IGNORED

Looking for a Deer and Duck/Goose combo hunt

Herd Buck

Hey guys was looking for recommendations for a combo hunt prefer deer and ducks/geese but also open to other combo hunts others have been on. 

No preference in state just want real feedback and recommendations for a guide any of you have been out with that you would recommend. 

Plan to go in 2024 so know I will need to look to book something soon. 

thanks! 

Edited by Herd Buck

Budget isn’t an issue and drive or fly no preference… I will get to the show but looking for real experiences from guys around here think most of us have similar expectations.  

Also have heard mixed reviews from people that met guides at the show with no local references a lot of bad experiences out there. 

6 hours ago, Rather Be Hunting said:

Gonna depend on your budget and whether you want to fly or drive. Would recommend you make a trip to the outdoors show in Harrisburg PA beginning of February. All kinds of outfitters to talk to and see what they offer. 

Agree this is a great suggestion, even if you don't find something there it's still a nice day.  (Go during the week if you can, weekends can become irritating with the crowds)

You will need to coordinate your seasons with trying for two different species.  What time of year you looking for this to happen. 

If DIY was an option I would suggest northern zone of NY state Lake Ontario area,  late October to early December window..both ducks and deer in season.  You might even be able to find one of these fishing/ salmon/charter guides that are multi species and will guide for you.

Texas will also have ducks and deer in together at times. Never deer hunted Texas  but I have duck hunted November and January in Texas, if the birds are in it can be pretty great. Lots of variety and if shooting well, easily fill a limit.  Unfortunately I can't recommend the guide they are not doing it anymore. 

You can try a friend of mine in Illinois. 

Area is tucked in between the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers. 

He does deer hunting and I believe he would just hook you up with a local for the duck hunting. 

Theses guys shoot a lot of ducks. 

Several guys here have deer  hunted with him. 

15 hour drive or fly into St Louis and drive 2 hours

Kyle 

Illinois Hills and Hollers Outfitters

www.liftxrentals.com

IMO you are looking for two totally different entities most likely ONE outfitter cannot offer you. If you go out in the midwest, you're going to waterfowl hunt, or you're going for deer, not both and expect to shoot a good deer quick then kick back and shoot ducks. You rarely see outfitters pumping both, they typically pump one or the other or you're getting outsourced if its something out of their wheelhouse.

What are your expectations as far as a deer (assuming you want some decent buck), and expectations as far as waterfowl? That's going to really narrow down your range of services to be recommended, or at least give people a sense of your expectations to point you in the right direction. 

Chenrossi looking for a whitetail 120” or better and/or a mulie of 135” basically looking to hunt different area not looking for a limited trophy hunt and most of the guys in my group have never killed a truly big deer and aren’t “trophy hunters”. 

Would like to spend time in the morning or afternoons chasing birds as we’d get to bust chops and be around each other more also as the guys aren’t trophy hunters they usually kill a buck the first day. 

There are a bunch of outfitters in the Dakotas, Texas, Arkansas, Nebraska, etc that offer both deer and pheasant and deer and ducks hoping to find someone with real first hand experience. 

And if they outsource me like TCooks reference that’s fine as I know he’s been with them before and had good experience.