IGNORED

Best clothing brand for mid to late season

Jackdaniels

Hey guys. I was wondering what you guys are wearing mid to late season. I hunt in an IWOM usually once it's gets under 35 to 40° depending on wind chill. I really like the iwom. But it has its downsides. It's very bulky and a pain for when I'm hunting anything past a 5 minute walk through the woods. 

I know alot of you guys might say sitka and kuiu. But obviously the drawback for me is price point. I'm not cheap. But $1,000 for a jacket and bibs is rough. I also don't want to cheap out and be cold.

I've been looking into kryptek, huntworth, asio, badlands, and first light. 

It's confusing there's so many brands and so much marketing. What do you guys wear? Whats quiet, mobile, and warm?

I already have firstlight merino wool base layers I'm very happy with.

Thanks

Trying to save money .

Look at midway brand stuff 

very moderate priced . 
frazer ridge bibs and jacket are pretty good . 

bibs under a jacket are way warmer than normal pants . 

I just got code of silence mid weight 

it’s great to about 25 but lower temps than that the sleeves don’t have enough insulation 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

2 minutes ago, Jackdaniels said:

Also I usually walk through a ton of thorns and hitch hikers. Very hesitant to some of these fabrics on the shell. 

Buy a burr paw

best twenty bucks you will spend hunting that kind of stuff 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

22 minutes ago, electricstart said:

Alot of quality clothing out there just depends how much you want to spend. It all starts with merino wool base layers for me. I use minus 33. 

IMO 

merino isn’t all it’s hyped up to be . 

a quality wind sheer fleece thermal is warmer . 

even the best heavyweight merino leaves air go through it . .

using 2 layers having wind sheer in them gives better warmth , than just using merino and a wind sheer outer layer 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

18 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

merino isn’t all it’s hyped up to be . 

I agree. Merino is a mid-range wool. If you want really warm, go cashmere. It's too soft to wear on the outside, but as layers underneath it can't be beat. 

I've said this before, but I wear a wicking layer, a light smartwool layer with hoodie, and then three layers of cashmere sweaters with moth hole in them. You can scrounge them at yard sales or your closet or church rummage sales for very little. Then comes a merino camo sweatshirt type layer and/or wind blocking camo, which no longer has to be very warm or expensive. Just wind blocking. When I put that on under a good set of bibs I'm warm as can be to about 20 degrees, even on long sits. If it's colder I go a few more layers. Cashmere is so soft and supple that you don't feel constricted. A couple more of silk or smartwool shirts underneath is also a plus below 20.

This year I contemplated getting a Sitka jacket for real cold sits. But it's been so warm this year with a few excpetions, and my layering with old sweaters on top of a good pair of camo pants and a smartwool or Craft pair of long underwear has convinced me to remain cheap, and not shell out the $$. I haven't even had to wear my First Light bib yet. 

I invested in one large First Lite piece per year (usually $300-400 depending on what you get), and after 3-4 years I have everything I need for all my seasons, and havent bought a new piece of clothing in a few years. Very comfortable, very warm but not overly heavy, incredibly quiet. First Lite has been very rewarding for me, highly recommend. Just my opinion, to each their own. I will say I have heard others complain that it doesn’t hold up well to thorns/needles

and dont forget the heated socks, their most important 😂

Edited by ModernOutdoorsMan

I use only one Kuiu product for cold weather. Its their Super Down Ultra  Jacket. Its a mid-layer. 6.4 oz and it rolls into its own tiny pocket. When I got it made me laugh because I did not think something so light could make a difference.  Now its always in my backpack and its a game changer. If you get cold just put it on, under your outer layer, and you are toasty.