IGNORED

1/17 Check In

Greybeard

2 hours ago, Greybeard said:

Hit one. Not much blood. Just got back to truck. Found bed. Going back in a few with big light and son to see if we can spot him. May have to come back in the morning if it's not down a little farther.

Any luck?

Here's the story so far.  Had a bunch of deer come over the hill from behind me around 4:45.  I could only see bodies as they passed through the trees about 75yds away to my right.  They were all headed over the ridge and disappeared down the other side of the ridge except for a spike and doe that came in front of me.  Then another doe and spike came back with a four point following.  i was looking at the 4 point for brows through the scope when I seen the bigger buck appear behind it.  Couldn't get a shot as it chased one of the doe back into the thick stuff on the other side of the ridge.  It stood there in the thick stuff until 5:15 when it finally came back and gave me a 20+ yd shot.  Might have hugged the shoulder too much and only got one lung.  Tracked him for a while then went back to the truck to lighten up and give it more time while waiting for my son. 

Picked up the trail again.  It kept laying down every 80-100yds.  Just sprits of blood mostly off to the side.  Caught up to him after about a half mile. He had been dragging his feet and bleeding good where he laid down.  Probably filling with blood inside.  He still wasn't done and got back up after watching us for 5 minutes.  Left the crossbow in the truck. Didn't want to be walking around in the pitch dark with it after hunting hours.  We pushed him down into thick stuff between two trails and closer to another parking lot where it will be an easier drag by myself in the morning.  Decided to call it quits at 8:00 before pushing him out onto private land.  He was dragging his feet again and probably will be close to where we left him.  I'll have the crossbow ready in the morning if he's still alive.

20240117_1859391.thumb.jpg.1b8481c0c7de88a3215a64d5c4376447.jpg

1 minute ago, nmc02 said:

Hopefully the meat doesn't spoil tonight...think it will be cool enough??

Cavity stays hot/warm a long time even when it's this cold.  Bloat from bacteria could taint it but I don't think I could have hit guts, unless the arrow did it's own thing, so it may be good.  Best would be if it's still alive and I can get close enough for another shot

7 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Cavity stays hot/warm a long time even when it's this cold.  Bloat from bacteria could taint it but I don't think I could have hit guts, unless the arrow did it's own thing, so it may be good.  Best would be if it's still alive and I can get close enough for another shot

It will be perfect, live or dead! Just busting chops!

27 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

It will be perfect, live or dead! Just busting chops!

I've recovered deer in the morning that were gut shot the night before when it was in the single digits.  They were still warm inside in the morning.   I slice into the hind quarter and stick my nose in the meat.  If it smells like septic I won't like the taste.  Deer can go a mile or more with bacteria from the stomach pumping through the bloodstream.  I hope it's ok and the yotes don't eat it.  I don't like backing out at night but it was getting too close to private land. Measured it as haven gone 3,500ft where we left off.

7 hours ago, Greybeard said:

I've recovered deer in the morning that were gut shot the night before when it was in the single digits.  They were still warm inside in the morning.   I slice into the hind quarter and stick my nose in the meat.  If it smells like septic I won't like the taste.  Deer can go a mile or more with bacteria from the stomach pumping through the bloodstream.  I hope it's ok and the yotes don't eat it.  I don't like backing out at night but it was getting too close to private land. Measured it as haven gone 3,500ft where we left off.

Good luck Beard.