IGNORED

Interested in rifle hunting…have some questions

Ringtail

I am looking to start doing some rifle hunting out of state. I would like to start hunting whitetails and pronghorn, and possibly down the line mule deer and elk. This may be the opposite of what you typically hear, but gun hunting is way out of my comfort zone. I pretty much exclusively bow hunt. I’ve killed a few does with a pump shotgun but that’s it everything else was a bow kill. So I have a few questions because I’m not exactly sure where to start: 

1. Are there any ranges in NJ where you can legally shoot a rifle to sight it in?  I usually go to colliers mills, but I believe that it shotgun and muzzy only. 

2. For the guys with experience hunting with a rifle, how do you normally hunt? Is it mostly spot and stalk? What are typical shot distances? What is the max distance you’d shoot at an animal? 

3. I’ve done some research for the past few months and think a .308 would be best for my needs. I will be going out to the Oaks PA gun show on Friday looking to make a purchase. Any brand suggestions? 

Any other insight would be greatly appreciated. 

Great choice of caliber. First question to ask yourself is do you want a bolt, a semi, or a lever gun ?

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

I'm in the same boat about wanting to do some rifle hunts. I did a bunch of research and decided on a 308 also .. brand: Tikka... You can go more expensive, or you can go much cheaper... Tikka was a good middle ground. So it depends on your budget. My budget was under 2000 (including scope)... I think I paid about 1,700 for the Tikka, scope, and rings.

Edited by mazzgolf

6 minutes ago, Bucndoe said:

Great choice of caliber. First question to ask yourself is do you want a bolt, a semi, or a lever gun ?

I know that I don’t want a lever, which would leave either bolt or semi. Are there any pros/cons to picking one over the other?

5 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I'm in the same boat about wanting to do some rifle hunts. I did a bunch of research and decided on a 308 also .. brand: Tikka... You can go more expensive, or you can go much cheaper... Tikka was a good middle ground. So it depends on your budget. My budget was under 2000 (including scope)... I think I paid about 1,700 for the Tikka, scope, and rings.

I was at a gun show in the spring and was looking at a Tikka 308. Beautiful gun. Have you shot yours yet to get any feedback on how you like it? 

3 minutes ago, Ringtail said:

I know that I don’t want a lever, which would leave either bolt or semi. Are there any pros/cons to picking one over the other?

Personal choice but you have more choices with a bolt action 

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Just now, Ringtail said:

Don't some states prohibit semi autos?

2 minutes ago, Ringtail said:

I was at a gun show in the spring and was looking at a Tikka 308. Beautiful gun. Have you shot yours yet to get any feedback on how you like it? 

Love it. Yeah, shot it alot... Getting MOA accuracy after all was said and done. Shot a lot of different ammo.

I zero at 100.

Buy a bunch of different ammo to test with. That will get expensive, but you'll be surprised the difference in accuracy between loads and brands.

I did a lot of research on this too. You have to consider things like cost, bullet weight, bullet material, etc. And it depends on what you want to hunt. For me, I was concentrating on anything that will take whitetail up to elk. I don't think I'll ever go out for moose or things bigger like African game.

What I ended up with was the Barnes 150 grain all copper Vor-TX: https://www.barnesbullets.com/product/vor-tx-rifle/

It's one of the more expensive loads. Typically over $50 a box. But my gun loves them, very accurate. So I'll deal with the cost. It's not as widely available as some other brands. That's why I came up with my plan B alternate ... That will be 168 gr Remington Core Lockt Tipped. Much cheaper, my gun shoots them pretty well too, and usually you'll be able to find these anywhere. Two reasons why that won't be my main ammo is the Barnes were more accurate and the Remington has a lead core. I would prefer to not use lead. I like the idea of an all copper bullet - no lead fragments contaminating the meat and the bullet retains more mass compared to a lead bullet. Plus, I'm worried some states are going to move to prohibit lead ammo so I figure go to all copper now and not worry about it.

Here's my original post when I got the gun home with the details:

Don't go to a gun show expecting to make a purchase. If you are headed to oaks go to Tanners in Jamison.

Also, many more states allow hunting with lever or bolt. You are not allowed to use semi auto in PA.. (FUDDS).

Spend money on glass as much as you spend on the gun.

As far as areas to hunt it all depends on terrain.

Example: when I hunted public land in PA most of my shots were between 150 and in.

Now that I hunt private some areas have 300 yard shots.

Practice with whatever caliber you decide. I use 30 06, 7mm rem mag, and 35 rem.

Edited by thefirstndsecond

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

37 minutes ago, Ringtail said:

Thanks. Would 100 yards be adequate for a rifle sight in? Or should I find a range where I can shoot greater distances?

I sight in for a 0 at 200. That gives me plenty of room for close and far shots. 

You will mainly shoot at 100 but should practice once you get all set up with the ammo you tested and shoot at different distances. 

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

I would not buy at oaks unless i had a specific gun and price in mind. The prices are not generally going to be the best. The days of super bargains at the shows are gone. Go and handle a few different guns to see how they fit and feel to you but do a bunch of research before a final decision. 

As a first and possibly only rifle I would suggest something synthetic and stainless. It may not be the prettiest but will serve you well in any weather. I would also suggest a first gun be a bolt action as they are generally the most reliable and easiest to use and maintain with the least moving parts.

Ten years ago I would have said a 30-06 all day every day as a first gun but the ammo shortages showed that 308 was the more readily available caliber on a much more consistent basis. The 308 ammo was also cheaper during the shortages and still is cheaper if you shop around. For those reasons 308 would be my  #1 suggestion. 

Just remember 7.62x51mm ammo can not be fired safely out of a 308 gun. Just like 556 can't be fired safely from a 223 gun. 

As a disclaimer I love lever guns and odd calibers. I have killed deer with 300 win, 7mm Rem and 308 as well as my lever guns, the deer don't know the difference.