IGNORED

More political weaponization of federal agencies …WV trout n Groundhog Day

I’m going to take a 180 degree difference of opinion here. I need to first state that I am directly involved in this fight through Native Fish Coalition working closely with our WV state board. That state has a horrific legacy of continuing to introduce non native brown and rainbow trout over wild, native brook trout streams. They learned nothing over the last 150 years.   States other than WV are now enlightened and no longer introduce non natives over natives, cold water or warm water. The single reason our (US) fisheries are totally screwed up is because man introduced non natives over natives without considering the ramifications. 

57662096844__205EBAA0-8F68-4D52-BC9D-82E77F594C34.jpeg

Here’s the endangered candy darter. If that fish doesn’t deserve our protection, what fish does?  They live in WV and VA and our state boards work together under my leadership and two above me to protect these fish as well as brook trout in their states. 

IMG_8066.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2024 at 7:22 AM, Bucksnbows said:

I’m going to take a 180 degree difference of opinion here. I need to first state that I am directly involved in this fight through Native Fish Coalition working closely with our WV state board. That state has a horrific legacy of continuing to introduce non native brown and rainbow trout over wild, native brook trout streams. They learned nothing over the last 150 years.   States other than WV are now enlightened and no longer introduce non natives over natives, cold water or warm water. The single reason our (US) fisheries are totally screwed up is because man introduced non natives over natives without considering the ramifications. 

57662096844__205EBAA0-8F68-4D52-BC9D-82E77F594C34.jpeg

Hey pal. Totally understand the cons of introducing non natives in fisheries, but here’s an interesting article on largemouth bass in the NE. 

https://www.onthewater.com/the-history-of-largemouth-bass-in-the-northeast

3 hours ago, Bonefreak said:

Hey pal. Totally understand the cons of introducing non natives in fisheries, but here’s an interesting article on largemouth bass in the NE. 

https://www.onthewater.com/the-history-of-largemouth-bass-in-the-northeast

He’s just touting the fun of fishing for them. No mention of any native fish impacted by their widespread introduction. Here in NJ, the banded sunfish is state endangered because of non native largemouth and bluegill. Man has made an absolute disaster for native fish by employing bucket biology. Many anglers are very happy about that and some are not. It’s not going to change in our lifetimes.  And I’m not just talking about bass of course. 

8 hours ago, GetOutdoors said:

NJ didnt get that message.

Actually, they did and long ago. NJ is held up by other states as doing a lot for their native fish species. We have the best protections for native brook trout of any of the 17 states where that species is native as one example. 

11 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Bunch of granola, eating nut cases.  Same people who think humans are causing global warming.

Some days I think my gas causes global warming. 

I am the Lorax - I speak for the trees. 

21 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

Actually, they did and long ago. NJ is held up by other states as doing a lot for their native fish species. We have the best protections for native brook trout of any of the 17 states where that species is native as one example. 

Every year NJ stocks enormous numbers of rainbow trout, lmb, bluegills, and channel catfish.   Musky and tiger musky are also stocked.  

None of these are native species.  

What is the status of our brook trout restocking program?   I may be wrong, but wasnt it scuttled following the fungal outbreak close to a decade ago?  I do believe that rainbow trout are the only trout restocks in NJ.  

2 minutes ago, GetOutdoors said:

Every year NJ stocks enormous numbers of rainbow trout, lmb, bluegills, and channel catfish.   Musky and tiger musky are also stocked.  

None of these are native species.  

What is the status of our brook trout restocking program?   I may be wrong, but wasnt it scuttled following the fungal outbreak close to a decade ago?  I do believe that rainbow trout are the only trout restocks in NJ.  

^ my sole point is that NJ fisheries are managed almost entirely for anglers and therefore as a resource to be monetized.    shad,  pickerel ,  bullheads, and pumpkinseeds just wouldnt have the draw as lmb, rainbow trout, bluegills etc.  

There's been little to no effort at reverting NJ to its native species structure.  is what it is, and  too late anyway imo.   Cats out of the bag.  "We" certainly havent helped matters though.  

It's important also to understand that Jim Justice is the ultimate populist shyster--he's up in arms not only with fish, but  about ground hog day. But not the hundreds of millions $ he redirected to buying votes and supporting his hospitality empire after he  ripped off banks he won't pay and that know they can't seize his assets because they can't manage WVA cold mines.