IGNORED

220 sight-in

Michael Britt

No problems before today?  Did you do anything recent like disassembling to clean?  If not, pull the bolt, break it down, give it a good clean, and try again.  Do not fiddle with the firing pin as you may change its depth inadvertently.

Images always help.  Have you any of the light strikes?  Also, did you try a second shot on the light strikes? 

In any case, get a caliper and using the depth blade check the primer seating depths.  Rank the shells from shallowest to deepest. Record the depth on paper and number the corresponding shell.  Go back to the range and see if you can determine a depth at which they stop firing. 

A quick interwebs search shows normal factory seating depths range from 3/1000" to 5/1000".  I usually set my rifle primers to 7/1000"; with a good strike.

Usually, I would  try the ammo in another firearm and/or try different ammo in the 220.  However, that may not be feasible with slugs. 

If the problem persists, adjust the pin incrementally.   I have a Savage bolt that is pretty easy to adjust.  

Try dry firing.  Does everything "sound" good. I had a similar problem recently with a rifle that was not firing and you could literally hear the difference in the "click."

If you reload, you can always put some primers in an old hull to get a nice strike as you adjust the pin.

33 minutes ago, username said:

No problems before today?  Did you do anything recent like disassembling to clean?  If not, pull the bolt, break it down, give it a good clean, and try again.  Do not fiddle with the firing pin as you may change its depth inadvertently.

Images always help.  Have you any of the light strikes?  Also, did you try a second shot on the light strikes? 

In any case, get a caliper and using the depth blade check the primer seating depths.  Rank the shells from shallowest to deepest. Record the depth on paper and number the corresponding shell.  Go back to the range and see if you can determine a depth at which they stop firing. 

A quick interwebs search shows normal factory seating depths range from 3/1000" to 5/1000".  I usually set my rifle primers to 7/1000"; with a good strike.

Usually, I would  try the ammo in another firearm and/or try different ammo in the 220.  However, that may not be feasible with slugs. 

If the problem persists, adjust the pin incrementally.   I have a Savage bolt that is pretty easy to adjust.  

Try dry firing.  Does everything "sound" good. I had a similar problem recently with a rifle that was not firing and you could literally hear the difference in the "click."

If you reload, you can always put some primers in an old hull to get a nice strike as you adjust the pin.

I just read the user manual again. Apparently the Accutrigger has some weird safety mechanism where the sear will be blocked, you will hear a click but the firing pin will not strike the primer. This is if the trigger is not pulled perfectly rearward. Maybe I developed a bad habit today? Only time will tell...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sako76 said:

Did you leave the bolt cocked from last year?

Great question. Another suggestion....when you pull a bolt action back, squeeze trigger prior & while closing bolt. This will prevent dry firing and firing pin spring from being compressed.

Spoke to Savage today. They said they would fix gun under warranty but I have to mail the entire gun to them.

OR 

I can have a local gunsmith fix and they will send him parts under warranty.

Would you pay postage and risk mailing out your gun in this woke world OR pay a local guy labor and have much better turnaround time especially considering it's hunting season?

Seems like a no-brainer...