IGNORED

Brought home a Tacoma

mazzgolf

All sweet rides! Ken how do you like having the cap? Having a Tahoe suv now I'm wondering how the lack of covered and locked storage is gonna be with a pickup. Hoping a double or crew cab will be enough to storm my gear lol

I have a cap on my Ranger (the truck my Tacoma is replacing). I loved that cap. Roomy, out of the weather, lockable. It was great. The only problem was obviously if you want to transport something tall, you can't do it. I thought about what I wanted on the new truck - cap or tonneau. I was leaning to tonneau only because there were times when the cap did limit what I wanted to put in the bed. Turned out, when I went to the dealer to check out this Tacoma, it already had a tonneau on it - so that made the decision for me. :) The new Tacomas have a lockable tailgate, now, too. So with that and the hard-cover tri-fold tonneau, I have a secure bed but if I need to transport something big, just fold it up or even take the whole thing off if need be.

All sweet rides! Ken how do you like having the cap? Having a Tahoe suv now I'm wondering how the lack of covered and locked storage is gonna be with a pickup. Hoping a double or crew cab will be enough to storm my gear lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love having a cap especially during hunting season all my hunting gear stays locked up in the back. I all so have a pickup vault In the back for added lockable storage.

20160514_090804.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

"Don't forget that you're First Marines! Not all the Communists in hell can overrun you!" - Chesty Puller

Nice! I'm on the fence between what I want. Currently having an SUV it's really nice to be able to lock stuff up and keep it out of the weather when traveling. The downsize is as mazzgolf said, if you want to transport something tall or just want to dirty the hell out of the back end be able to hose it out, SUVs don't fit the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

My 99 was bought back for 12.5k in 2008.  

Here is my 2 cents.  These trucks are long term investments, not throw aways.  I would highly recommend undercoating the entire frame INSIDE and OUT.  I do this service on vehicles for a reasonable price.  If you want we can figure out some horse trading and make it happen.  When I get back into a Taco next year I will be doing this treatment to the frame.

I've since added a few things to my truck since that picture was taken.  :eyebrow:

Mud flaps and then a bed liner were the first things (stuff slides all over that slick bed floor without a liner).

I bought and installed the rear bed rail (the '16s don't come with them, which is annoying - but was a simple install and now I have a place to put my bed rail cleats since the tonneau uses up all the side rails - though I doubt I'll be able to use them for much of anything). Then bought some of these T-slot nuts to slide in the rail (perfect fit in the new rail) and made my own hi-lift jack mount with some metal bars, knobs, and bolts from Tractor Supply that fits perfect under the tonneau and out of the way in the back.

hi-lift-jack-undercover-flex.jpg

Also got this Draw-Tite Hitch (another surprisingly simple do-it-yourself job) and got this solid tow-strap shackle mount, in case I ever get stuck - but I hope not! I plan on eventually buying and installing the  trailer light kit, but I don't really need it right now, so I'll wait for more disposable income.

And yesterday, I just ordered my camo-with-black-trim neoprene seats from Wet Okole. B) Can't wait!  Should look like this (except I got the console cover, too) Custom made-to-order, won't get them for a few weeks.

Hopefully, I'm done sinking money into it for a while  :D

That bed slide looks awesome! Never seen one of those before. Nice.

I do like caps (that Ranger I just sold had one). But there were times (rare, but it did happen a couple times) when I needed to put something back there but was too big and I wished I had a way to get access to the full open bed easily. That's the only reason I opted for the tonneau - I love the caps other than that.