IGNORED

Coyote and fox hunting

Turkeyslayer

So i’m an avid hunter and trapper but I have never seriously went predator hunting. I have went out 5 times and shot a total of 2 coyotes and a fox not sure if that’s good or not. But I wanted to know for the guys who really are seriously into it what do you guys recommend for equipment and what’s your guys advice also what rifle caliber do you recommend?

Ideally a .243 for the rifle, plus side is you can also deer hunt with it. 

For extremely fun shooting gun get a  .17 HMR      semi-auto.  Savage A17 and CCI 20-grain Game Point .17 HMR, but the killing range is NOT even close to a 243, I would guess <150 yards. 

Edited by Gman

I use a .204 for predators. But, it’s personal preference. I use a FoxPro Hammerjack caller and it’s worked great for the last three seasons. Invest in some good rechargeable battery’s or you’ll go broke buying throw-aways if you go as much as I do. I like the built in decoy on the Hammerjack. If you go on AllPredatorcallers.com they sometimes have deals on callers that they’ve used as displays at shows that have the factory warranty and are brand new, just in a plain box. I bought mine from them that way and got $100 off their normal price. They will also program it for the calls you want and remove the ones you’ll never use like aardvark and platypus calls that come on it from the factory for free. You can also buy more calls from their website and down load them yourself. You never know what a coyote wants to hear on a certain day. Dying rabbit and bird calls are the go to but, I’ve killed them using lost calf calls, baby goat calls and others. Don’t be afraid to step outside the box when calling. Try to hunt in a cross wind if possible. They almost alway circle down wind of the caller before committing and I stay out of trouble usually by hunting a crosswind. If your kill to sit ratio is that good, you’re doing way better than most. I go out every Saturday morning once the season starts and the best season I’ve had is 12 coyotes and 14 fox. Coyotes will usually run fox out of their home territory so sometimes it’s hard to find both in the same field. I hunt mostly cow pastures from the hedgerows. Hope I was a help. 

IMG_2613.png

IMG_2612.png

IMG_2580.jpeg

IMG_2530.png

IMG_1694.jpeg

63430760494__6E7E28A8-13F9-4A8F-8C2F-D1C2FDADC0C8.jpeg

28 minutes ago, 06roadking said:

I use a .204 for predators. But, it’s personal preference. I use a FoxPro Hammerjack caller and it’s worked great for the last three seasons. Invest in some good rechargeable battery’s or you’ll go broke buying throw-aways if you go as much as I do. I like the built in decoy on the Hammerjack. If you go on AllPredatorcallers.com they sometimes have deals on callers that they’ve used as displays at shows that have the factory warranty and are brand new, just in a plain box. I bought mine from them that way and got $100 off their normal price. They will also program it for the calls you want and remove the ones you’ll never use like aardvark and platypus calls that come on it from the factory for free. You can also buy more calls from their website and down load them yourself. You never know what a coyote wants to hear on a certain day. Dying rabbit and bird calls are the go to but, I’ve killed them using lost calf calls, baby goat calls and others. Don’t be afraid to step outside the box when calling. Try to hunt in a cross wind if possible. They almost alway circle down wind of the caller before committing and I stay out of trouble usually by hunting a crosswind. If your kill to sit ratio is that good, you’re doing way better than most. I go out every Saturday morning once the season starts and the best season I’ve had is 12 coyotes and 14 fox. Coyotes will usually run fox out of their home territory so sometimes it’s hard to find both in the same field. I hunt mostly cow pastures from the hedgerows. Hope I was a help. 

IMG_2613.png

IMG_2612.png

IMG_2580.jpeg

IMG_2530.png

IMG_1694.jpeg

63430760494__6E7E28A8-13F9-4A8F-8C2F-D1C2FDADC0C8.jpeg

Nice going

1 hour ago, Otter said:

I use a 22-250, handload 55 grain Nosler ballistic tips. Great bullet. Killed plenty of deer with that load and 5 Antelope also.  Does not create a big entrance hole.  Pelts are worth much anyway.  Great fun enjoy and good luck !

Try the 36 grain varmint grenade for predator you barley notice a hole

I have killed fox and a coyote with the .17hmr. 

Once the coyotes showed up in bigger numbers i went to the .204 Ruger. 

The .17hmr is just limited on coyote. 

i have seen a lot of damage on red fox from the 22-250. Total waste of the pelt, if you are putting them up. We have a decent number of grey fox here. They also wouldn't handle the 22-250 well. 

I am happy with the .204

United Bowhunters of New Jersey

New Jersey Fur Harvester
New Jersey Trappers Association
National Trappers Association