IGNORED

Home Heating Oil Leak Advice

Hunter115522

My parents house had an underground oil tank that had to be removed. The tank had a “leak” which is judged by the company taking the tank out. It needs to be cleaned and have an environmental inspection. All in all in was cost of the tank removal plus $10,000 all said and done. That’s “remediation” and the environmental seal of approval. Total freaking scam. The “leak” was smaller than a dime and on top of the tank. I highly doubt there was anything leaking. Couldn’t tell for sure by looking at the dirt. But the company isn’t gunna pass up a payday, even if you use a different company for remediation. 

Just now, Jcol6268 said:

My parents house had an underground oil tank that had to be removed. The tank had a “leak” which is judged by the company taking the tank out. It needs to be cleaned and have an environmental inspection. All in all in was cost of the tank removal plus $10,000 all said and done. That’s “remediation” and the environmental seal of approval. Total freaking scam. The “leak” was smaller than a dime and on top of the tank. I highly doubt there was anything leaking. Couldn’t tell for sure by looking at the dirt. But the company isn’t gunna pass up a payday, even if you use a different company for remediation. 

Yeah that sounds like some BS for sure. My situation is different. I confirmed that the take is definitely leaking. And must have been for some years now. Trying to decide if it's worth buying the house and fixing the situation or if walking away is wiser. 

4 minutes ago, Hunter115522 said:

Yeah that sounds like some BS for sure. My situation is different. I confirmed that the take is definitely leaking. And must have been for some years now. Trying to decide if it's worth buying the house and fixing the situation or if walking away is wiser. 

Seller is responsible for the repair . 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

1 minute ago, Hunter115522 said:

I’ve heard horror stories and to be honest, the process took forever. Luckily they weren’t selling their house, just switching to natural gas. Personally, if there was a legit leak, and I wanted to buy that house, and wanted to close any time soon, I would back out. My guess is that they won’t be able to remediate any time soon. That was one thing we went through. Even though the tank is way below the frost line, for whatever reason they wouldn’t do remediation until weather was warmer (it was years ago, I dont recall why). Then getting the testing done and results back from a lab, took awhile. Just know it’s not a fast process. 

1 minute ago, Jcol6268 said:

I’ve heard horror stories and to be honest, the process took forever. Luckily they weren’t selling their house, just switching to natural gas. Personally, if there was a legit leak, and I wanted to buy that house, and wanted to close any time soon, I would back out. My guess is that they won’t be able to remediate any time soon. That was one thing we went through. Even though the tank is way below the frost line, for whatever reason they wouldn’t do remediation until weather was warmer (it was years ago, I dont recall why). Then getting the testing done and results back from a lab, took awhile. Just know it’s not a fast process. 

Yeah I think I have to walk away. This leak is directly under the house. Could have contaminated water supply, we really like the home but I don't think it's worth the hassle. Especially considering what they're asking for it. 

Had a "leaking" tank replaced about 15 years ago at my house in Lopatcong.  We went thru a state grant at the time.  Our only expense was the application for the grant ($250) and of course the job wasn't done in the year and we had to reapply.  Total cost for me was $500 but the bill was in excess of 35K in the end.  Remove tank, remove soil, test it all, find out if it hit water table, etc.  I would recommend walking unless you want to add that expense to the house cost.  Best of luck

2 minutes ago, Tuck said:

Had a "leaking" tank replaced about 15 years ago at my house in Lopatcong.  We went thru a state grant at the time.  Our only expense was the application for the grant ($250) and of course the job wasn't done in the year and we had to reapply.  Total cost for me was $500 but the bill was in excess of 35K in the end.  Remove tank, remove soil, test it all, find out if it hit water table, etc.  I would recommend walking unless you want to add that expense to the house cost.  Best of luck

Appreciate it! Walking away seems like the strong favorite at this point. 

1 hour ago, hammer4reel said:

Seller is responsible for the repair . 

Have you bought a house lately? In most sales, seller is not responsible for anything. Buyer has to waive all inspections (including structural) and bid $30k-$70k over listing price.