IGNORED

First Opening morning with a Muzzy and have a question?

Farmingdales Finest

Tomorrow I will be going out for 6 day for the first time in over 30 years and for the first time with an inline muzzy.

I will be in a county park and normally snap two caps and then load my pellets and the sabot. I highly doubt I will be allowed to shoot the caps at the truck.

Should I just swab the barrel tonight with alcohol to get the oil out of my barrel and possibly do the same with the breach plug and then in the morning load and go? Or should I get to my stand and snap the cap and load?

Elite Pure, CBE Tek Hybrid, 10" B-Stinger stabilizer, Limbdriver rest , Alpine Soft Loc 5 Quiver, Muzzy 100 4 bld, Slick Trick Viper Trick Red Head Gator broadheads, Beman ICS Hunter 400 28" ,Scott Quick Shot release, Vortex 8.5X50 Vultures  :cheers:

6 minutes ago, BHC said:

I never snapped a cap, I know my gun is clean and dry...take the breech plug out, look through it pointed up at a light if you see the light clear your good

I was just following the instructions in the owners manual and thank you because I thought I was overthinking this. As the saying goes you don't know what you don't know.

Elite Pure, CBE Tek Hybrid, 10" B-Stinger stabilizer, Limbdriver rest , Alpine Soft Loc 5 Quiver, Muzzy 100 4 bld, Slick Trick Viper Trick Red Head Gator broadheads, Beman ICS Hunter 400 28" ,Scott Quick Shot release, Vortex 8.5X50 Vultures  :cheers:

The way I would do it swab barrel make sure no oil .snap one cap outside my house or in garage. remove cap . I would load . Just dont put cap on until you are in your spot.  You can leave loaded no cap all season . NO CAP . I leave a note or rod in as a reminder its loaded/ 

Edited by electricstart

I snap the cap and load the pellets and bullet the night before... I put the primer in when I get into the stand.

This was the first time I went out with an inline. I went out the first two mornings of muzzy season - come my afternoon hunt of that 2nd day, I still had lingering doubts in the back of my head, "Will this thing still fire after sitting loaded for 2 days out in the field?" I was pretty sure it would, but my paranoia kept me doubting. In the end, no problems - it barked when I pulled the trigger :) 

3 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I snap the cap and load the pellets and bullet the night before... I put the primer in when I get into the stand.

This was the first time I went out with an inline. I went out the first two mornings of muzzy season - come my afternoon hunt of that 2nd day, I still had lingering doubts in the back of my head, "Will this thing still fire after sitting loaded for 2 days out in the field?" I was pretty sure it would, but my paranoia kept me doubting. In the end, no problems - it barked when I pulled the trigger :) 

This made me think would it be a good idea to pull the pellets out and leave the bullet if I don't shoot one tomorrow? Then put the two pellets in the next day from the breach?

Edited by Farmingdales Finest

Oh.. one other thing if you don't pull the trigger... do NOT forget to take the primer out when you are done hunting (before you get out of the tree stand, if you are up in a tree). That's one other thing to remember when muzzy hunting - take the primer out, at least before you get into the truck when going home. But that's no different with, say, a slug gun - you empty the chamber and magazine of shells, or remove the primer if muzzy. It's just a little different if you've never hunted with a muzzy before, just something to remember.

First off make sure you mark your ramrod with it loaded.  That way before you snap a cap put your ramrod down the barrel to make sure it’s not loaded .  Snap a cap tonight in your garage , load her up and you’re good to go . 

5 minutes ago, Farmingdales Finest said:

This made me think would it be a good idea to pull the pellets out and leave the bullet if I don't shoot one tomorrow?

No 

1 minute ago, Russ 11 said:

First off make sure you mark your ramrod with it loaded.  That way before you snap a cap put your ramrod down the barrel to make sure it’s not loaded .  Snap a cap tonight in your garage , load her up and you’re good to go . 

No 

I have my range rod wrapped with tape. I tried to do the same with my guns ramrod and it wouldn't fit back on the barrel. I marked the barrel with a knife. 

1 minute ago, electricstart said:

If it's raining or wet out I put a piece of black tape over end.

Someone on here recommended this to me a few months ago, and this is what I did - buy some finger cots (cheap on Amazon) and use them over the muzzle of the barrel - keeps not only rain out (if its raining) but keeps debris out if you put the gun down on the ground or lean it on a tree with loose bark.

I know its too late for now but... keep that in mind. Using electrical tape is fine too. I just didn't want to risk leaving tape glue residue on the barrel. It's easy to put the finger cots on and off too without tape glue wearing out and not sticking anymore.

These, for example: https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Fingertips-Protective-Electronic-Industrial/dp/B0BV6B3D4N/ref=sr_1_1_sspa