IGNORED

Handheld GPS

Need some reccomendations on handheld GPS'
​Ineed something that is simple, basic , easy to use with good battery life that is also up to date with Maps.
​Im going out to my lease in Illinois for turkey and to set stands and I wanted to utilize it to markl stands and runs and watpoints

I have the top of the line Garmin hand held and get ready, you will laugh at me, I use my phone with AntlerInsenity app. I hate to say it but the GPS on my cell with the app is more accurate, more sensitive and much easier to use. The only problem is that you need the cell signal, not just the GPS signal for it to work properly.  

Do you still use your Delorme unit ?

Yes, and I like it.  Cabelas has the Garmin 680T on sale now.  I was looking at it and really liked the large screen. It is pre loaded with 100k topo maps.  It did not have all the new logging roads on it like my Delorme.  You can get a card for it that has the more detailed 24K topo's but I don't know if it has the roads either.  I kind of doubt it, the roads are on the Delorme map that comes with the Delorme PN40.  

I used to use my Garmin handheld very often for work and for "play", but now find myself just using my I phone.  At least here in most of the East we have cell coverage everywhere.  One less thing to carry and one less thing to feed with batteries.  

I agree but I need a GPS when I am up in Maine, no service.

Edited by Nomad

phones ok. i would rather have a backup incase anything were to happen to the phone. people are to attached to their phones these days and when the phone goes out, then they get scared. because without their phone they are useless.

Scoutlook def works well in all the places I have used it.

I carry a jump pack charger(which is small) to maintain good battery life in the phone.

I also have the Topo map app on the phone.

I liked hunt on the X also when it first came out. seeing actual property lines etc was a great feature. but they made changes and the app wasnt as user friendly the last time I used it.

Nice thing about scoutlook is you can use your tablet at home and get a much better view.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I have this: Garmin eTrex 20: https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-01508-00-eTrex-20x/dp/B00XQE6ZFG

Fits your criteria: simple, basic , easy to use with good battery life that is also up to date with Maps. It's a Garmin - you can load it with free maps you can get on the Internet (in fact, i even have the outlines of all the WMAs and deer zones on mine).

This doesn't have a touchscreen, which I think is a plus. I don't trust those touchscreens - when its cold out and you are wearing gloves, I'd rather have the little knob this has for control. Never have a problem in the cold, works with gloves.

This doesn't have a touchscreen, which I think is a plus. I don't trust those touchscreens - when its cold out and you are wearing gloves, I'd rather have the little knob this has for control. Never have a problem in the cold, works with gloves.

Good point. I could see the touchscreen as a hardship in cold and or rainy weather when you are wearing gloves.

Edited by Nomad

I agree but I need a GPS when I am up in Maine, no service.

I have the same challenge in NH.  My favorite sign on rt 3 north is "Last Electricity", and you're still a 20 minute drive to the Canadian border.  No cell coverage anywhere.  I have a pair of Garmin 650s with the 24K maps and they are outstanding.  I throw one in my motorcycle bag when I ride to download rides to Garmin Base camp and then to Google Earth.  You can then export them out of Google Earth to share with other people.

My 650s are touch screens, but they are pressure-touch not capacitance-touch which phones are based on.  So I can use them with a gloved hand in the field.  With a pair of 650s my buddy and I can poll each other's locations and send text messages.  This is especially important because we're rifle hunting in thick forest.

They weren't cheap, but they are pretty awesome.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.