IGNORED

based only on my own observations, goose numbers are way down

mazzgolf

Well, today is the last day of goose season in the south.

Harvested this morning the final goose from my friends' field (potentially the last one ever taken from this field - might be losing this field to developers in the coming year).

I don't know what other people are seeing, but just based on my observations over the past couple months, I have definitely seen a drop in the number of Canadas compared to years past. In years past, I used to see waves and waves of flocks of geese, hundreds and hundreds, fly over my house (which is nearby) and over this field and over adjacent fields, and it usually started around November/December and goes through January.

This year, each day I've been out, I have seen at most a few dozen geese (not a thousand, not hundreds .. just a few dozen).

I don't know if it's just been too warm and the migrators aren't here yet, or if the migrators are now utilizing a different flyway due to all the development and loss of habitat around here, or if the numbers are so low that they just don't exist anymore. I don't know what is going on, but this season was really bad. Kinda sad, really.:-(

image.png.83e62ea80e804b648227e7a3083eb3ac.png

The last 2 weeks of December I saw more geese than anytime in my life. I never seen geese in some of the ponds in such great numbers on a wma like those 2 weeks. And couple days in a row the amount of geese in the air at one time was stunning. I don't hunt geese do font usually pay attention much to them. But seeing stuff I haven't witnessed before did catch my attention. 

I have seen a severe decline in central jersey for sure. Used to be an avid goose hunter. About 5 years ago I sold all my decoys, blinds, and ammo. It was getting worse a few years prior to that and I gave it up. 

We would have 5 man limits of 15 birds in about 2-3 hours when it was good. 

That's on migratory geese. Not residents. 

Edited by archer36

Just now, mazzgolf said:

Glad to hear some people are seeing large amounts of them still - I might have to search for different locations next year. They could just be utilizing different areas now.

What people may be seeing are resident geese. They never leave but are usually in places you can't hunt. 

Glad you got 1..sucks that land might be gone in the next few years..if not sooner🥺😭

Yea i'm seeing less and less too. But not enough to drop it to 1 pp pd 😒

I was bowhunting Sun and yesterday afternoon in 2 different spots and had about 100 total both days flyover after 4pm till dark.

Maryland used to be the goose capital of the world. Hunted there 3 times back in the late 70's. Then geese stopped migrating that far. Changes in climate and farming practices are the root causes.  Then they went to a one bird limit there because of the lack of geese. Many goose hunting outfitters went out of business. You're not going to spend good money to kill one goose. 

1 hour ago, deadonshot2 said:

The last 2 weeks of December I saw more geese than anytime in my life. I never seen geese in some of the ponds in such great numbers on a wma like those 2 weeks. And couple days in a row the amount of geese in the air at one time was stunning. I don't hunt geese do font usually pay attention much to them. But seeing stuff I haven't witnessed before did catch my attention. 

That’s was really the only cold weather we had. It’s been warm. Birds probably aren’t pushing as far south. 

I'm your Huckleberry :devious:

My land owner called me on Jan 10 saying he had 2000 birds out in the cut bean field n that I need to come tomorrow.   I laughed n said season is over today but I’ll come out n have a drink with u.  

he didnt see any snows yet this far.