IGNORED

Lake Ontario Brown Trout

Nomad

Took a ride up to Fair Haven, N.Y., on Lake Ontario and set my camper up, on my property.    Still quite a bit of snow around in places up there.  

Was up to try some spin casting for Browns.  Hit some of the river mouths, wading and casting spoons and stick baits.  The water is still ice cold, so I think I was a little early for the Browns.  Looked like the steelhead action was going on though, with a lot of cars parked at Maxwell Creek.   Had no action until I got to the Oswego River.   Caught a bunch of smaller Browns casting a Rapala Countdown Minnow.   Kept these two for dinner tomorrow night.  Was hoping for some bigger Browns, but they are probably a week or two away, after the water warms a little, and the bait fish move in. 

I got checked by the game warden who measured my fish and took my D.L. and fishing license back to his truck to run a "check".  :praying:  Luckily I came back "clean",  I guess. :up:  Nice guy, all business.  

Had a great two days and looking forward to going back in a week or so.

ont2.jpg

ont.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

I went to college up in Oswego.  Lost a monster walleye within a few feet of where you took that picture.  I didn't have a net to pull em up the wall.  If it's still the same, mid April was good for browns along the shore and shallows. Little Cleo's were real popular.  Nobody else seemed to use em but I had good luck with big rooster tails (3/4oz) in firetiger color. Didn't cast as far as the spoons but caught fish. 

5 minutes ago, MikeStaten said:

I went to college up in Oswego.  Lost a monster walleye within a few feet of where you took that picture.  I didn't have a net to pull em up the wall.  If it's still the same, mid April was good for browns along the shore and shallows. Little Cleo's were real popular.  Nobody else seemed to use em but I had good luck with big rooster tails (3/4oz) in firetiger color. Didn't cast as far as the spoons but caught fish. 

Hi Mike.  I don't know if you remember, but you gave me advice on fishing up there probably 6 or so years ago.  (Longbow) on the other site.   A was going to go down and try off the rocks by Ft. Ontario, the spot you told me about, but another guy said the railroad posted all the property going down there.  Another guy said he has been catching lots of walleye by the hotels, but the season is closed now.  Thanks again for the advice years ago have had quite a few nice trips over the years!

45 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Hi Mike.  I don't know if you remember, but you gave me advice on fishing up there probably 6 or so years ago.  (Longbow) on the other site.   A was going to go down and try off the rocks by Ft. Ontario, the spot you told me about, but another guy said the railroad posted all the property going down there.  Another guy said he has been catching lots of walleye by the hotels, but the season is closed now.  Thanks again for the advice years ago have had quite a few nice trips over the years!

Very welcome.  You may want to try the lake at Fair Haven campground.  I used to catch Pike there. 

6 minutes ago, MikeStaten said:

Very welcome.  You may want to try the lake at Fair Haven campground.  I used to catch Pike there. 

I fished the stream that comes out of that pond at the mouth, where it dumps into Ontario for browns, and the pier, no luck, on this trip.  Got them there before.  I might take my canoe out there on that pond and try for Pike. Thanks.

Edited by Nomad

1 minute ago, Blend No 27 said:

Is the NY property new? Gonna be doing any deer hunting up there this fall?

It's only 10 acres, but it backs up to a swamp and state land.  I've had it for 2 hunting seasons.  Last year was the first time I hunted it, during rifle season.  I passed up two bucks, a one horn 6(big body) and a basket rack of some kind.   I almost shot them, because I wanted to shoot something on "my property" but i didn't.  Going to sit my son up there on youth weekend, if I can get a break with the high school football.