IGNORED

I lost him (RIP Attila)

I hate hearing these stories. I remember running into an old timer walking and hunting pheasants alone one day. He said how good looking my lab was. I said, "where's yours?" His reply was, "I lost him last year-it hurts more than most people". I laughed but there's some truth in that. Sorry you lost your buddy.

Paul -

I don't know you or Attilla, except through your posts, but it is obvious that you shared a special bond. I had such a bond with my first dog. I lost him to old age and infirmity(he was 17) over 40 years ago.

I still think of him and have some fond, some embarrassing and some funny memories. You will also.

Bird dogs do an amazing thing for us hunters. They love the hunt. They live and breathe for the hunt...even more than the most dedicated hunter. Because of that, they make a place in our hearts and in our minds for themselves. The place in our minds is always theirs and the memories will always be with us. The place in our hearts will seem empty when they leave us, but that is because in order to fit, they made our hearts bigger. When you are ready, there will be other things and other dogs to fill the void that Attilla has made, and if it is another dog, you may be sure that it will make that space in your heart even bigger.

That empty feeling you have right now may be a cause for sorrow, but that will change. Rest assured...that place he created in your heart is Attilla's last and most lasting gift to his beloved master and hunting partner.

They make us better persons... if we let them.

RayG

Paul... I am very sorry to hears this bad news. Especially since the last vet you visited got your hopes up only to be let down. Having hunted with you and Atilla several times I know how attached to him you are. 

It's going to sting for a month at least but don't do what you want to do and jump into getting another dog. Take some time to mourn him..... I'm speaking from experience.[emoji8] e3fb57d4ed1c6a4bd9f42a728f131f45.jpg[emoji24]

Molon Labe

You got that right. When our Lab died prematurely from a congenital heart defect at age 4 we got a  free replacement from the breeder. The new dog was a dufus, my sons;my(then) wife and I couldn't connect with him. We ended up giving him away to a good home

Edited by 230jhp