IGNORED

Anyone need a deer head?

JerseyJaysTaxidermy

Listing says antlers are replica not real

Yes but there are tons of mounts on ebay for sale. No question, they are selling them, even if the antlers in my example are not real. We are talking about a head any way so it applies very nicely.

I am now not sure I know what the law is? I always believed if the taxidermist worked on it then it is legal to buy/sell ....now I don't know

LOL...brings back memories of when I ran my processing business....same scenario, just a different product. Don't miss that at all.....

Well, since you were in the business I have a question. What happens to all the skins from the butchered deer. is there a market for them? Are you allowed to sell them?

Jay, you just can't trust some people. Doesn't pay to be a Nice Guy either. Glad you named a few creeps!! Think you need to require deposits to cover your expenses. Not fair for you to take such losses!! Just saying. You are a great guy who does great work. :up:

I think deposit makes it better but it still does not cover his expenses. I had a feeling this happens a lot. People get caught up in the moment but then a year later they just don't want to spend the money, :down:

Ohhh let's not forget that prick "pigman"...

I did an artificial European skull on a deer he shot here in NJ.

I picked it up from him, no deposit, mounted, shipped to TX for him, never got paid. He owed me like $140 -150

Phone number goes to one of his personal assistants and I could never get in contact with him. After a dozen calls one guy finally said skull arrived broke in half.. (it's a resin skull. .. they do not break in half)

Anyway- all his money and fame and he had to beat me out of a lousy $150.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Bad karma. That's why he got his eye knocked out.

"All men die, not all men really live". WW

Yes but there are tons of mounts on ebay for sale. No question, they are selling them, even if the antlers in my example are not real. We are talking about a head any way so it applies very nicely.

I am now not sure I know what the law is? I always believed if the taxidermist worked on it then it is legal to buy/sell ....now I don't know

Many other states allow the sale of antlers.. but in NJ you can not buy or sell deer antlers. In NJ you can not sell anything indigenous to NJ except fur bearers other than bears.

Illegal to sell in nj:

Turkey

Bear

Deer (other than back hide, or lower legs)

COUNTRYWIDE: migratory birds unless proof of farm raised

This is easy to solve (or at least make better) - require a deposit, ALWAYS AND NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are good at what you do (and based on the pix over the years, Jay, you seem to do great work) then people won't scoff at it and would be willing to pay it.

If they REFUSE to give a deposit, that alone should tell you something and be happy you didn't do business with them anyway.

If someone gives a deposit, it also gives them more incentive to pay up the rest. Otherwise, without a deposit, you are just letting these people go "I'll give it to Jay to mount, if I can pay for it later, great. If not, no biggie, I'm not out any cash."

Minimum 25% deposit for a repeat customer. First time customer, 50%. That would be my rule. And no exceptions, I don't care if you are the brother of a sister of a really good friend "whose good for it, I can vouch for him, I promise".  :rofl:

This is now your full time business, right Jay?  No longer a side project as it once was? If this is now your livelihood, consider yourself a professional now and any professional should be able to ask for a deposit before starting work. And any rational person would/should not have a problem with it. If they have a problem with it, then they are already thinking ahead of how they can stiff you if they can't scrape up the money later.

Many other states allow the sale of antlers.. but in NJ you can not buy or sell deer antlers. In NJ you can not sell anything indigenous to NJ except fur bearers other than bears.

Illegal to sell in nj:

Turkey

Bear

Deer (other than back hide, or lower legs)

COUNTRYWIDE: migratory birds unless proof of farm raised

Thanks for the info

Minimum 25% deposit for a repeat customer. First time customer, 50%. That would be my rule. And no exceptions, I don't care if you are the brother of a sister of a really good friend "whose good for it, I can vouch for him, I promise".  :rofl:

At least that

Edited by Silver Belly62

Hard part is all my deposits come in in the 4th quaternary of the year.. so I need to pay income taxes on deposits (money that is for tanning costs and materials that I don't spend until the 1st or 2nd quarter of the following year) so if I take it all in in the fall, I need to claim it and pay income taxes on it (25%) which makes things very tight when tanning bills come in and a years worth of materials need to be purchased... so it's nice to have those few clients that pay when it's all done, cause all the materials are paid for, it's all mine (-25% income tax)

I know it's dumb, but its feels better getring the whole lump at the end lol. And some customers paying full up front, so it balances out (as long as everyone picks up in a timely fashion- which isn't always the case)

I like when my bulk income comes in the same qtr I have most of my expenses-but it never works out that way lol.

Edited by JerseyJaysTaxidermy

We have a rule in our business not to do any work without being paid our expenses first.  No exceptions.  Our final billing is our profits, but we can never get screwed out of airfare, hotels, meals, excavator operator hourly rate, or machine rental, diesel or car rentals that way.  

Well, since you were in the business I have a question. What happens to all the skins from the butchered deer. is there a market for them? Are you allowed to sell them?

Yes, you can sell the hides, same as you would if you are a trapper. When I started the business (around 1985), hides were going for around $3 each (if not rubbed). I'd freeze them, and when I got about 50 or so I'd run them to the fur buyer, he told me they wind up in China where they make gloves out of the leather. They got as high as $7 around 1998 or 1999, then when the dot.com/Wall Street crash came around 2001, they went to about $2; I started throwing them in the trash at that point. I gave it all up around 2005, not sure what deer hides are worth now.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

Yes, you can sell the hides, same as you would if you are a trapper. When I started the business (around 1985), hides were going for around $3 each (if not rubbed). I'd freeze them, and when I got about 50 or so I'd run them to the fur buyer, he told me they wind up in China where they make gloves out of the leather. They got as high as $7 around 1998 or 1999, then when the dot.com/Wall Street crash came around 2001, they went to about $2; I started throwing them in the trash at that point. I gave it all up around 2005, not sure what deer hides are worth now.

Thank you