the buck was directly down hill from me he stopped and turned uphill, he came walking right to me on a string. I heart shot him at ten yards. He tried to run, got tangled up in a blowdown and didn't make it 20 yards from me.

On the way home, I stopped at Sporstmans' Rendezvous to check him in. They knew me pretty well there, and after doing the paperwork, they would hand me the tag and I would attach it to the deer myself. So, I'm in the back of my truck, cutting the bucks leg to attach the tag. Like I said, it wasn't a huge deer,it had a seven point rack with about a 16" spread. Not huge but I was happy with it.  Another hunter walks up to the back of my truck, looks over the tailgate, looks up at me and says "Nice LITTLE buck". I was immediately pissed. It wasn't what he said, it was the way he said it. His statement was dripping with arrogance and meant to be condescending and demeaning. 

I jumped over my tailgate and landed on the ground right in front of him. I mean inches. I was definitely invading his personal space! Now, I stand 6'3" and weigh in at about 220 lbs. Not huge but I'm happy with it. I looked down at this guy who stood maybe 5'7" or 8", moved my face even closer and said "Thank you. You're a nice LITTLE man!" I'm sure it's not what I said but how I said it that made the color drain from his face, and made him turn around without saying another word, walk back to his truck and drive away without ever walking into the store. 

I mounted that bucks rack on a plaque and I'm looking at it right now. Still smiling.....

Did he bake you a pie to smooth things over? :lookaround: (inside joke from other site, Buckfever)

Edited by Nomad

Come to find out Venison is The Highest meat with Cholesterol

That's not 100% true actually. It  depends on the different cuts. While certain cuts of venison do contain higher levels of LDL (bad cholesterol) then some cuts of beef, for the most part, venison is lower in LDL when compared to beef.

FROM HEALTHYEATING.COM

Cholesterol

Beef has more than three times more cholesterol than venison. A 4-ounce serving contains 20 milligrams. This same serving size of porterhouse steak contains 76 milligrams. The recommended daily intake for healthy individuals is 300 milligrams. People with coronary heart disease should take in no more than 200 milligrams a day. Adding butter to beef and venison will quickly increase the cholesterol content as well as the saturated fat.

FROM LIVE STRONG.COM

Cholesterol in Other Meats

A 3-ounce serving of broiled beef sirloin steak contains 75 milligrams of cholesterol, considerably more than in the same serving of broiled venison

Edited by Hunter115522

Hunting is a highly personal matter. What you kill should be what satisfies you, not someone else. After many years of taking deer of all ages, I now prefer to target older animals. That's was I enjoy doing. You do what you enjoy.

"All men die, not all men really live". WW

I hope he chases a hot doe to Z16 :praying:

They ain't leaving the comfort of jacks deer day spa. All you have to do is find a magic mud puddle like he has and you will have  every buck within a square mile sipping the magic brown water lol.

Never found a Recipe for Antlers If its Legal Brown It's Down. 

Note for some reason I have seen some road Kills this week a Big Doe RT 9 Manalapan. Small ?? still with Spots Rt 520   2 Does Road Pizza Rt 34 Coltsneck. Was going to pick up the spotted one for the pot but it was hit the big time.  

Stay out of colts neck, nothing to see there, move on. 

I've killed a lot that could call that buck daddy.  

I hunt for the bucks that are smart enough to get big, just to challenge myself.   Rarely will they give you an opportunity even when young. They don't need a pass to get big.  Any buck that keeps showing himself is no smarter than a spike in my book.  If a buck gives me a shot, he doesn't deserve a pass.  If someone else shoots a buck after I passed, then he doubly deserved to die.  The smart bucks you'll only get on camera at 2-3am, if at all.  Most likely he will only show up on camera once, because he rarely takes the same route twice.  Doesn't matter to me how big the antlers are on any deer.  They are all worth taking when I'm in the mood to do so, but hunting for, and outsmarting one of the old phantoms is my goal. 

I like hunting older bucks and good head gear is a bonus.In my area most of the good gene bucks get shot at a young age leaving the bucks that were not so great to age and get  wise. So I fully understand the passing of a tall young buck they get snuffed quick. But if one just one slips through the cracks and makes it past 2.5 or 3.5 and I get a chance to hunt him it gives me something to strive for. But either way if a buck is a big older 4 point or 10 point I like the feeling of accomplishment I get when I do get an older buck it is awesome. But I expect a lot of the bucks I pass to get killed its part of the deal. It is a low odds game that makes it that much more rewarding to me.