IGNORED

Blackhorn 209 .... better buy now

nmc02

Just now, nmc02 said:

Buy from them directly, as I posted the website. It is $375 for four containers....enough for several years. 

How few shots are you taking a year? 2 pounds of powder at least with what I have read sounds like about 200 shots. Maybe a few more. But clearly I am no expert just going by what I have read.

Elite Pure, CBE Tek Hybrid, 10" B-Stinger stabilizer, Limbdriver rest , Alpine Soft Loc 5 Quiver, Muzzy 100 4 bld, Slick Trick Viper Trick Red Head Gator broadheads, Beman ICS Hunter 400 28" ,Scott Quick Shot release, Vortex 8.5X50 Vultures  :cheers:

7 minutes ago, Farmingdales Finest said:

How few shots are you taking a year? 2 pounds of powder at least with what I have read sounds like about 200 shots. Maybe a few more. But clearly I am no expert just going by what I have read.

I never figured it out exactly, but 4 containers should last 10 years plus, UNLESS you are shooting tons. Figure 10-20 shots to sight in initially, 1 or 2 shots each Fall to make sure it's on, & 1 - 4 shots at game a year.....at that rate, last forever. 

In my opinion, far superior to any pellets, but you pay a premium for it.

10 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

I never figured it out exactly, but 4 containers should last 10 years plus, UNLESS you are shooting tons. Figure 10-20 shots to sight in initially, 1 or 2 shots each Fall to make sure it's on, & 1 - 4 shots at game a year.....at that rate, last forever. 

In my opinion, far superior to any pellets, but you pay a premium for it.

Unless they stop making it…. I’ll pay whatever they want for it… when I first switched to it from 777 I shot 45 shots before cleaning and it stayed accurate to sub 1” at 150. I only shot that many shots because I didn’t believe my buddy that it was possible. To be able to get a custom load and it being that clean I could never go back. When I sighted in I shot 3 shot groups at 5 grain increments from 80-120 finding that my gun liked 95 grains the best. If I were to have done that with 777 loose powder I’d of run out of cleaning patches. Definitely far superior sir! 

1 minute ago, FDhunt1213 said:

Unless they stop making it…. I’ll pay whatever they want for it… when I first switched to it from 777 I shot 45 shots before cleaning and it stayed accurate to sub 1” at 150. I only shot that many shots because I didn’t believe my buddy that it was possible. To be able to get a custom load and it being that clean I could never go back. When I sighted in I shot 3 shot groups at 5 grain increments from 80-120 finding that my gun liked 95 grains the best. If I were to have done that with 777 loose powder I’d of run out of cleaning patches. Definitely far superior sir! 

That’s the best part about 209. You can go to the rang, take 20 shots and never had an issue with pushing a round down the barrel without cleaning it

1 hour ago, Farmingdales Finest said:

I won an CVA Optima and pick it up later this week from Cheyenne.  I have been exclusively a bowhunter since 1992.  

I ordered a Burris Fullfield 3-9X40 scope that came in today. Based upon my research I had it narrowed down to either 209 powder or 777 powder but then I keep reading about shortages.  Where is everyone getting their powder and sabots? Will I be able to get what I need at Cheyenne

You should be able to get what you need at Cheyenne... can't say about their stock now, but they had plenty over the summer when I was there and buying stuff for my Optima.

Good luck with yours - I spent a lot of time at the range figuring out what the best load is for mine. For the record, mine shoots excellent with 777 pellets and primers with Hornady BoreDriver 290gr bullets. 777 pellets were better than White Hots (contrary to what I read, White Hots were as dirty, if not dirtier, than 777 pellets). I didn't see much difference with 777 powder vs. 777 pellets, but I was getting such good accuracy with the pellets I didn't bother to do much experimenting with different loads of powder. Almost a full tub of powder is sitting in my safe and I'll probably never use it (except to play on the range).

BTW: when I say Cheyenne should have what you need - I was talking about bullets and 777 pellets and primers... they didn't have BH209. Good luck finding that stuff :) Yeah, you could pay several hundred dollars to buy direct. The only major benefit to BH209 over the rest seems to be that you don't have to clean the barrel as often (using 777 pellets I have to run a few patches down after every shot!). But now that I'm dialed in, I don't expect to shoot more than a couple shots a year, so I'm good with 777 pellets now; cleaning the barrel won't be an issue much anymore for me.

Note - if you DO want to go with BH209, make sure you buy the special breech plug for it. You can't use the breech plug that comes with the gun. So add another $50 :)https://muzzle-loaders.com/products/cvar-blackhorntm-breech-plug-209-primer 

3 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

BTW: when I say Cheyenne should have what you need - I was talking about bullets and 777 pellets and primers... they didn't have BH209. Good luck finding that stuff :) Yeah, you could pay several hundred dollars to buy direct. The only major benefit to BH209 over the rest seems to be that you don't have to clean the barrel as often (using 777 pellets I have to run a few patches down after every shot!). But now that I'm dialed in, I don't expect to shoot more than a couple shots a year, so I'm good with 777 pellets now; cleaning the barrel won't be an issue much anymore for me.

Note - if you DO want to go with BH209, make sure you buy the special breech plug for it. You can't use the breech plug that comes with the gun. So add another $50 :)https://muzzle-loaders.com/products/cvar-blackhorntm-breech-plug-209-primer 

I just drilled my breech plug out to the required size 

6 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I am aware of the 209 breech plug for actually all loose powders apparently.  It would be nice to have CVA include this when you buy the rifle. If they have to increase the price 20-30 who cares just makes it much easier for all.

Elite Pure, CBE Tek Hybrid, 10" B-Stinger stabilizer, Limbdriver rest , Alpine Soft Loc 5 Quiver, Muzzy 100 4 bld, Slick Trick Viper Trick Red Head Gator broadheads, Beman ICS Hunter 400 28" ,Scott Quick Shot release, Vortex 8.5X50 Vultures  :cheers:

At the prices 209 has shot up to, I will use up my stash of an unopened and partial 10oz containers of it then go back to the mostly full bottle of 777.

I do a confirm zero shot every year and unload after each day. Current 10oz partial bottle has lasted years.

Edited by Greg

8 hours ago, Greg said:

At the prices 209 has shot up to, I will use up my stash of an unopened and partial 10oz containers of it then go back to the mostly full bottle of 777.

I do a confirm zero shot every year and unload after each day. Current 10oz partial bottle has lasted years.

So why bother going back....

9 hours ago, Greg said:

Why unload at end of each hunt.  That us an unnecessary waste