IGNORED

Thoughts on this “Building Back Better” project

Bonefreak

New bridge over the Toms River at the NJ Forestry Center in Jackson. 

it’s a dirt road that connects Rt 527 and Don Connor Blvd. It’s rarely traveled due to it being a bumpy dirt road. It used to be a trout stocking location but bridge workers say they have seen the trout truck come through as there is no access to the river. 

I fished this bridge for years and never really noticed it needed repairs….I actually remember it being pretty well constructed.  

My first thoughts are….unless I’m missing something….why are they wasting money on this project whereas there are other projects that need more attention??  Better yet….help some veterans in need with the money instead of a dumb ass bridge on a dirt road!!  And how much is this costing??  If it was really needed…might as well just close off the dirt road and spend the money elsewhere. Maybe an investigative reporter would be interested in “what are we doing here!”

IMG_1746.jpeg

IMG_1747.jpeg

IMG_1748.jpeg

IMG_1749.jpeg

IMG_1753.jpeg

IMG_0579.jpeg

I

53 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

My first thoughts are….unless I’m missing something….why are they wasting money on this project whereas there are other projects that need more attention??  Better yet….help some veterans in need with the money instead of a dumb ass bridge on a dirt road!!  And how much is this costing??

Agreed, but it could be worse, they could of pissed it away on this mess:down: I'm claiming 6 million dependents this year on my tax return:up:

A large group of migrants walking

13 minutes ago, JD48 said:

Just another feel good project, Hey! look what we are doing, need more funds.

Or a big payoff to whichever company got the bid. Drove by yesterday and saw some workers sitting in their trucks on their phones at 10 AM….maybe their coffee break. Lol

I used to do volunteer work at the NJ Forest Resource Education Center many years ago. The bridge is a vital part of the center as it connects the main building and offices with the sawmill and fields and pond where other things are going on.   

Many schools bring children there on day trips as they have very good programs on forestry and streams and how they interact with animal life . The stream at that point  is near the start of the headwaters of the Toms River .

If you have young children and are looking for a day out you can just pop in and visit the main building which has lots of exhibits, and outdoor interactive kiosk that my former Trout Unlimited Chapter donated and walk the many trails and stream paths.

NJ used to stock the Toms River with trout off that bridge for all the years I can remember.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, RPK0620 said:

I used to do volunteer work at the NJ Forest Resource Education Center many years ago. The bridge is a vital part of the center as it connects the main building and offices with the sawmill and fields and pond where other things are going on.   

Many schools bring children there on day trips as they have very good programs on forestry and streams and how they interact with animal life . The stream at that point  is near the start of the headwaters of the Toms River .

If you have young children and are looking for a day out you can just pop in and visit the main building which has lots of exhibits, and outdoor interactive kiosk that my former Trout Unlimited Chapter donated and walk the many trails and stream paths.

NJ used to stock the Toms River with trout off that bridge for all the years I can remember.

Trout unlimited used to float stock too 

Caught many there  yellow rooster tail

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

36 minutes ago, RPK0620 said:

Gotchya!  Good point!  I saw some school buses w kids getting dropped off at education center. But I still think the old bridge was operational as it was. School buses use the Bowman Rd entrance for the education center. 

2 hours ago, Bonefreak said:

Gotchya!  Good point!  I saw some school buses w kids getting dropped off at education center. But I still think the old bridge was operational as it was. School buses use the Bowman Rd entrance for the education center. 

Sometimes those school busses come in over the bridge and when they have events there and hay rides they have tractors towing trailers loaded with adults and children back and forth to events soon both sides of the bridge.

Check t out:   https://www.nj.gov/dep/parksandforests/forest/education/frec.html

39 minutes ago, RPK0620 said:

Sometimes those school busses come in over the bridge and when they have events there and hay rides they have tractors towing trailers loaded with adults and children back and forth to events soon both sides of the bridge.

Check t out:   https://www.nj.gov/dep/parksandforests/forest/education/frec.html

Cool!  Sounds like fun!!  And I’m sure the Forestry Center does a great job with the kids!!  But $2.6 million bucks is a lot of tax dollars for hay rides n tractors!

I agree its and exorbitant amount of money however I'd rather see it spent on something like this where there is maybe  some educational benefit,  a permanent structure that will be around a while rather than on some of the pet pork projects our tax dollars are spent on that have no tangible results but many pockets get lined. 

39 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

The amount of money given to Ukraine could rebuild all our bridges .

Probably. That'd be excellent for Russian tanks. And, symbolically, for Xi's tanks in Taiwan or simply to embolden him to pour more concrete in Philippines' reefs like during the last US pres administration

Just imagine, Dan, what all the aid to Israel that dwarfs Ukraine teacup $$ could do back home!

But most of all, read history by books or eve watch History Channel  and see what US isolationism and know-nothing policy did in terms of world wars