IGNORED

your still-hunting methods?

mazzgolf

All this talk about how people like to hunt and favorite hunting methods, I see some saying still-hunting. I might want to try still-hunting more myself. Staring at the same trees for days and days does get boring after a while - I wouldn't mind moving around to different locations.

But how do you do it? What are the methods so you don't spook the deer but you can cover some ground?

First, I stillhunt where I am fairly certain other hunters are not around, as I don't want to disturb them.  And, I usually wear camo with the required orange hat as I hunt with a gun not a bow.

1 - I 'll park and get ready quietly then walk in slowly and quietly for about 10 yds to 20 yds to find a large tree or blowdown to stand next to or lean against.  And it starts.

2 - I'll stand there 15 min to 20 min scanning very slowly using mostly my head and as little of body movement as possible from left to right, back and forth and behind me, starting in close and then working out as far as I can see  while also selecting a route to take with large trees or blowdowns to conceal against. Many times the available cover dictates the route.

3 - Very slowly and quietly, like an egret moves along a shoreline, I move to my next position watching where I'm stepping so as not to snap anything and looking and looking and looking as I go. And did I mention go slowly & quietly?   Now, when I'm in my new position its back to step # 2.

Patience is the key.  You will be amazed at the distance you cover after a couple of hours.  I don't use scent blockers, ozone gear or magic potions and have had deer pass within 5 yds of me. Many times the difficulty is raising the gun and gettin a bead on a deer to get a shot without them detecting you. Particularly if they catch you off guard.

If you enjoy the woods and what goes on in them, then this is a challenge and a lot of fun.  If you are a meat or trophy hunter or consider it a bad day if you don't shoot something then I wouldn't recommend it.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

First, the conditions have to be right.  Raining, snowing, damp ground, deep or wet snow,  gusting winds, and having cover in your favor are pluses. Dry leaves, forget it.  Go through stands of pines, or grassy cedar patches, or swamps when conditions are dry.  Move when the wind gusts rattle the leaves.

Watch the thermals and wind direction.  For the most part, thermals will take your scent uphill as the sun rises, and will fall into the valley at sunset.   You can zig zag into the wind, giving yourself left and right crosswinds.

Camo isn't a game changer, but I like the concealment of ghillie suits when not moving.  Moving too fast, too noisy, is what will get you busted.  Do more looking than walking.  Stay close to cover, move tree to tree.

I like to do it when the deer are moving, early morning when the leaves are still damp, and midday/all day during the rut if the conditions are right.  Stillhunting bedded deer is a challenge if they are in thick cover.  You can sneak to within 5 yds, but if it's too thick to get a shot, or they see you first, then it's just an exciting moment when they bust out of there.

With a gun, I like to hunt along ridgetops, moving down the ridge 50yds, then peaking over the edge.  Also, by crossing over fingerhills, crawling up to each crest to peak over the other side.  Stillhunting along the edges of thick swamps, where the brush breaks up enough to give you a shot, works with both gun or bow. 

With the bow, I prefer moving along the downwind side of deer trails, and areas that are thick even if I have to do some crawling to get through.  Need to stop more often, and listen/look for 10-15 minutes before moving a little farther.  During the rut, I often have heard grunts, then the stillhunt turned into a more intense stalk.

Once I stillhunted to the edge of a patch of cedars, saw 2 doe in the corner of a field 60yds away across open woods.  They saw me at the same time.  I wiggled my foot in the leaves and made squirrel chatter.  They went back to feeding.  I made more chatter and skipped a stone through the leaves while taking a step.  They looked for a moment, then didn't look at all when I did it over, and over again, and again, keeping a big oak at the edge of the field between us.  I made it to the oak, and scared the crap out of them when I stepped out and said hello.

Never hunted from the Trees but for one time.  Felt limited. Always hunted at ground level, and those areas we small game hunted.  The entire small game season U could say we were Scouting and planning. The deer habits changed with the coming of the opening day and food sources.  When a good spot was found some minor area preps were made by cleaning out Branches and making a small pile. the areas we hunted were Miles and Miles mostly wooded. Sussex, Warren, Hunterton.  there may be some 20 locations planned on. As opening day approached the best spot was chosen by Deer signs Trails Bedding Rubs Scrapes. one thing was we never approached from the same direction. Not that the deer minded but not to leave our trail.  The experiences of past seasons we used to our advantage. As we always were at those spots 2 hours before first light. Meaning when other hunters entered the area from where what time directions. Most would come in at first light driving the deer in our direction.  It takes time and patience to learn that deer are creatures of habit. For example, Hunting at Walpack on the mountainsides the deer would travel up the hill in the morning and Downhill come night. That because of the natural Draft of the wind. The Shady sides also play important roles they like to travel with the sun at their backs. So we always hunted the North side of the Mountain Mornings Eastside in the Evening.  As far as moving around it was done sometime during the hunts. Mostly when other hunters disturbed the area. BUT I have seen when deer will Follow a hunter so don't be so fast to Move they have a habit of circling around or chased back by another hunter.  Othe hunters can be an asset or a hindrance, You make the choice. IMO being mobile being able to have other options that were planned ahead is better than One tree stand.                                        IMO letting Deer do what deer do naturally rather than Attracting is better. But Remember My Days were 6 Day Firearm - Buck Shot - Buck only where Monday and Saturday were the only options.   I did Muzzle Loader - Either Sex multiple days of hunting almost countless numbers of permit deer.  I agree times have Changed but the Goals have remained the same. Opportunities in Time - Available Places have put many methods into play.     I was blessed to have had My Grandfather -Father along with many others over the years to learn and enjoy hunting with success and failures. The memories the stories exaggerated over time. The Abundance of Small and Big game in new jersey. I can only say The ways and conditions you encounter in Nj today are so very different- Foreign to me.  It is whatever Floats your Boat. Put the time in pay attention explore there are 1000s of public lands just along Delaware from Rt 206 to Rt 80  with little pressure to Zero. as a lot of hunters don't want to take what it takes to explore.  In other words Road hunters 300 feet from their car.                                                                            Also, Keep in mind everything I mentioned can be thrown out in a Snowstorm. And we had that a few times.

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

This is my favorite type of deer hunting ( even though I’ve had very little luck with it). As other have said the most important thing is being able to walk quietly. Hunting during a snowstorm is the best.

One of my most memorable hunts was during a heavy snowstorm a few years ago. Still hunting during permit shotgun while snow was dumping down. Got to within about 5 yards of a bedded down doe. She was nice size probably close to 100lbs. She was bedded under a blowdown facing away from me. I got to  about 5 yards and she didn’t even know I was behind her. I didn’t want to shoot while she was bedded down so I yelled “hey”. She jumped to her feet and spun around to look at me . As soon as she spun I pulled the trigger and dropped her right where she stood.

I have got two other does still hunting. One other with the shotgun and one with the crossbow. Getting a decent buck while still hunting is definitely on my bucket list. I’m sure it will happen soon.

Along with my 3 successful still hunts I have countless unsuccessful still hunts. But it is an unbelievable feeling when it does work.