IGNORED

Vegetable gardens

Probably will have more than enough.  Only takes 4 or 5 to fill a jar.  I was going to do it this year but didn't get around to getting the jars yet.  The pickling cukes seemed to grow overnight.  They took me by surprise today.   Last year I saved two jars of juice from store bought pickles and used that.

Thanks.  I'd like to try to make bread & butter pickles as those are my favorite.  The ones at the Amish market in Flemington are fantastic (and apparently not Amish either, as I was told they come from a local Hunterdon County source).  Where do you get your jars, or do you just use large Bell canning jars?

If it's not enough just go to a local you pick farm and add to yours. I planted 10 plants for pickles my self. I never made them either before.

That's a great idea.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

I have to look up what would be the best to get.  If I remember right from what I read last year, they can be jarred cold and will keep a while in the fridge.   Or they can be heated and sealed in a canning jar and they will keep for months out of the fridge.  I used to make blackcap jam many years ago, and may still have the pot to heat the jars, but I know I don't have the jars.  I have to refresh my memory on all of this, and time is running out.

I have to look up what would be the best to get.  If I remember right from what I read last year, they can be jarred cold and will keep a while in the fridge.   Or they can be heated and sealed in a canning jar and they will keep for months out of the fridge.

That's what I do with salsa, so I was planning on trying it with pickles.  I have jars of homemade salsa from the garden that I canned September 2016 with Bell mason jars, and they still taste as fresh as the day I canned them when they're opened.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

I polished off the pickles that were left in 2 jars, and filled them with my own.  I have to get my stuff together to pickle the rest pretty soon, and read more about it.  So far, 'how to do it' editorials have been vague. Post a link if you find a good one.  I also like to eat cucumbers by just dipping them in sweet vidalia onion dressing, or other dips.  

Had a double cucumber, joined only by the skin.

The peppers are near ready to pick, but I had to spray where something was killing my plants, so I'll wait until after a couple rains to wash it off.  

Zucchini plants are taking over the garden with all this rain, and picked bush beans twice.  Pole beans have nothing on them yet.  They produce later, which is nice, so I don't get overloaded now.

IMG_7057c.JPG

IMG_7060c.JPG

IMG_7063c.JPG

Well that sucks. Hopefully the rest of your garden is still ok. You think deer got to them?

Not sure yet, if it was deer they would have to put the orange fencing down and I didn't see tracks. Thinking something small. I have to go and investigate.