IGNORED

Food for thought on opening day of firearms season tomorrow

Food for thought!

Tomorrow is the opening day for New Jersey shotgun deer and bear seasons. First and foremost, remember to always be thinking safety first before pulling the trigger on your shotgun or muzzleloader. Many times in the excitement of the hunt we forget about the cardinal rule of knowing our target and beyond. It is the beyond part that we can overlook as we are shooting at a running dear or bear. We need to remember from our hunter safety class days just how far a slug or bullet from a shotgun or muzzleloader can travel. The other thing I would like to remind everyone of it the fact that it is the hunt that is the most important thing about the day, not what you kill to show your friends. Too many of us who are avid bow hunters suddenly change how we think when we go out with the shotgun or muzzleloader in our hands. We don’t have to kill anything to have a great day in the field. Our sport is called “HUNTING, not KILLING”. It always amazes me how guys I know will pass up all kinds of smaller bucks in bow season only to shoot the first legal buck they see on opening day of firearms season? If you see a buck during firearms season that you know you would have passed up in bow season, pass him up again now!  I know many of you might say “well if I don’t shoot this deer, someone else will” which may be very true, but that buck just might make it through the season to put on 20 to 30 inches of antler next year  making him a P&Y trophy. You will never have quality bucks in your area if you feel that you must shoot the first bucks you see in firearms season.  Now I take this philosophy to the extreme as do many of my hunting buddies in that we don’t even  go out for deer in firearms season unless there is a really good target buck that we have been after all bow season that we have not been able to arrow.  In this way we don’t shoot any of the many small young bucks that we saw and passed during the bow season. The only shotgun or muzzleloader hunting that these guys do is for New Jersey black bear. Even here however I personally pass on this season optining to only hunt black bears with a bow or crossbow. Next year I along with you will get the chance to hunt black bears with a bow, crossbow, and muzzleloader in New Jersey in October which should prove to be a super good season for all of us.  I guess what I am saying here is if you let a buck walk this week you might just be saving the buck you will harvest next year. I hope everyone understands I am not trying to say I am better in anyway than anyone else on this site. I am just expressing my thoughts and beliefs about how I feel when it comes to firearms season.  I am not against firearms hunting at all; I am just suggesting that you think about what you do when you have that shotgun or muzzleloader in your hands in the coming weeks. The only one to judge a trophy that matters is YOU, not your friends! I wish everyone a good firearms season. I hope you each get the deer or bear of your dreams. Please always remember, “be safe and good hunting” Greg (aka) Highguy

Edited by Highguy

I tend to agree. There is no way I am shooting a buck I passed earlier - there is no pressure just because I paid for a license or tags. If it's about the money - it's far cheaper to go to ShopRite than it is to hunt - I don't get that mentality at all. If you feel pressure to fill a tag just because you paid for it and u are somehow "entitled" your probably should not hunt at all. If I go out at all during 6-day, it's usually with the bow. NJ can take their stupid 6 buck tags and stick them where the sun don't shine as far as I am concerned, as well as their unlimited antlerless in zones that can no longer sustain it. I would love to see two flexible buck tags per calendar year, use them when and how you like. It would surely change behavior.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Safety to everyone and good luck...man this thread is really good real good I'm in this dilemma and had this argument yesterday evening with my friend.i hunt zone 21 and 23 12 and 14 Atlantic burlington and somerset county.the southern zones have deer but we have yotes alot of land and the gun clubs which they don't kill all the deer but they kill the majority so speaking I'm realistic I'm not gonna kill a 150 200lb 130 inch buck in the pines if it's a decient 6 or 8 the rem 1100 is screaming I chose to hunt the pines tomorrow becuase I don't want to deal with the madness of north jersey during buck week I've hunted up there 5 yrs now and have witnessed disaster first hand up there it reminded me of the Anbar province.up in our properties in somerset we are granted permission becuase the deer are a nuisance and cause alot of car wrecks plus I feel with high numbers of deer it's not good esp with the heavy wjnters we have I think alot starve alot get killed by cars and alot get killed by the gun club plus other guys hunt.i don't have the mentality of shoot because someone else will but I killed one buck back in Oct 5th to be exact.i see so many deer and pass deer in every hunt.out of the 4 properties we have we killed 2 bucks and 1 doe not a dent whatsoever.yesterday afternoon he texted me and ask what am I shooting I replied anything that has a heart beat I need Aaron rodgers mojo I missed 2 deer the past 2 hunts.he insisted I let does go and just shoot a cull buck or a booner.realiatcally all them bigger bucks we seen early have disappeared I believe they're dead I'm not wasting a buck tag on a 1 yr old or 2 yr old buck that has a little rack or the rack isn't perfect being I feel the deer isn't mature so I was pumped for a doe for the freezer I'm doing my part in management he felt it was a problem and says that's next year's 3 deer.my reply was how do you know we still have 6day and permit seasons.i usually see 5 to 17 does a time.these guys don't make sense with this qdm crap it doesn't work in a uncontrolled environment

I did not pay $200+ to eat tag soup

This is a big reason why we have problems in NJ, and it starts at the top. It's not just gun hunters that feel like this; it's bowhunters with their fall bow tag, it's ML hunters with their ridiculous firearms license & rifle permit & zone permit & buck tag and it's the guys on 6-day with 2 buck tags and only 6 days to use them. It's why I think the entire structure needs to be changed to 1 or 2 buck tags that you use whenever you want, with whatever weapon season is open. If the tags don't expire, hunters will not be so quick to use them. Also, if you have to buy the second one at a price of say, $50.00, you will not be so quick to use one up on a little 4-point and then spend $50 to get another one. 

The Division and F&G Council have created this atmosphere with their strategy of milking so much money out of hunters, so hunters naturally feel they have to get their money's worth. If the leaders aren't willing to change this, we need to find a way to change the leadership. Angry mobs with pitchforks storming a F&G Council meeting and dragging them out is not off the table.  :rant:

Edited by DV1

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

This is a big reason why we have problems in NJ, and it starts at the top. It's not just gun hunters that feel like this; it's bowhunters with their fall bow tag, it's ML hunters with their ridiculous firearms license & rifle permit & zone permit & buck tag and it's the guys on 6-day with 2 buck tags and only 6 days to use them. It's why I think the entire structure needs to be changed to 1 or 2 buck tags that you use whenever you want, with whatever weapon season is open. If the tags don't expire, hunters will not be so quick to use them. Also, if you have to buy the second one at a price of say, $50.00, you will not be so quick to use one up on a little 4-point and then spend $50 to get another one. 

The Division and F&G Council have created this atmosphere with their strategy of milking so much money out of hunters, so hunters naturally feel they have to get their money's worth. If the leaders aren't willing to change this, we need to find a way to change the leadership. Angry mobs with pitchforks storming a F&G Council meeting and dragging them out is not off the table.  :rant:

he didn't say how many deer he's killed though this year.my friend slayer buys alot of permits and hasn't had the chance to hunt because of work I can't knock on him if he is able to finally go and he shoots a legal spike or shoots a doe come winter bow.thats not the problem. The problem is guys killing too many deer everyone wants them target bucks they drop 2 3 4 a year who's left to tend to does or shooting 5 plus does a year that's the issue.i won't shoot spikes or young goofy rack bucks but I can't knock another person who does.if I'm after meat I'd rather shoot a doe then a young buck that's just me.

This is the first opening day that my youngest son will be going. He decided to take the cross bow instead of the muzzle loader. He said that he wanted to go in a different direction. Whatever that means. So, it should be good. Can't wait until tomorrow.

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

I was just gonna bowhunt myself but after my spaghetti incidents I better scrap that puppy and use big birdhsot hell if I still can't hit them I better go see the dr for glasses I might as well throw in a prostate exam and diabetes check as well I'm getting there in age and I'm in denial I pulled a muscle in my stomach climbing down yesterday I thought someone took a bat to my stomach and I chopped my finger pretty good blood allover my sneakers and pants lololol I'm a mess

Edited by smoking gun

OP great post. Agree on your opinion that people should hunt for themselves, not for their egos, or the admiration of others. We should all be thankful to the Creator that we were born in America, and can hunt, and enjoy the outdoors. It's about the wonderful ethical pursuit of fair chase whitetail, not the kill. Enjoy, be safe and be thankful we're here and healthy enough to hunt.

"All men die, not all men really live". WW

I tend to agree. There is no way I am shooting a buck I passed earlier - there is no pressure just because I paid for a license or tags. If it's about the money - it's far cheaper to go to ShopRite than it is to hunt - I don't get that mentality at all. If you feel pressure to fill a tag just because you paid for it and u are somehow "entitled" your probably should not hunt at all. If I go out at all during 6-day, it's usually with the bow. NJ can take their stupid 6 buck tags and stick them where the sun don't shine as far as I am concerned, as well as their unlimited antlerless in zones that can no longer sustain it. I would love to see two flexible buck tags per calendar year, use them when and how you like. It would surely change behavior.

Clearly you misunderstood my post.

If I had the choice, i would take a doe during 6 day as i hunt for meat and enjoyment not trophy. Since I dont have a option to take a doe...i am essentially forced to shoot the first buck that i can ethically take.

Messed up if you ask me. Much rather take a tasty tender young doe.

Plus...where i hunt i could easily go 6 days and see 1 or 2 deer total.

Clearly you misunderstood my post.

If I had the choice, i would take a doe during 6 day as i hunt for meat and enjoyment not trophy. Since I dont have a option to take a doe...i am essentially forced to shoot the first buck that i can ethically take.

Oh that makes perfect sense - now that I realize your are FORCED to shoot the first deer you see regardless what it is as long as it's a legal buck.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Not trying to pick on you but I would like to ask: if you could easily hunt for 6 days and see 1 or 2 deer total, why would you shoot a doe there? Sounds like you shouldn't be killing any in that spot. 

Edited by DV1

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

I pass lots of bucks every year hoping that one or two make it to next year. I'll be out with my bow and happy to get a shot at a good doe this week. My advice would be to pass on the smaller bucks and take a doe instead if you're seeing them in your area and it's legal. If you're happy with a spike then shoot it but don't shoot it because someone else will if you don't. That's not a reason to kill a deer. A lot of bucks can evade the orange army and the buck you pass this year, might be your trophy next year. Most of all, have fun, be safe, and enjoy every second you spend in the woods.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

gun-1_zpsa5b2d7e3.png