IGNORED

Youth Day Doe Down - LOOONG DAY

buckfever1974

Got in our natural ground blind just as the sun was coming up. At about 645 we had three does come in one at a time, the first two were small but I told her to wait as mom was probably going to come last. They were stacked so she had to wait for the big one to clear. As it did and she got the safety off, I saw a BIG 8 pointer coming in from our far left at 25 yards. As it came closer she seemed pretty calm but her eyes were popping. Lol. It gave her the perfect shot but for reasons I can't explain she shot and it kind of just jumped off about 30 yards and looked back. By the time others all said and done, she essentially shaved the underside of the deer and left us a couple drops of blood. Out of respect for the animal and due to the fact that she was extremely upset, three of us looked all morning. No other sign and we even looked at all the areas where we could find water just in case it was gut shot. Nothin.

At lunch time she was undecided about what she wanted to do next. I let her sleep an hour or two and I ran to the Clinton range to check the zero. It was on at 50 two weeks ago but hits about 1 1/2" low at 30. I got it set up so it was zeroed at 30, the range of where our blind is set up for. I went back and she had gotten a couple calls from some of my buddies with words of encouragement. We had thrown out clothes into the Scent Crusher bag before I left so the mornings sweat looking around was a non issue.

Got dressed in MUCH less clothing and went back up to the blind. I brought her tripod for some extra balance but before I could even get the legs all extended she was telling me that deer were coming in and to give her the gun that I had set to the side until we were set up. I didn't believe it but when I looked there were a couple of does making a bee line to the Pinch Point block and some apples we had set out earlier that week. The lead does stopped at exactly 30 yards and was staring in our direction. She was on one knee and determined to shoot one even though I thought maybe it was on small side. Then again, she wanted meat after the morning adventure. To her credit, she was calm, cool and zoned in. She shot and was immediately disappointed that it didn't just drop but I knew it was hit hard as its legs were going faster then it could get traction and I could see blood pumping out as it ran. We waited about 5-10 minutes before checking the impact spot and I pumped my fist after seeing the tracking job I was gonna be taking up. It was like a long line of paint spill. Anyway, I didn't track it, she did and her excitement was one I will never forget. We found it liked up after about 50-60 yards. She was on cloud 9. She dragged it down the hill after some quick pics as we don't like to gut the deer in the area we hunt. She helped hold the legs once she got passed looking away at the butt puller. More pics and many more phone calls and off to Jorge the Butcher who isn't friend of both of ours.

I told her at least a few times that a trophy isn't in the size of the deer as it is in the experience you had and what it means to you. We only spent probably and hour, if that between the morning and the 90 second blind sit in the afternoon but one of the most memorable days in the woods that I have ever had.

If the pics don't sit right, miss, please adjust. Doing this from my phone.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

trim.365AB48B-A1DF-4F5E-8800-E70F1A2470BB.MOV

Sooooo Proud of That Little Girl !!! PLEASE give her a big congratulations hug for me !!!

Good Job Dad !!!

Get the pics up on the Youth Contest Thread !!!

Edited by Ms Grit

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member