IGNORED

EDIT

Funny you should mention that. Im looking now and cant decide what I want to get.

I was told all of his(Wolters) books are good: Family dog, gun dog and game dog. I was also told that he does not train with an e-collar and if I wanted to (for reinforcement) that I should look elsewhere as far as reading material goes. Now call me crazy but why wouldnt I be able to read up on his books and then learn about the proper way of introducing her to the e collar when the time is right? 

Hillmans dvd's were recommended to me as well as a bunch of other books and dvd's to where now I dont know what to decide on, haha

That is true.  Gun Dog was written back in the 60's back before e-collars were around.  However, that doesn't meant that you can't use an e-collar as well.  I used this method and also introduced the e-collar down the road when my pup got older.  All of the principles remain the same but you modify the method.  Another good resource that I found to be useful was youtube videos by Willow Creek Kennels.  Check them out.  Those were the two resources that I used the most.  I think Gun Dog laid the foundation with a lot of good principles to apply in his methods and Willow Creek shows a lot more methods to use and allows you to see it being done in action.  There are numerous ways to do it all and no one way is necessarily the right way.  They can all work.  Much of it is based on repetition.  Just be patient, enjoy it, and go at whatever pace your pup allows.  Pay attention to your dogs cues.  Keep training sessions short and quit before the dog gets bored.  Something things will be picked up quickly, others will take more time  Most importantly, BE PATIENT.  Keep us updated on how Remi does.  My GSP is named Remi too. 

What a great looking dog. Very exciting time for you and your family, congrats on Remi becoming the newest family member!

Lots of great advice on here from guys with great field dogs, absorb it all. Going to be awesome when you get your first flush and bird while hunting with her.

Great looking pup. As for training, plenty of good books out there but get to know your dog, take time through obedience training and start it NOW! I've found positive reinforcement the best form of training there is. That means no losing your temper, no shock collars and lots of short training sessions. First teach the pup to learn their name, after that follow with sit and release. Your pup must learn to sit and stay sitting until you release them with a command, i use the word free to release mine. You must master these two commands before you advance to come, stop etc. When they don't do what you ask, say no in a stern and correct them by showing what you want. When they do what you want say good in a happy voice and praise heavily. The best advice i can give anyone is using the word no and good but never using their name attached to either. Never relate their name to a behavior and never repeat commands, always one no and correct the behavior

Edited by maximus66

AWM

• 2 weeks later...