IGNORED

Vegetable gardens

They look like blueberries? I always pick wild huckleberries every year.

They are plump this year from the rain.  Still only about half the size of a store bought blueberry.  About half of the bushes have darker(deep purple), smooth skin berries that are much smaller.  My father always called them huckleberries, although the huckleberry bushes I see around here are only knee high.  The bushes I took off his property in NY are over 10' tall, and there were no low bush type there.  I often wondered what they really are.  I'll have to research them more.  I want to find out the best time, and way to trim them down so I can reach the tops.

No maters yet, but I am starting to pick cucumbers with regularity.  Into my second planting of kale.  Tomato and various pepper plants are big and healthy, so I am just waiting...........

Our celery experiment looks like it might work, onions are OK, and my wife has a few brusse.ll sprout (yuck) plants mixed in.

Yum, brussel sprouts.  I tried them one year, but the sprouts didn't come out until after the first frost.  I was in hunting mode by then.  Like to see how your celery turns out.  We use a lot of that, so I should plant it.

Early girl tomatoes had a fast start, but the better boys passed them up.  Didn't bother taking another pic of the girls because they haven't changed since the last time.  Second planting of lettuce is ready to pick, and the first planting is ready for the chickens, and a semi tame wild rabbit that's been hanging around.  Peppers are coming along.

IMG_6772ca.jpg

IMG_6774ca.jpg

IMG_6776ca.jpg

IMG_6777ca.jpg

You guys are way ahead of me.  My first tomato is only the size of a golf ball, and I have no cucumbers or bell peppers yet.    I do have some 6" long zucchini and a booming jalapeno plant, so at least I have that.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

No maters yet, but I am starting to pick cucumbers with regularity.  Into my second planting of kale.  Tomato and various pepper plants are big and healthy, so I am just waiting...........

Our celery experiment looks like it might work, onions are OK, and my wife has a few brusse.ll sprout (yuck) plants mixed in.

Brussel sprouts aren't they more of a early or late season veggie? Cooler weather

Brussel sprouts aren't they more of a early or late season veggie? Cooler weather

Late.  When mine didn't sprout I researched it and read they sprout after the first frost.  Sure enough, they had begun sprouting as I was pulling out the plants to till in mulch before the ground froze..

I'm starting to get pickling cucumbers.  Never made pickes before, but I only have 2 plants and I'm starting to wonder if that was poor planning on my part.  Is the yield from 2 few plants going to be enough to make at least a few jars of pickles? 

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

Late.  When mine didn't sprout I researched it and read they sprout after the first frost.  Sure enough, they had begun sprouting as I was pulling out the plants to till in mulch before the ground froze..

Ok thanks. That's what I thought I remember reading on them before. That's my favorite vegetable buy never tried growing them yet.

I'm starting to get pickling cucumbers.  Never made pickes before, but I only have 2 plants and I'm starting to wonder if that was poor planning on my part.  Is the yield from 2 few plants going to be enough to make at least a few jars of pickles? 

Probably will have more than enough.  Only takes 4 or 5 to fill a jar.  I was going to do it this year but didn't get around to getting the jars yet.  The pickling cukes seemed to grow overnight.  They took me by surprise today.   Last year I saved two jars of juice from store bought pickles and used that.  They say you can reuse pickling juice once or twice, but I found them to be a little weak in flavor.

Edited by Greybeard

If it's not enough just go to a local you pick farm and add to yours. I planted 10 plants for pickles my self. I never made them either before.