IGNORED

Long range shooting

Turkeyslayer

2 minutes ago, Coyoteslayer said:

Always wanted to get into it but not enough places around to safely shoot for me. 

Hard to find a place for 200yrds. When I need to practice for western hunts I go to pa. My friend is a member of a shooting range with 350 yards. 2 hr drive 

Edited by Lunatic

1 hour ago, Turkeyslayer said:

How many of you guys shoot long range 500+ yards and what kind of calibers do you use 

Recently attended the long range shooting school at Barbour Creek in Alabama.  Amazing school and instructor, you can check out his video segments on YouTube, you will learn a ton just from his videos. 
We shot 6.5 CM out to 1,000 yds, as those were the class rifles, which were used to better allow bullet movement (with lighter rounds) and learn how to read /adjust for hold off, we didn’t dial in windage, it was totally holds for wind using MOA scopes. 
For hunting purposes, depending on particular game, a better round appears to be the 6.5 PRC, but as you know there is some personal preference involved in choosing a round. 
Check out the videos James Eagleman puts out from Barbour Creek, you’ll get all the info you need. 

Edited by Pathman

I shoot 1000 yards with a Ruger Target/Varmint in 6.5 Creedmoor.  Went to Wolf Precision shooting school in Johnstown, PA (twice I liked so much).  

I belong to Mifflin County Sportsman’s Club and they have a 1000 yard range.  Also shoot at Thunder Valley in Ohio which has targets to a mile.  

I hunt with a Gunwerks rifle in 7mm RM shooting 168 Bergers and practice out to 500 yards with it.

At my farm in NY we shoot 1200+ yards. Very controlled. Wind flags. Load individual rounds. Fun as hell. 

I shoot 6.5 saum. Custom rifle

I know of no place public you can shoot for distance. At least locally.  Need a private location you can shoot and do so safely

LET EM GO SO HE CAN GROW