IGNORED

so close, I could taste the venison!

mazzgolf

I was so close today! It was a great morning - squirrels, geese, crow, deer... another crazy morning... no turkey though - but I know they're here.

Morning could have been better if I felt confident enough to shoot!  :nailbiter:

As usual, get in my tree before first light and within 5 minutes I'm squirrel watching. But by 7:15 I heard what I swear was a human walking behind me. I mean, the way the footsteps sounded, the cadence, everything made me think, "Damn, some guy is walking right into me." But just in case, I move slowly, barely turn my head to look, and that's all she wrote - deer about 40 yards away looked up, head bobbing to look around the trees at me, stomped her foot one time, turned, and trotted away. :crying:  Dammit! Busted from behind again!! You would think these deer are hunting ME they way they sneak up on me!

So I think I'm done for the morning. But I have time, so I just sit and keep watching the squirrels. Heard a few crow over head squawking as they normally do. Then the geese start pouring in. I must have had 3 flocks land in the field next to me (can't wait for goose season - second time in a row I've seen them here!). Geese are making a racket, so I watch them for a little. But then some movement in front of me catches my eye! FINALLY! Three doe come walking directly in front of me. Guess getting busted doesn't always mean your done.

I stand up, ready the bow, and just watch the deer feeding and walking closer. :praying: Please, just come a little closer!!! They were interested in the geese out in the field - so their attention was elsewhere. They didn't see me at all.

Well, no bucks here, but I'm still looking for my first deer, and I don't care about antlers - so I'm targeting the one big fat doe in the group. If I had any kind of skill (or had a crossbow :D ) I would have had my first deer this morning but they were just far enough out where I wasn't confident of the shot. I had my bow drawn on the big doe twice - but I just didn't feel it. The shot was just outside what I wanted. She was maybe 30 yards at the closest point. I could've hit her if I released the arrow, but it was one of those things where I wasn't 100% confident :nailbiter: , and I promised myself my first deer I would make a clean, close shot - no more than 20 yards - that's all I need is a wounded or gut shot deer for my first. In the end, I watched them for about 20 minutes - came in, left, came back again!, and left again for good. But they never came close enough. I just haven't had the time to put in the practice needed to make a confident 30-35 yard shot - man, if she only just walked 5 steps closer!

Anyway, I learned a couple things. If you get busted by a lone deer, keep your chin up! Day's still young! Second, I was surprised after drawing the bow twice, that they never saw me or the movement. I guess if you go slow enough, and they are busy eating or watching geese or whatever, they still won't see you. And lastly, never take for granted all that God has put on this earth for us to enjoy. From the stars in the night sky when you walk in pre-dawn, to the squirrels jumping around in the trees (those guys are acrobats!), to the deer munching on acorns as they watch geese out in the field. Didn't bring home a deer (man, when the bow was drawn, I could just taste the venison! ) but still gotta enjoy it while you can.

I gonna go back one or two more times this week - maybe I can get something before fall bow is done. Then I can concentrate on those geese in a few weeks!

I was so close today! It was a great morning - squirrels, geese, crow, deer... another crazy morning... no turkey though - but I know they're here.

I had my bow drawn on the big doe twice - but I just didn't feel it. The shot was just outside what I wanted. She was maybe 30 yards at the closest point. I could've hit her if I released the arrow, but it was one of those things where I wasn't 100% confident :nailbiter: , and I promised myself my first deer I would make a clean, close shot - no more than 20 yards - that's all I need is a wounded or gut shot deer for my first. In the end, I watched them for about 20 minutes - came in, left, came back again!, and left again for good. But they never came close enough. I just haven't had the time to put in the practice needed to make a confident 30-35 yard shot - man, if she only just walked 5 steps closer!

I gonna go back one or two more times this week - maybe I can get something before fall bow is done. Then I can concentrate on those geese in a few weeks!

You had a great morning in nature.  Total win.  

You didn't feel confident in the shot, so you didn't take it.  Total win.  That puts you miles ahead of most people in terms of intelligence and sportsmanship.  Now go home and practice 35 yard shots

Don't give up yet to shoot stupid geese.  The rut is starting up and the woods will be alive with deer activity

Edited by not on the rug

Great hunt. You should try to make all your shots within 20 yards, not just for your first deer. Practice shooting at longer distances.

Very true, I've been bowhunting for 40 years and I have never taken a shot over 20 yards.  The challenge of bowhunting for me is getting close, not trying to make a hard shot.