IGNORED

Clam Rake Question

SoxFan

Looking for some direction. I am joining Ms. Grit on her Bad Mother Shuckers clamming trip next month. I have never been before. Anyone have a used clam rake they are looking to get rid of or sell? Most places I see online are selling them new for $75-$100. I don't want to make that kind of investment on what could be a one-and-done venture. I am located in the Howell/Freehold/Jackson area. 

Any help or cost-effective ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!

I have 2 “Killer Clam Rakes” I bought directly from their website. I bought just the basket portion from the site and the handle separately which helps save money. The knife shape blades drastically reduce the amount of drag when pulling through the mud and sand which helps conserve your energy. Grumpies Tackle also carries the rakes and they’re conveniently located before the park entrance. 

Edited by CapeCod

13 hours ago, SoxFan said:

Looking for some direction. I am joining Ms. Grit on her Bad Mother Shuckers clamming trip next month. I have never been before. Anyone have a used clam rake they are looking to get rid of or sell? Most places I see online are selling them new for $75-$100. I don't want to make that kind of investment on what could be a one-and-done venture. I am located in the Howell/Freehold/Jackson area. 

Any help or cost-effective ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!

I have a rake I can loan you for the day. It’s not a “Killer” clam rake, but it won’t cost you anything to see if clamming is something you enjoy or not. You just need to reach out to me the night before so I know how many to bring down. I have one kayak available to loan out also, but that needs to be picked up at my house the night before as I can only transport 2 and I’m already loaning out another one that I’m transporting down along with mine.  I also have an extra floating basket for keeping clams in while you are clamming if you would like to borrow that as well. 

Edited by Ms Grit

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member

1 hour ago, Ms Grit said:

I have a rake I can loan you for the day. It’s not a “Killer” clam rake, but it won’t cost you anything to see if clamming is something you enjoy or not. You just need to reach out to me the night before so I know how many to bring down. I have one kayak available to loan out also, but that needs to be picked up at my house the night before as I can only transport 2 and I’m already loaning out another one that I’m transporting down along with mine.  I also have an extra floating basket for keeping clams in while you are clamming if you would like to borrow that as well. 

Wow, SOO very kind of you. I have my own Kayak but will 100% take you up on the rake and basket. I will PM you the night before. Again, thank you for your generous offer!!

7 minutes ago, SoxFan said:

Wow, SOO very kind of you. I have my own Kayak but will 100% take you up on the rake and basket. I will PM you the night before. Again, thank you for your generous offer!!

Just make sure you have some type of water shoes. I use the aqua socks from Amazon … usually around $10 

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member

No rake needed that’s just work! Stomp around and you’ll find plenty. You could also use a kayak paddle or a pitch fork. Just poke it around in front of you and you’ll know when you hit one. We use to wear thick hunting socks to protect our feet when stomping around but that was decades ago and things have improved!

12 minutes ago, Hitemnasty said:

We use to wear thick hunting socks to protect our feet when stomping around but that was decades ago and things have improved!

That's called clam dancing.  Put a weight belt on when you feel them just get down there and use your hands to pick them up.  Just hold your breath if your neck high.  Ps bring a clam knife and some cocktail sauce, won't get any fresher

13 hours ago, SoxFan said:

Glad your going for it you'll have a good time with Robin. Looking forward to the story and the pics

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt