IGNORED

Free Weights vs Machines

Rusty

Exercise and having more mass have a negligible effect on caloric burn rate or BMR when all is said and done. Diet is the most important thing in terms of keeping weight off (or putting it on), staying lean, etc. Research shows other things like circadian rhythm and your feeding/fasting schedule also play a large role. A good deal of interesting research is being done right now which is great because the masses are poorly educated on what constitutes a healthy lifestyle and this information needs to be studied and published. Of course publishing this stuff doesn't mean it will reach the masses, I'm sure the greedy corporate interests of McDonald's, Kraft, et al will do their best to keep the masses dumb and fat.

The calories burned during exercise maybe insignificant but that’s not the entire picture. If you exercise regularly you raise your metabolism which means every minute of the day, regardless what you are doing you are burning more calories than you would if you didn’t exercise.  Forget weights, cardio is the key.

Also forget counting intake of calories unless you are a pig and eating for 3. Limit your sugar and refined carbohydrate intake and you will be lean, mean and healthy.   

Both....Free weights require excellent form IMO and machines a little less but still need form but I like using machines because you can focus more on the muscle although they doesn't necessarily hit the muscle as effective as free weights with the constant pressure they have on your muscle...also machines are good when you don't have a spot or slightly injured (for those who are too stubborn to take a break)

Edited by NJ Predator

Push-ups  vs.  Benching

Which do you prefer?  

I go through periods of both.  As I age I am doing more pushups, than benching.  Once I backed off on the benching, a lot of joint and tendon pains went away in my elbows and shoulders. My original goal was to be able to bench 300lb by age 50. I fell 15lbs short of that goal, and have been backing off ever since and increasing the pushups. At this point, I would rather do "form correct" and slow and steady dumbbell presses with 60-70 lbs than tossing around the straight bar with 200-250lbs.  Also toss in some incline dumbells. Right now it's mostly pushups, incline dumbells, peck deck, and dips...   Chin-ups, lat pulldowns,  and core stretching and strengthening.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Push-ups vs. Benching

Which do you prefer?

Neither. Although i do enjoy some pushup variations and pushups on my homemade rings.

The best horizontal pressing movement for me is a weighted dip. Way easier on the shoulders than the bench press, while still allowing you the ability to add weight each time out, which is what it's all about.

Edited by not on the rug

I go through periods of both.  As I age I am doing more pushups, than benching.  Once I backed off on the benching, a lot of joint and tendon pains went away in my elbows and shoulders. My original goal was to be able to bench 300lb by age 50. I fell 15lbs short of that goal, and have been backing off ever since and increasing the pushups. At this point, I would rather do "form correct" and slow and steady dumbbell presses with 60-70 lbs than tossing around the straight bar with 200-250lbs.  Also toss in some incline dumbells. Right now it's mostly pushups, incline dumbells, peck deck, and dips...   Chin-ups, lat pulldowns,  and core stretching and strengthening.

I hear you with the getting old thing.  I like benching but at 53 I don't want to blow out a shoulder, I haven't tried to max in years.  I start with 265 and drop 20 pounds for each consecutive set for 4 sets, then I finish off with 2 sets of spiderman pushups.   

I hear you with the getting old thing.  I like benching but at 53 I don't want to blow out a shoulder, I haven't tried to max in years.  I start with 265 and drop 20 pounds for each consecutive set for 4 sets, then I finish off with 2 sets of spiderman pushups.   

My elbow tendonitis was getting so bad, that in 2015 I thought I may have to go to crossbow.  Last season, no issues - the max benching 3 days a week although good for the chest, was straining my joints too much. As you age, the joints and tendons start failing long before muscles decrease. Even worse for those suffering from arthritis.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

My elbow tendonitis was getting so bad, that in 2015 I thought I may have to go to crossbow. Last season, no issues - the max benching 3 days a week although good for the chest, was straining my joints too much. As you age, the joints and tendons start failing long before muscles decrease. Even worse for those suffering from arthritis.

You should only be doing max anything every 7-10 days anyway. No wonder u had tendonitis.

Most compound lifts get hit 2x a week and should be a heavy (max) day and an 80% day. Squats being the exception. Squatting can and should be done 3x a week. Heavy day, light (recovery) day which is about 70% of heavy day and then a medium day of 80-85% of the max weight for that week.

If you guys want to know more about programming, feel free to let me know

Edited by not on the rug

Free weights, but I also have a bowflex. (Is it bad to admit that?) lol

I saw LPJR's arms in a trout picture though....and realized I'm a noodle armed pussy. Do whatever he does if you want bigger musskles. 

As for fat loss which I saw mentioned, I've done pretty serious amounts several times.... (lost 120# in 6 months, 50# in 3 months...and most recently 60# in 4 months)

Here are the three keys for me:

Activity level. You don't have to "exercise", but be on your feet or up and down ladders or wade a river while you fish for 8-10 hours a day and you're burning a lot more calories than if you sit on a computer or in a car, etc. Burning more calories is a lot faster route to fat loss than just cutting calories. (but a calorie deficit is obviously necessary)

Next is to drink tons of water. On a regular day, I drink about a gallon...on a hard day I have drank over 2 gallons closing in on 3. It keeps you feeling full and satisfied and is critical for so many of your bodies functions. It's just important, so drink tons of water. You're pee should be very light yellow to clearish.

Finally, eat clean....no processed crap, no refined sugars, etc....I eat real meat, real vegetables, real fish, real fruit, etc....I eat way less grains but do eat some on occasion. I eat a lot of healthy fats, proteins, and usually less carbs, but don't cut them out entirely, depends on what they come from and what I'm doing.

Basically I kind of eat paleo....but I have modified everything to work for me....Because I also fast a lot...and I also add in days of carb loading if I weight train hard. I weight train later in the day and eat the carbs right after. I also go some days with extra calories and then fast or eat way less. I'm losing another 30# or so right now, but am trying to do it much slower so I don't gain any weight back and ingrain this lifestyle once and for all.

If I don't, eventually I slip back into being kind of lazy and eating very poorly and getting to be a big fat phuck.

Obviously adding muscle is important in fat loss, but I find it hard to actually make any serious gains while losing weight. I do stay up on weight training while losing fat, but I wait till I'm down to a better weight, then I switch over to gains. But I have to be careful because I get fat quickly if I take in too many carbs....even while heavy w0eight training.

That's just my take on it....I do think certain things work for some people and not others....you have to kind of figure out your body. 

Why are we talking about this? You guys want LPJR's arms? Gotta hit the gym bro.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear